tracking in the snow - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default tracking in the snow

Pointless? Or not?
glowingtoadfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2015, 07:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Why not? Fritz runs with his nose burried in the snow.....There are smells down there.

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Debanneball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2015, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I personally don't see the benefit. I trialed in Nov in 50 mph winds with dry cover....we passed, but barely. The next day the people trialing had no wind, nice frost cover and scored quite high. A week later a trial had 2" of snow cover and light wind. Everyone scored high and even a 100 pt track.
We will track in the snow, just to track, but it isn't really for 'training' purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Why not? I know I will never trial in the snow because of my location, but I still want to get the dogs out so I will. We have been on the crap end of snow fall lately, so I haven't had to decide if I will still track in deep snow, or head for a lower elevation. I had both dogs out a couple of weeks ago while it was dumping, but it hadn't really accumulated much. It was fun - but my fingers froze from baiting the steps!

, JHD, aka "the devil"

, 3/21/14, aka TJ

Levi vom Grunenfeld, RIP 9/5/04 - 3/4/13
mspiker03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

It snows a lot here. Our trainer says snow is good for teaching article indication, so maybe we will start work on that.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'll probably track in the snow with my club on Sunday, but it will be just to track, not so much training...we'll do serpentines and acute corners. If I was working a young dog, I'd keep it fun too. Snow tracking is harder on the handler than the dog, for sure!

and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2015, 08:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowingtoadfly View Post
It snows a lot here. Our trainer says snow is good for teaching article indication, so maybe we will start work on that.

It is *supposed* to snow a lot where I live. Unfortunately, it hasn't snowed nearly as much as it should the last few years

, JHD, aka "the devil"

, 3/21/14, aka TJ

Levi vom Grunenfeld, RIP 9/5/04 - 3/4/13
mspiker03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2015, 08:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

We have had subzero temps in WI all week, so the dogs are digging at the couch and bickering more than usual. I wonder if we will have tracking practice this week. If we are, they are going! They need something to do!
Old 01-10-2015, 09:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

When I was training for search and rescue, I used the snow a lot because of where I live. I would do tracks in the snow and she loved it. I also would take a hot water bottle, wrap a shirt in it and have someone bury it. Then they would leave. She would follow the track, then since there was tracks leaving start to follow them, then realize there was a stronger human scent from the snow and she learned very quickly to start digging. Had lots of fun using snow in training work.
wyominggrandma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.