German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Tracking (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/tracking/)
-   -   Creative Tracking Ideas (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/tracking/404690-creative-tracking-ideas.html)

Woofen511 01-31-2014 03:49 PM

Creative Tracking Ideas

I have a new puppy on the way and just feel like brainstorming possible work outlets I could raise this dog towards. Depending on drive, I would hopefully like to get him specialized in some form of tracking. I'm not really so much interested in sport, but something truly useful. My last dog I introduced to substance tracking as a pup just to keep him busy and it ended up leading him to career as a narcotics detection dog for the state police. This new puppy I will be the permanent handler And will not send him to an agency to work him. I'm just looking for creative things I could train him to track that could possibly end up as part time work, a hobby that has a possibility to generate some income or maybe some other small business incentive. I'm trying to come up with really unique ideas. For example I have heard of dogs being trained to track bed bugs and are hired to detect them in homes, something seemingly random like that. I am starting my career as a wildlife biologist and am even considering training for finding specific very cryptic and elusive wildlife where research is limited by finding the animals (maybe certain salamanders that primarily live under bark or debris and can only by located during small windows of the year when they come out breed), possibly giving me a unique place in a research team. Just curious if anybody has interesting ideas they have that could be a satisfying work outlet for my dog that is also practical work for me. Thanks for any input! :)

Kaimeju 01-31-2014 05:19 PM

I have heard of dogs being used for invasive species detection. Don't know anything about it though.

David Taggart 01-31-2014 05:55 PM

You can help Humane Society by tracking poachers in US.
Poaching : The Humane Society of the United States

MadLab 01-31-2014 06:02 PM

Great idea Taggart. Hobby tracking a guy with a gun.

Go easy on the random generated answers

MadLab 01-31-2014 06:12 PM

I've a friend who trained his dog to find ambergris which is whale poop. It is worth a lot in the perfume business.

A dog will find any scent once he knows he'll get a ball or a treat in return.

I just get a ball with a hole in it or a plastic canister and put some smell like celery inside and wave it around the dogs nose. He knows the ball/can contains the smell and wants the ball/can. I'll go hide the ball or canister in another room and send the dog in to find it.

There are many methods for different games with scent. It does wear out a dog and gets them using there noses.

Kaimeju 02-01-2014 10:16 PM

Another one I heard in class today was checking for sewage/gas pipeline leaks.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

onyx'girl 02-01-2014 10:23 PM

There is $ in morel mushroom/truffles hunting, antler shed hunting(though both are seasonal and geographical). A few forums and websites for info on helping to train for it.

I personally wouldn't want a dog to do the bedbug type indication. I wouldn't want to bring anything hitching a ride on my dog back home!

Woofen511 02-02-2014 01:27 AM

Thanks for your input everyone! Oo antlers is a weird one I haven't heard of yet hehe