Tracking but not police? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tracking but not police?

I'm doing schutzhund with our female, but the father of our male is training in bomb detection and tracking is really something I would like to explore in depth. Are there any applications of tracking that do no involve having to be a police officer or giving the dog to a K-9 unit? In other words is there any application of tracking where I could be the handler in the tracking situation, not having to give him to a police handler or similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

If you are a member of a search and rescue team, yes. Though sport tracking is not the approach typically taken or even police tracking as most searches involved contaminated and aged starts - typically a SAR dog is used either as an on lead trailing dog or an offlead airscent dog.

Sometimes you can work one on one with a police department and not be part of a team but teams usually can work with multiple departments and you should consider the need of some way to ensure liability coverage /workmen's comp.

Some teams, however, do not allow dogs with any bite training. Some police departments don't want to field any dogs with bite training for search. Perceived Liability...plenty of threads on that...no intent to start another.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was looking into SAR as well. I would need to take the courses and become certified myself as well before joining a group correct? That seems like a good prospect.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

have the dog evaluated for her hunt/ search drives, her drive in tracking and problem solving .

how dedicated are you?

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am very dedicated but just starting out in this type of training world so I have a lot to learn, I personally feel like I've been doing a great job so far and I take direction well from trainers and do what needs to be done. The male is only a month old so he won't be at our house for a bit but my female is almost 7 months and started tracking about a month ago. Members at our club are surprised how quickly she has picked it up but obviously that's not a formal evaluation. Would I find a SAR team to evaluate that or elsewhere?
Old 12-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Each group is different; contact a SAR team and find out. We require new members to have minimal SAR certification before they go on a search-and same for the dogs - must also be certified before searching but all that is coordinated through the team with the appropriate agencies.

I assume teams in the area would evaluate you and the dog. The right people are much harder to find than the right dogs. It is a huge commitment both in time and in money.

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
Old 12-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you, I will look into that. We will be moving near Kansas City in May but we currently live in Oklahoma so I will check the area to see if any groups have time to evaluate.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

This is a team in your area which has a FAQ page. If they say to read something BEFORE contacting them (which they do) be sure to do so. Teams need folks who can follow directions

About SAR

Old 12-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Oh I'm a researching psycho. Anything I do I read and gather info far in excess of what is required or necessary so I'm sure they'll at least love that I will be well prepared thank! I will take a look at their page and info
Old 02-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am in a similar boat with you... I would like to explore scent training, but not in police work. My pup and I are just completing our beginners obedience class. I did ask the teacher what to do next and she mentioned scent work. She said that search and rescue can be done should Mika excel in this area.

So, perhaps there is a trainer near you who knows what scent work training should be done that would best flow into search and rescue work...
MustLoveShepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.