2nd tracking lesson some questions for the pros? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

dragging bait is something I've never done, I don't understand the reasoning for it. I'd rather have my dog discriminate the disturbed ground/untouched.
But I've heard people do it when there are problems with not being able to leave food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

people do drag food, and if there is a problem i can see maybe trying it. but, it is just one more thing to have to subtract later on and may cause other issues. If Deb is using enough food on the track and Benny is food motivated there shouldn't be a need for dragging any bait. although sometimes dogs are to food motivated and they are to busy enhaling the food and never understand the natural ground scent and the footsteps in it. this is where alot of people just reward on the article and either don't use food at all, or maybe one pice of food a leg. all depends on the dog. right now Benny has just started, so i wouldn't do anything besides the general beginner tracking, until he has progressed and you see a problem.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I was responding to the crow issue with my bait drag suggestion way back when. She should probably address her questions to her trainer regardless as she is seeing Benny's progress and possible problems that will crop up.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

agree..........the trainer is there and can see whats going on, although i can understand her trying to get some info just to be on top of it. as with any info online you have to sift through things, go according to the dog and learn as you go. but the main thing is having fun with your dog...........
Old 04-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #25 (permalink)
Elite Member

We are at a new park right now. He just easily followed a 40 yard track with one 90' turn. It is warm and the grass is dry, recently cut. I put a piece of kibble in about every other step. He skipped over some drops, but stayed on track. Where the track crossed a side walk he seemed to lose scent as he crossed but he picked up the scent right away after crossing. When he reached the article which was a sock with a high value treat I praised him and had him give it to me.

I then took out the treat and gave it to him along with some more from my bag. Now he is resting in the shade with his Elite Ball.

I understood the dragging to be a solution to the crow problem. I am afraid if I let the track sit for 10-20 minutes

@font-face { font-family: "MS 明朝"; }@font-face { font-family: "Cambria Math"; }@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 10pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Cambria; }.MsoChpDefault { font-family: Cambria; }.MsoPapDefault { margin-bottom: 10pt; }div.WordSection1 { page: WordSection1; } I am addressing my questions to the trainer. She is very good, but I don't want to be a pain! She thinks Benny could get his TD next year! (I don't want to mess him up)

I understood the dragging to be a solution to the crow problem. I am afraid if I let the track sit for 10-20 minutes

It is good to hear others experiences. I love seeing Benny focused, thinking and problem solving. Maybe he would have done better if I had started before he was 3.

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1007494

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/610245.html
Debbieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

i think you guys are going to do fine. and with alot of practice he will do well. lots of dog start tracking at a later age and do very well. Have fun with it, once he gets good it will be a great activity for you guys.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #27 (permalink)

Don't worry about him missing food. It's tracking, not food finding
sabledog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabledog View Post
Don't worry about him missing food. It's tracking, not food finding
not sure why all that code appeared in my last post, but anyway,I think he is getting the idea that the goal is to find the article to get his reward. For the past two days I have him tracking for his breakfast. This morning before work I laid a 50 yard track and let it sit for 15 minutes.

Benny couldn't wait to get the harness on. He followed it easily, veered off once to pee on a tree, but I told him "back to work" and he immediately got back on and found the sock, which he picked up and gave to me. I rewarded him with some chicken and then we happily ran home and he got his breakfast.

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1007494

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/610245.html
Debbieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #29 (permalink)

When he veers off, I would use your track command I stead of "get back to work." It makes it clearer what you want from him, IMO.

Ps. You have a Borzoi. I'm totally fascinated by the breed.
sabledog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

ok, i would celebrate the tracking and try to do his peeing before the tracking begins. you don't want him getting into the habit of peeing while tracking. if he does be sure to correct in a way he understands. just like some dogs will start rolling in stuff while tracking, not a good habit to get into. but if you are correcting the right way he should understand. alot of people let their dogs smell and pee/poop before hand, and i would also NOT feed him before tracking. if he's tracking in the am, no breakfast, if he is tracking in the late afternoon, no supper.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.