First week of tracking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default First week of tracking

Since our first tracking session last Monday I have been able to track with Benny at least once every day in conditions varying from very wet grass to dry, and with winds, calm to about 15 mph, light rain and sunshine,

He is now easily following a 30 yard track and for the past two days I have left him home while going to the park across the street to lay the track so he is not watching. I am also putting less kibble, on the track.

When he follows the track and finds the "jackpot" of treats he seems to wonder what he did to deserve my praise. He almost seems confused because he was allowed to pull, sniff, eat stuff off the ground,

Julia has me using the word "such" because I have been using "find it" when I want Benny to find my keys or toys and this means he can air scent, look under couch cushions etc ( It has become a hide and seek game word to him) . I taught him "such" by dropping treats on the tile floor and saying the word! . The first few times I dropped a treat on the floor and said "such" he looked at me and barked because he thought I was giving him the "speak" command and he needed to speak before being allowed the treat! Once I began looking down as I said "such" he understood the difference!

I would love to hear the experience others have had with tracking.

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1007494

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/610245.html
Debbieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

sounds like Benny is getting it, thats great! are you using more than one article yet?

it makes it fun when you have a dog that is dedicated to the track. once you get into it, i think its so important to learn to trust the dog. at some points in the track depending on the conditions you might have some interuptions while the dog is trying to follow the scent. wind for us can be challenging.Sam might stop and air scent but i trust him once he picks up the track. once they get good at tracking, its fun to let someone else lay the track so you don't know where it is, and just totally trust the dog. you might not be to that point yet, but something to try later on.

the biggest thing is just get out there and enjoy it!
Old 05-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Benny is now doing about 200 yards of track that is aged about 20 minutes with two turns and finding three article ( socks) which he picks up and gives to me. I am only putting food drops after every three or four steps.

We are definitely enjoying it and have our 4th session on Friday.

At our lesson session the trainer gave Benny an A and me a C-. She said I was making it hard on him by starting next to a tree, and having turns by bushes and walls because of all the other odors these things give off. I had been using them as land marks.

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

Old 05-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

as i remember your first post, your just doing this for fun? no competing? picking up an article in SchH, would be a no no, and hard to break. but, if its just for fun koodos to that!

i'd say that Benny is doing great with the longer track and the article indication. and don't feel bad the handler always gets a C when first learning. sounds like you have a good trainer, and she is right about laying tracks beside things that give off deep scents. deep brush covered ground, different types of vegetation etc. definitely would lay more food around those things until he gets more used to it. also, if you are doing anything on paved or cemented areas..........have you done anything in wooded areas, or just open fields?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

We are doing AKC Tracking so the trainer said it is fine if he picks up the articles. I trained him last year to pick up things /i drop and give them to me so he just naturally began doing this on the track,

So far we have just been in parks and have not tried other types of terrain excpet crossing a side walk.
I am jus doing it for fun but the trainer wants us to go for a TD so we will see.

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

Old 05-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

i think you should go for a TD, if things progress, it would be fun! takes a while to perfect things, i wouldn't be in a hurry, just keep it in the back of your mind. took us a good year or more to get there.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.