just starting tracking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default just starting tracking

Benny will be 3 in April and I have decided to start tracking.
We have been playing "Find the keys, toy and hide and seek" since he was a puppy. I think the focus needed in tracking will be good for my easily amped up boy.

We will be taking 5 private lessons from Julia Priest who our trainer Lisa Maze recomended. I am very blessed to have great trainers around who know GSD's!

Julia trains for both Schutzhund style and AKC style tracking. I would love to hear from those who do both. What is the difference?
I am not looking for titles; just trying to bring Benny to his full potential and give him a happy life.

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1007494

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/610245.html
Debbieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 12:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

If you are just tracking for fun, I'd go with the AKC style of tracking - it is a more natural and instinctive way for the dogs to track.

Schutzhund tracking is very stylized - dogs MUST track, nose to the ground, footstep to footstep, and NEVER air scent. The training is painstaking, and takes a lot of problem solving skills from you as the trainer to teach your dog to track in such a precise manner, but it is very satisfying to figure out how to overcome tracking problems.

But if you are just looking for a new activity, AKC style tracking is probably better suited for a fun challenge. And you can still decide to go ahead and get some AKC tracking titles if you wanted. You could do Schutzhund style tracking, and enter AKC events and earn titles if you wanted, but it would be more work and effort than just going with AKC style tracking. (Not saying that AKC style tracking is easier, just different - it is still a lot of work and effort, but it is more about going from point A to point B, while in Schutzhund style tracking, every move from point A to point B is judged, evaluated, and graded - oops dog hesitated for a second, dog lifted his head for a nanosecond, dog changed his pace moving a bit faster, dog overshot the corner by a couple of feet before coming back to the track, dog did not lie down straight when indicating the article, and so on, and so on . . . ).

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 12:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I just brought Stark out today for his first track of the year!

I would have to agree with Lucia, AKC/CKC would be a much "easier" training endevour than schutzhund style tracking. If you are not looking for titles, then I would definitely go with AKC/CKC.

If I hadn't started Stark out doing schH style tracking, I would of done CKC.

Have fun with it! I enjoy tracking my dogs, there is a 'zen' there that I can't find with anything else...
Old 04-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks guys. AKC sounds like where I want to start. We have our first session a week from tomorrow. I ordered Benny a harness. Julia said to bring lots of treats and his favorite toys to start with. She said my biothane long line will be perfect.
Julia lives right next door to the herding trainer who gave Benny his herding test when he was 18 months and she is Julia's herding trainer! Maybe we will go from tracking lesson to herding lesson ( not on the same day!) I ordered this harness Julia recommended in a medium and hope it fits. Benny's girth is 35 measured loose. Med said 31-36 and large was 37-43

J and J Dog Supplies: Leather Tracking Harnesses

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1007494

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/610245.html
Debbieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I've heard a lot of good stuff about Julia on this forum - you are lucky to have her as a trainer.

That harness looks really nice! I think you guys are gonna really enjoy this.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.