Should I back off a bit? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should I back off a bit?

I'm using Glen R Johnsons Tracking book and had great success in the first 4 days. However on day 5, the tracks are 80,160,320 yds and I think this (the 320 at least) is a little too much for my dog at this early stage. She's 15mo. She stays on the 80 and 160 tracks (80 is double laid, 160 single, not aged) fine, maybe getting a little distracted during the 160 but always coming back to it after encouragement. On her first 320 this morning, it was like I was taking her for a walk. She tracked well on first portion, lost interest but eventually locked back on the last 1/3 after some encouragement.

Should I back off the long tracks for a while and concentrate on shorter <=160 ones?

Any tips/ideas?
pfitzpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'd back way off, I think and work on her motivation to track at all and give her a reason to be there.

Length takes focus and "nose practice" -- and it's easy to add later. So, get the picture you want at 80 paces--single laid.

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackthornGSD View Post
I'd back way off, I think and work on her motivation to track at all and give her a reason to be there.

Length takes focus and "nose practice" -- and it's easy to add later. So, get the picture you want at 80 paces--single laid.
That makes sense. Thanks. I was a little concerned about the huge length increases, doubling every day during the first week. She is very good at 80, single or double laid (in a straight line).
pfitzpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Look online for some other tracking resources. There's so much out there and there are many things that will work. Some things work better than others and sometimes it depends on what venue you are training for--AKC tracking, IPO(schutzhund) tracking, or SAR trailing--as to what you want to focus on in your training.

But you can't go wrong by laying a good foundation. I'd vary your lengths between 80 and 160 feet, single track only, and make sure she is clear on what you're doing and that it's a fun thing to do. Also, you'll want to start aging things up to 30 minutes, I think, before you move on.

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just continue to guide and encourage your dog to track....eventually it will become a habit to track for food. Tracking needs patience and time.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Like any other facet of training, go as slow as you need to go to ensure forward progress...easier to build progress than fix problems

Change only one variable at a time, whether it is age, bait, distance, or turns.

Most importantly, move at the speed you are comfortable with, since you know your dog best.
www.vandesterke.com
Tim Connell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.