German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Thinking About Becoming A Breeder? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/thinking-about-becoming-breeder/)
-   -   Planning my first breeding this fall (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/thinking-about-becoming-breeder/452609-planning-my-first-breeding-fall.html)

Twink90 05-21-2014 01:02 AM

Planning my first breeding this fall

My girl Trinty turned 2 today! We have been training in schutzhund & AKC since she was 6 months old. Show record
5 months took VP1 at regional conformation
16 mo got her BH & SG conformation at regionals

AKC 10 mo Reserve Champion conformation
13 mo earned her BN title
14 mo got CGC title
Has 2 legs in rally novice
1 leg in obedience novice

My mom found a beautiful west German show line that's going to breed my girl in trade for pick pup. Wallaby Feetback has his BH & FH. Am I nervous yes I've never bred a dog before always had them fixed but Trinity is special. She is. Working showline mx.
Both dogs have A ratings on hips & elbows. I will be testing for DM & STD before breeding.

Now I'm researching everything I could possibly need for a pregnant dog & how to raise healthy pups! I'm going to be a wreck till pups arrive & she won't even be in heat till sept. Both dogs are on pedigreedatabase
Darkwing Von Twinks Trinity

devinh 05-21-2014 09:35 AM

Post some pics if you can.

onyx'girl 05-21-2014 09:49 AM

SG Darkwing Von Twinks Trinity
Wallaby Feetback = http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/bree...mother=2048339

Have you found a breeder to mentor you? That would help in the whelping and puppy raising.

Twink90 05-21-2014 01:24 PM

My mother owns Trinitys dad so she is helping. I have 2 friends that ran a hunt club kennel & are pros at birthing pups. They will be by my side when it's time as I'm going to be a basket case :-)
I also have an amazing trainer that will help me. I do actually have some pups already spoken for which is awesome. They should be amazing pups with both parents being tracking machines & stunning.
I have recent photos of Wallaby as that's a baby pic on the database page. Just not sure how to post picks on here.

Twink90 05-21-2014 02:34 PM

Wallaby

1 Attachment(s)
I made an album. & put pictures of Trinity & recent photos of Wallaby this is Wallaby the malehttp://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-sept-2014.jpg\uc0\u8236 }

martemchik 05-21-2014 02:42 PM

Any reason you're not waiting to get an IPO1 on her before you breed? And why are you going with a stud that only has a BH?

Twink90 05-21-2014 03:21 PM

Wallaby has BH & FH his pedigree isn't updated. I'm choosing to breed her now & with this male for a couple reasons. Were ready for a pup to start training, my trainer suggested it to help her mature & increase her defense. These pups will be more suitable as showline & pet homes which are the people that have been asking me for pups that have watched Trinity grow up.
She won't be bred again till we get our IPO & she will be bred to a strong working line to increase the drive. Hope that makes sense

hunterisgreat 05-21-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twink90 (Post 5548081)
Wallaby has BH & FH his pedigree isn't updated. I'm choosing to breed her now & with this male for a couple reasons. Were ready for a pup to start training, my trainer suggested it to help her mature & increase her defense. These pups will be more suitable as showline & pet homes which are the people that have been asking me for pups that have watched Trinity grow up.
She won't be bred again till we get our IPO & she will be bred to a strong working line to increase the drive. Hope that makes sense

Don't you have a pup to train right now? lol

If you breed to a strong working line, a couple things to consider...

Pups may get the working line's stronger aggression/defense drives without the necessary nerve strength to handle that drive. You will also lose the folks who want what your female is, as the pups won't be that similar to her.

It would be more advisable to find a strong showline than cross IMO.

Chris Wild 05-21-2014 03:32 PM

Good luck with the breeding. I must comment on this however...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twink90 (Post 5548081)
my trainer suggested it to help her mature & increase her defense.

Hogwash. She just turned 2. She will mature in her own time. Same for defense. She will either develop it or she won't. She doesn't need a litter for that to happen and this sort of thinking should not have any bearing on deciding whether or not to breed a dog.

hunterisgreat 05-21-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Wild (Post 5548137)
Good luck with the breeding. I must comment on this however...

Hogwash. She just turned 2. She will mature in her own time. Same for defense. She will either develop it or she won't. She doesn't need a litter for that to happen and this sort of thinking should not have any bearing on deciding whether or not to breed a dog.

I hope its not true... or after Katya's first breeding I'll have to keep her in a box under my bed when not training lol