German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Thinking About Becoming A Breeder? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/thinking-about-becoming-breeder/)
-   -   Hoping the Breeder can respond and Help! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/thinking-about-becoming-breeder/413194-hoping-breeder-can-respond-help.html)

Lauri & The Gang 02-19-2014 11:42 AM

Hoping the Breeder can respond and Help!

This dog is in need of a new home or she will be euthanized:

V4 Leila Toril Gene Haus Juris SchH2 Kkl1 Female Spayed DOB Jan 16, 2006 Tattoo AE6FULS Sire Liedo vom Kuckucksland Dam: Vanta vom Wolfratshausenn Registered AKC, and WDCA Trained Protection Dog- Schutzhund- Great in the Blinds, protection and tracking. She is not good with other animals. She is a great family dog, indoor/outdoor. She is very loving. I was hoping to transition her to a service animal but that has not worked out

? Washington German Shepherd Rescue ? ADOPTIONS ?*RescueMe.Org

http://images.rescueme.org/14/02/17/14-02-17-00282x.jpg

The breeder has been contacted.

Lilie 02-19-2014 12:54 PM

In a case such as this, who would notify the breeder? The owner? The shelter? Both?

holland 02-19-2014 02:36 PM

Hopefully a owner would notify the breeder before the dog ended up in the shelter-She's a pretty girl

Liesje 02-19-2014 02:41 PM

RescueMe is a site that anyone can use. To me this looks like the current owner is simply using it as a place to list the dog, not that this dog is actually in a shelter or being surrendered to a rescue. I would hope the owner had contacted the breeder.

Heidigsd 02-19-2014 02:45 PM

It says "Urgent: This animal could be euthanized if not adopted soon" on top of her picture :(

Poor girl I hope someone can help her.

Kaimeju 02-19-2014 03:18 PM

Sad. I hope the owner is just trying to use the site as a way to find a suitable home for the dog and not because they would actually euthanize her.

This would breach most breeder contracts, yes? Do breeders ever approve of online listings as a way to rehome dogs?

Makobytes 02-19-2014 03:27 PM

Thank you everyone contacting me. I just found out about Leila yesterday and we are in the process of working with the owner to release and fly Leila back to me. She is a wonderful dog and will be cared for until we find her a forever home. Thank you Hugh for posting for me - I just joined and the forum doesn't allow me to submit yet. Megan Judge, Haus Juris German Shepherds (703) 772-4303

Liesje 02-19-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaimeju (Post 5050058)
This would breach most breeder contracts, yes? Do breeders ever approve of online listings as a way to rehome dogs?

Depends on the contract. Most ask for "first right of refusal" which means if someone intends to sell the dog, they must offer the dog back to the breeder first at their price. It's unrealistic to think that breeders require a person to GIVE a dog back, but it's absolutely ethical for a breeder to have first right of refusal (and use it).

Some people really just have no idea that many breeders WANT to help, if not get dogs back at their own expense. They think they are doing the right thing by NOT burdening the breeder.

Makobytes 02-19-2014 03:44 PM

I just spoke with Leila's family/owner again and they assured me that she is currently home with them and have no plans to euthanasia her. I am still trying to get Leila released and flown to me. Thanks again, Megan

Lucy Dog 02-19-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makobytes (Post 5050106)
Thank you everyone contacting me. I just found out about Leila yesterday and we are in the process of working with the owner to release and fly Leila back to me. She is a wonderful dog and will be cared for until we find her a forever home. Thank you Hugh for posting for me - I just joined and the forum doesn't allow me to submit yet. Megan Judge, Haus Juris German Shepherds (703) 772-4303

Happy to hear you're trying to do the right thing by her. Good luck getting her back.