German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Thinking About Becoming A Breeder? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/thinking-about-becoming-breeder/)
-   -   Opinions...people asking us to breed our dogs? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/thinking-about-becoming-breeder/393826-opinions-people-asking-us-breed-our-dogs.html)

mcdanfam 01-09-2014 09:58 PM

Opinions...people asking us to breed our dogs?

10 Attachment(s)
This is not something we are interested in....these are our first shepherds.....never considered breeding or allowing people to use them for breeding....not sure what it would be involved, but seems like a lot to learn and worry. Someone mentioned this site to post pics and get opinions if I should consider it...I personally would never do the female...because we don't want puppies here...and don't want the headache of it...but opinions about Miles would be welcomed. I read tonight, for proper breeding, people want multiple titles, conformations especially for our working lines shepherds. If miles does not fit the bill...I don't want to start any process of conformations, something that is focused on interest in breeding if he is not what the breed is looking for. He is a year old, so he has some growing to do and filling out to do....he has tons of work, play, prey drive....but his looks don't seem like other shepherds....even though we know he is, and his litter mate/sister looks like shepherd and the papers and family lines say he is...people say he does not look like a shepherd. Thank you for any opinions and advice....has anyone gone through conformations? These are the pics I had access to on my phone....if you need different angles I will add them. [ATTACH]162282Attachment 162354Attachment 162362Attachment 162370[/ATTACH]Attachment 162290Attachment 162298Attachment 162306Attachment 162314Attachment 162322Attachment 162346

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Jax08 01-09-2014 10:02 PM

He doesn't look like anything BUT a shepherd!

Why conformation? Go train and trial him. Find out what he's really got. And then decide if he will contribute to the breed.

misslesleedavis1 01-09-2014 10:03 PM

Wha????? people say he doesnt look like a shepherd? that crazy, when i looked at him the first thought that went thru my head was "wow what a good looking shepherd" ....jeeze..i have a bi colored male which i love the look of alot but your guy is just a stunner!

OUbrat79 01-09-2014 10:09 PM

I get the question of whether or not my boy is a shepherd all the time. I think a lot of it has to do with his color. He is a sable like your guy. I think that is what throws everyone off.

As far as breeding him goes I personally wouldn't do it unless I planned on becoming a breeder and dedicating a lot of time and energy to it. There is just so much involved. He is very stunning though. Makes me think of my Ammo.

middleofnowhere 01-09-2014 10:11 PM

The on-the-street people asking you these questions would not be people knowing enough to better the breed. My first long hair would get "Do you plan to breed her? I really want a long haired shep!" inquiries. Sorry no. There are plenty of people that do responsible breeding out there but I doubt that they are the people looking to mate their dogs with yours.

To do this responsibly you need to know a lot more about pedigrees than I do. You also have to have a bunch of health clearances (hips, elbows etc.) Hopefully at least a certain amount of performance titles if you want to sell a pup to anyone that tries to trial it.

lhczth 01-09-2014 10:14 PM

These photos are not really suitable for this forum. If you want conformation critiques please read the two stickies at the top of the forum. They will give you a better idea about what is required.

Thank you ADMIN

mcdanfam 01-09-2014 10:15 PM

These are our first shepherds...we thought and read the straight back was very much part of the distinction of the working line...a lady that does lots of AKC shows...not sure if her experience is the best or if she has her own idea of what a shepherd is....she told us he needed to have a rounded back....I explained we had bought the working line...one parent was a import and the other was from an import...so the family had straight backs and all the dogs in the family are registered...in Germany, US or both. She stood her ground and I just switched the topic to training....:-)
Some people will bully you with their opinions and never understand or hear anything but their idea or opinion. They are both in training every Saturday....a guy who trains owns and works five of his own working line dogs...very talented man... Definitely challenging our dogs....the pups just turned a year....trying to decide what direction to head as far as trial or competitions.
As far as conformation....one lady that gave us her number, who was very interested, said if we agreed and she was able to use him as a stud after researching family lines....she said he would need conformation....??? That is why I mentioned conformation! I have read all day...and I feel like I am on information over load...but since they reached a year old and are getting so advanced in training...we really have to decide in what direction we will be heading...
Thank you....I love them both so much...but know he has sharper features than Millie who has the classic shepherd eyes, mussel and ears...:-/

Castlemaid 01-09-2014 10:15 PM

What a handsome pair!!! Not that many people are familiar with working line sables - I know the first time I saw a sable, I did not recognize it as a German Shepherd, so used was I to only seeing black and tans.

It seems that most of us, at one time or another, get asked if we would breed our dogs. But you are thinking along the right lines - doing it right is a huge responsibility. People asking you to breed may just be looking for a puppy on the cheap, and that is a pretty poor reason to breed a dog.

Just enjoy your dogs. If people ask you about breeding them, just answer "Thank you, but these dogs are not for breeding". If people like your dogs and want one like them, direct them to the breeder you got them from.

Good breeders didn't become good breeders because one day, they started thinking about breeding the dog they own. They were first and foremost dog people that were neck deep into everything about their breed - they had trained and titled numerous dogs, participated in a bazillion different dog activities and sports, had hands-on training of working dogs, read everything about their breed, studied pedigrees and lines, sought out and hung out with knowledgeable dog people and breeders to learn all they could, THEN after making dogs their life and obsession, went into breeding because of the knowledge they have accumulated over the years.

That would be one reason to breed. Your dogs may be super nice (as is mine!), but that does not mean they should be bred. If your gut is telling you "Well . . . I'm not sure about this", follow your gut feeling.

Castlemaid 01-09-2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhczth (Post 4805290)
These photos are not really suitable for this forum. If you want conformation critiques please read the two stickies at the top of the forum. They will give you a better idea about what is required.

Thank you ADMIN

I moved the thread out of Critique to Breeding. OP, if you can get stacked pictures of your dog you can post them in Critique.

mcdanfam 01-09-2014 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhczth (Post 4805290)

Thank you ADMIN

So very sorry....new to site....did not know each thing had different rules....I will be more careful!