Opinions...people asking us to breed our dogs? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nice looking red sable. The AKC-showline lady has her opinions, and she should wait until someone asks for it. But whatever.

Lots of people don't have a clue about the variety in the breed. Just enjoy your dogs. Learn all you can about them. If down the line you think one of them ought to be bred, you can address that then. Don't be pushed by outsiders in either direction. Just continue to learn. Let your dog teach you. Become an awesome trainer and enjoy your pups.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
What a handsome pair!!! Not that many people are familiar with working line sables - I know the first time I saw a sable, I did not recognize it as a German Shepherd, so used was I to only seeing black and tans.

It seems that most of us, at one time or another, get asked if we would breed our dogs. But you are thinking along the right lines - doing it right is a huge responsibility. People asking you to breed may just be looking for a puppy on the cheap, and that is a pretty poor reason to breed a dog.

Just enjoy your dogs. If people ask you about breeding them, just answer "Thank you, but these dogs are not for breeding". If people like your dogs and want one like them, direct them to the breeder you got them from.

Good breeders didn't become good breeders because one day, they started thinking about breeding the dog they own. They were first and foremost dog people that were neck deep into everything about their breed - they had trained and titled numerous dogs, participated in a bazillion different dog activities and sports, had hands-on training of working dogs, read everything about their breed, studied pedigrees and lines, sought out and hung out with knowledgeable dog people and breeders to learn all they could, THEN after making dogs their life and obsession, went into breeding because of the knowledge they have accumulated over the years.

That would be one reason to breed. Your dogs may be super nice (as is mine!), but that does not mean they should be bred. If your gut is telling you "Well . . . I'm not sure about this", follow your gut feeling.
Thank you so much....the thought of bloodlines, titles, competitions, making sure my dog was safe and along with dealing with everything else that goes into have a dog in breeding....just seems like it would take a couple of decades to learn...! I guess my gut was leading me the correct direction! When I am that hesitant and conflicted it usually means walk away.
Thank you so much....very much how I was leaning....just enjoying them like we have been....:-)

Thank you to all who offered, and again so very sorry for posting wrong! I am usually a rule follower, computers are not my friend. My girls taught me how to work this app...:-) I just don't make time to play with electronics....the dogs prefer outside.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mcdanfam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Nice looking red sable. The AKC-showline lady has her opinions, and she should wait until someone asks for it. But whatever.

Lots of people don't have a clue about the variety in the breed. Just enjoy your dogs. Learn all you can about them. If down the line you think one of them ought to be bred, you can address that then. Don't be pushed by outsiders in either direction. Just continue to learn. Let your dog teach you. Become an awesome trainer and enjoy your pups.
Thank you.....it does seem people offer opinions without being asked...

Old 01-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I don't know if you saw this decision making flow chart.

It's actually a sticky in this forum:
"Should I breed my dog?" Flowchart

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 11:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
I don't know if you saw this decision making flow chart.

It's actually a sticky in this forum:
"Should I breed my dog?" Flowchart
Wow....thank you! I have not checked out the sticky on this site....I went back to the other place to read those so I don't make the same mistake again.
Will check definitely start checking sticky notes.

I seriously did not think I had the mental energy... With two teens, advanced classes, homework, training pups....just did not think I had the amount of time needed to do right by the breed!

I will say....we will never own another breed! They are so amazing everyday...the brains, thinking process, problem solving, energy, love, dedication.....and goofy playfulness...nothing better! We as a family give thanks everyday we got the dogs we did....and we will continue to read about their family lines, learn everything we can about them and just enjoy them without the stress of breeding...my guts likes relaxed time, reading for enjoyment and not I have to learn everything right away...or at least attempt to....thank you for your help...and info! It's like felt my hesitation.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:07 AM   #16 (permalink)

Not an expert on when to breed or not, but I got asked all the time what our Thor (a red sable) was mixed with, and even had people argue with me that he was not 100% GSD.

Opinions...people asking us to breed our dogs?-imageuploadedbypg-free1389334059.851474.jpg

Old 01-10-2014, 07:54 AM   #17 (permalink)

I just say SURE my stud fee is 2000$

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2014, 09:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I love the flow chart, its great! I wish more breeders would follow it.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wow, he is GORGEOUS.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Your dogs are beautiful! But so are many of our dogs... and I'm like you the idea of what is involved with breeding is just too much for me. The learning, background and experience involved with all the genetics, temperament, bloodlines and genetics is just crazy. The fact that 2 great dogs individually, when bred, can have a nighmare litter of puppies just cause of the genetic blend is scary to me ACK!

That said we do have some great breeders on this site. So to think about that as a far in the future goal isn't bad. Have you seen this --> Things to look for in a 'Responsible' Breeder it's another sticky that's useful to learn when looking for a responsible breeder. So it has all what is involved with being one.

I know it's not for me!

Though training and trialing and doing fun dog sport things is a blast and helps get YOUR breeders name out. So you are supporting someone who you love, love their dogs, can go to in the future for a puppy, but leaving most of the hard job to them.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.