German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Thinking About Becoming A Breeder? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/thinking-about-becoming-breeder/)
-   -   New here, advice welcome. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/thinking-about-becoming-breeder/392450-new-here-advice-welcome.html)

StormCrow76 01-07-2014 03:12 AM

New here, advice welcome.

Hi all. I want to become a great GSD breeder. I, of course, need your help. Pros and cons, I'm open and willing to listen. First, a little background on my situation.

I bought my female GSD from a reputable breeder. She had talked in the past about showing me the 'ropes'. I'm going to learn as much from her as I can. I'm also going to try getting my girl a title, or at least trying, because she's very smart and quick learner. Great temperament. She'll be 2 in February, and we'll be getting hips certified, blood tests, etc. I will also be offering lifetime return for my pups to new owners.

So, I have a couple questions, please.

1. What goes into getting my un-spayed GSD in an event, etc? Do I have to cancel taking her if she goes into estrus? (I only ask that because she went into estrus late this cycle, by 2 months).

2. Please list good links or references for all things breeding/competing/training my GSD. (She has basic obedience down.) Books are great too, if you know of any.

3. Where can I find a good contract and questionnaire/interview for the new owners.

4. I've been looking at information at dogbreedinfo.com, is that a good and reliable place?

I know from reading other posts some of you are a little more 'in your face' with wake up calls and others are more relaxed, but I honestly (and kindly) ask for it all.

I am still not 100 percent sure I will need her, and if course it depends on what the tests say, but if all that's good, I would like to try my hand at bettering the breed. I know it's lots of work, and when I am interested in something, I study and research lots.

Thank you for your time.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

The Packman 01-07-2014 03:19 AM

Your in for it Storm !

StormCrow76 01-07-2014 03:34 AM

I'm completely open to all sides. Thanks for the warning, though. The reminder might keep my head from exploding! ;)

StormCrow76 01-07-2014 03:35 AM

In the last sentence of my original post, it should be breed, not need. Please bear with my phone and it's auto-correct inaccuracy.

ksotto333 01-07-2014 07:30 AM

If no one new studies, trains, shows,and tests their dog,and then decides to breed,at some point there won't be any reputable breeders. In my opinion if someone does something well,and correct more power to them.

carmspack 01-07-2014 08:33 AM

what do you know to this point?

your opening question revolves around the mechanics, optics and sales points of breeding.

what do you know about the breed, the history, the pillar dogs, the splits and whys and where fors -- genetics --

what are your goals , what is your target and how do you plan to test your proximity to that goal

are you willing to have a critical eye , dead-end a line , keep a line or branch going to keep fine tuning it

are you willing and able to care for what you have produced
willing to accept animals that are returned , able to keep animals until the perfect place comes along

working dogs -- you need to get out there and work dogs , not just one , not just one discipline

you need to go out and watch and learn

carmspack 01-07-2014 08:48 AM

forgot to say , hi and welcome .

so again to your question . look to this forum not only for direct response to you but to the hundreds of people that come on with behavioural problems , health problems , training , feeding , and GSD in general .

invaluable opportunity to be involved at a distance

books -- The German Shepherd Dog -- B Wootton
Malcolm Willis http://www.ebay.com/itm/Practical-Genetics-for-Dog-Breeders-by-Malcolm-B-Willis-/370973082279?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item565fb802a7
Sue Barwig - encyclopedic --- very good because she covers all types all countries

carmspack 01-07-2014 09:23 AM

understand the extreme importance of good nerves and temperament , stable dog ---
just read forum entries -- some are heartbreaking

holland 01-07-2014 10:11 AM

Use the library to get those books...seriously what can anyone write that is worth $294

carmspack 01-07-2014 10:27 AM

no public library has them to lend out -- the "pet" section tends to be abysmally poor -- pop
if you want to be serious about breeding you have to make an investment of your time, financial resources, interest and involvement .
there is no other way.