Big Question- How Do You Become A Breeder? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Big Question- How Do You Become A Breeder?

I want to do a lot!! I have so many interests... it actually bugs me because I can't grow up and be them all. I love acting, home design, gardening, animals, writing, art, and a few more I can't remember. I keep thinking over and over again at night what I want to be when I grow up, and I think I have finally narrowed it down. I would not be in it for the money, or the business, I would be in it for my deep love for animals. I want to become a veterinarian! I have always been hesitant about it because I don't think I could handle putting an animal down, I would probably have a mental break down after doing it for the 2nd or 3rd time. Maybe even the first! But I think it would just be so fulfilling. Well, the true point of this is on the side I would want to be a dog breeder. Not some backyard breeder who sells the pups high priced, and breeds females 3 times a year, but a legit one. I would LOVE to purchase a 10 acre lot somewhere in Washington state or central/southern california, and build from the ground up a breeding "business". Now this will NEVER happen until I am much much much older, but I would like to get an idea of what it takes to become a breeder. I know you should know a lot about the genetics and health of the certain breed, I read somewhere you should be familiar with veterinary practice to some degree, and of course, love animals!! Other than that I don't really know how I would go about starting one. I would love to know step by step detail. Where do the dogs come from? How do you accumulate more to breed. Expenses. Rights. Permission. AKC registration, ETC. Thanks!!

Noah
GSDLover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Breeding shouldn't be considered a business...it is more of an art that takes years of knowledge to do it properly.

Anyone can purchase kennels, dogs and set up shop. Doesn't make it right though.

The love of breeding should come from the love of doing right by the breed and producing excellent representations of the breed.
Showing, working, titling your own dogs is a time consuming passion. Time consuming and I doubt those that do it right are living off the profits of their puppies.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I tell you with all the GSD's in kill shelters in CA there are already TONS of people breeding out there.

Your 'job' should be to locate a 'responsible' breeder and start to apprentice with them. Learning all the dogs and lineage and genetics and diseases and and and .... it a huge 'job' in itself, so having a person you admire and is doing it right mentoring you is the way to go.

Remember to refer to ---> How to find a puppy! when looking for the best to learn from.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

I agree with Maggie as that is what I am doing. I am also very interested in breeding and I have sought out a breeder where we will be moving to next May and she has become my mentor. We have spoken at lengths and constantly about man aspects and once we move up there I will actually be helping her and learning hands on. I highly suggest you do that as well because you will also get a chance to see breeding first hand and decide if it actually is still an interest.
MrsFergione is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think the trick is to first get a dog that you don't ever plan on breeding. Join your local GSDCA chapter, and start training/showing in the venue that interests you or best compliments/fits your dog. Going to trials, all breed shows, and more importantly specialty shows will open your eyes to the whole world of dogs and what your chosen breed has to offer. I'll assume that you're talking about breeding GSDs, and so I would really push you towards seeing everything this breed has to offer. Don't sit online and get pushed around by already biased people that have developed their opinions.

Learn about Schutzhund, AKC Obedience, AKC conformation shows, SV style conformation shows, UKC conformation shows, and all the other venues that are available. Start to understand why each "line" looks the way it does, and what each venue looks for in order to succeed. Understand why people breed the way they do and what their goals are. After that, you'll be able to make the decision on what you want to breed for, what venue interests you, and what in your opinion is the correct GSD.

When you get into it, start training, learning, making those connections within the breed, you'll find a good mentor, someone to provide you with a breeding bitch. After you "prove" your love for the breed to someone, and the fact that you are interested in showing/trialing and are committed to it, someone will offer you co-ownership, or the rights to their "pick" pup. You'll get that one, then breed, keep pups back that you think you'll use again, and so a kennel begins.

Try not to form strong opinions before you get true, real life experience with the dogs. Don't go out and about screaming about how this line is sub-par and that line is the greatest. You'll end up putting your foot in your mouth to the wrong people. And as someone that breeds, you really shouldn't have to put down what other people are doing. Just worry about what you're doing and know its better than what's out there.

Last edited by martemchik; 12-28-2013 at 11:44 AM.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Stay in school, don't do drugs, be respectful.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This is an excellent observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
Try not to form strong opinions before you get true, real life experience with the dogs. Don't go out and about screaming about how this line is sub-par and that line is the greatest. You'll end up putting your foot in your mouth to the wrong people. And as someone that breeds, you really shouldn't have to put down what other people are doing. Just worry about what you're doing and know its better than what's out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Breeding shouldn't be considered a business...it is more of an art that takes years of knowledge to do it properly.

Anyone can purchase kennels, dogs and set up shop. Doesn't make it right though.

The love of breeding should come from the love of doing right by the breed and producing excellent representations of the breed.
Showing, working, titling your own dogs is a time consuming passion. Time consuming and I doubt those that do it right are living off the profits of their puppies.
Very true. Verify claims of expertise in breeding, training and handling....
KK1 Griff v Tajgetosz SCH3,IPO3(BHOT) FCI and WUSV World Teams '13
Smithie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Decide what style of GSD you want. Buy a male to train and trial or show. Prove to the group you want to be part of that you belong there. then buy the best bitch you can.

And remember that dogs are expensive.
Home of Ch Natty; Ch Doll; U-CD Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP (ch ptd); Sara RN (ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post

Yes. That is why I put air quotes around the word... I didn't know how else to say it. I also said I want to do it right, not like a puppy mill, and, well I said it about being a vet, but I would do it for my love of animals not for any amount of money.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Stay in school, don't do drugs, be respectful.
Words to live by...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.