Not exactly a Back Yard Breeder, but could use some help: - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Not exactly a Back Yard Breeder, but could use some help:

First of all, fair critique please. My back yard is 30 acres, and here in Australia the type I want to breed is well in demand.. I used to Sponsor Riding for the Disabled for 6 years, and have 18 stables and paddocks.. And now the kids have moved on, only 4 horses.. The stable block shown below is just the main block by my house.. Unnecessary for my own horses at least for one stable for mom and a litter..

I am thinking of getting female from a desirable Working Dog line, from German Shutzhund certified stock that I know and like a dog from the previous litter, and thinking about breeding with my pup, same. Not for money, just to surround myself with puppies. I will have two other Breeders check the Bloodlines for compatibility this weekend. My kids are gone, my horses and dogs are my family now... Out on the last Frontier in Australia, living "Dances with Wolves" close as I can... I have a couple of questions please:

1) No, not for money, for love. I am already well off (not bragging, a Blessing from the Lord and I try and do good with it and have 50 Employees and not retiring at 61 for the good I can do) Not for money, for love of the Breed and love of puppies, so throw out that critique please..

2) Second Heat OK? At say 18 months?

3) Thinking about converting my main Stable Block, Old West Style lined in hardwood planks, stalls about 14' X 20' wood shavings on rolled asphalt now. Thinking of hog wire nailed to post and rails, each stable already has a run on grass.. I can close it in with portable stock yards with heavy 4" mesh welded on...

I can pick and choose the homes my black or black and tan marked shepherds would go to, am I on the right track for a puppy lair? Stables have runs on grass to each out the back, a kitchen, running water, and night security lights, and each stable has a light. Is this a good idea for pups? Hilton sort of kennel with mom for a couple of months, and a run on grass..?

In the Black Working Dog sort of flat backed bigger boned pups, socialized hand raised pups, are much in demand here. Like a waiting list of 40 at one Breeder and from the other side a reported 18 month wait. I can pick and choose the homes... And maybe keep a pup for myself, my wolf pack...

*** Image removed by ADMIN, max pic size allowed 800 X 600 ***
Now, am I wrong thinking some how? Your critique is welcome... Talk me out of it..

Out on the "Last Frontier" in Australia...

Last edited by Castlemaid; 02-22-2013 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Oversized picture
lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Your post was kind of rambling and hard to follow. However, I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to become a breeder. Just learn as much as possible before you begin.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Love teh stable - and that flashy overo!

I think as a physical plant, the stabling can easily be converted to super nice spacious kennels....

BUT - GSDs are dogs who prefer to be with people!!!

If you are going to breed - you need to understand the varieties of type...just as in horses, you have halter and performance...they are not ideally mixed together...in European lines, which I know are utilized in Australia, the two types are also very distinct and separate in appearance and character.....

If you have the resources to import from Germany, that would be the best way to start....is there still a 6 month quarantine?

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Alright Rob, I was giving a background overview for the attitude and logistics.

Wolfstraum,
Thank you, but the two bloodlines I am interested in are here already. Going to see a female week old pup on Sunday.. Another Breeder I know through the National Reining Horse Assn is coming from a few hours away to visit for the weekend to take me there.

If anyone has an angle I have not thought of, I thought I would fish for some downside before I went to see the pup. It is a recommendation that gets me the opportunity, if I hesitate there would be no going back, and it will be her last litter. I have a couple of days to consider it all..

Love the name, is it Wolf Storm? I used to speak German when I lived there for three years, but Spanish replaced the German..
Old 02-22-2013, 01:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

18 months is too young to breed your female IMO. 2 year minimum, with titles, hip and elbow certification and other health clearances.

Start learning pedigrees! It's time consuming and a very, very long (never ending) process.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Go for it...you have resources and ability to access the additional knowledge you need, just realize it is a lifelong learning process, but I didn't know 38years ago when I did my first breeding what I know now.....so if you are committed then go for it.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

The second heat is fine as long as you have all health checks. Most breed clubs have an 18 month minimum age for breeding. A lot of dogs come into their second heat just before they are 2 years old.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I can pick and choose the homes my black or black and tan marked shepherds would go to, am I on the right track for a puppy lair? Stables have runs on grass to each out the back, a kitchen, running water, and night security lights, and each stable has a light. Is this a good idea for pups? Hilton sort of kennel with mom for a couple of months, and a run on grass..?
Nice set up. For the puppy run you might want to consider pavers or cement, anything that can be hosed off easily. 10 puppies running, playing and relieving themselves on grass, especially if it's wet, can turn into 10 muddy messy puppies real quick.
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If the runs are big enough, a combo of pavers/cement and a big exercise area of grass....don't know your weather, but my impression is you don't get a big mud season???? Either way, grass for a communal play area and cement for smaller area ....

Thanks Lone Ranger - the name translates as Wolf's Dream.....my horses were Sheer Fantasy and her daughter was Heir of Dreams....so with the dogs, I wanted that theme to carry through....I was friends with a young veterinarian from Germany, and we played around with names until we came up with this...

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
If the runs are big enough, a combo of pavers/cement and a big exercise area of grass....don't know your weather, but my impression is you don't get a big mud season???? Either way, grass for a communal play area and cement for smaller area ....
Lee
Thank you, my Breeder came down for the weekend, and we came to much of the same conclusions as yes we do have a muddy wet season.. It has pretty much rained off and on for the past two weeks and is continuing..

I may do it in a two staged area, concrete with a hose nearby, and then grassy area with the opening of a gate.

Saw my new female pup, the mother is a strong Sable Police Trainers dog, and She is 48 kg and superfit at 8 y.o.. Father is the same, Defensive Attack Dog sort of 52 kg about 130 lbs, that is greatly respected in those circles. I put a deposit on what we call a bi-colour, Working Dog with Shutzhund background anscestors black with some gold highlights on legs and bum as there were no all black in the litter. I took the dog composition over the colour desires, as I was only lucky to get one of this bloodline. They are so strong, they are highly sought after..

Great name there Wolfstraum. I am going to work Wolfmother into her name somehow. BTW lover of Horses: The Overo Paint you noticed and mentioned is gone, great reining horse of a great American Line, "Gunners Davinci Code" a Stallion out of your famous "Gunner". I had to sell him, as his skin was pink under the white and eyes blue, and he suffered in the sun. He needed to be rugged all the time, with eye protection, and suffered in the summer. Really with a white face he should only be let out of the stables at night to graze and since I am not there all the time entirely too much maintenance for me.

Kind regards, and thank all of You for your answers my Friends. Two Breeders have looked over the Bloodlines and find them complementary and strong. In fact the Breeder of my Male "Wolf Caesar" took one of the bi-colour females too. We pick them up in a couple of months..

Comparing your recommendations, I will wait until the third heat at over 2 years old. Your suggestions do not fall on deaf ears...

Last edited by lone Ranger; 02-24-2013 at 06:53 PM. Reason: oversight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.