How much should I charge for puppies? - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #81 (permalink)
Crowned Member

do you want to post your females pedigree as a starting point in learning about the different lines, key significant sires or dams?

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #82 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Wolf View Post
Sorry.. I am just not familiar with PennHIP whatsoever. No clue what it is. Hip evaluations?
a 3 position xray analyzed by computer that gives you a number and relates it to all tested dogs of your breed, one for each hip side. one of the xrays is actually the OFA image. They also use a device to pull the hip away from the joint to see how much play is there under load. OFA is subjective, and you only get a few ratings... what if I've got just barely good compared to "the best fair hips ever". Would I not breed the latter b/c it was fair vice good when in reality the two hips were similar enough that it wasn't a major difference? its clearer if I said the first dog is .38, and the second dog is .39.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #83 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

If I were looking for a dog, I would prefer to see Penn Hip and if I were getting x-rays for more than just diagnostics (which is what I do because my dogs are not procreating) I would definitely do Penn Hip. I think there is also less play with positioning - like, if I pull this leg a little bit up and to the left, even though that's not the way the hip really is, it becomes a good or fair...I think that's harder to do, from what I understand (and I could be wrong) for the Penn Hip.

PennHIP Home
JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #84 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
If I were looking for a dog, I would prefer to see Penn Hip and if I were getting x-rays for more than just diagnostics (which is what I do because my dogs are not procreating) I would definitely do Penn Hip. I think there is also less play with positioning - like, if I pull this leg a little bit up and to the left, even though that's not the way the hip really is, it becomes a good or fair...I think that's harder to do, from what I understand (and I could be wrong) for the Penn Hip.

PennHIP Home
Yeah they use this device that you can actually see a hint of on the xray although I've never seen it personally. It takes the subjectivity out, and the three views show the hip at rest and under load. Further, they claim they can be done at 16 weeks of age.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #85 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LARHAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMulder View Post
Every breeder that I've found within 150 miles of Los Angeles charges at least $3000, up to $4500. I suppose the prices here are inflated.

West Coast German Shepherds
Lundborg Land German Shepherd
Thinschmidt German Shepherds

All are in Riverside County and none of them charge that much.

To err is human, to forgive, is canine.
LARHAGE is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #86 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by german_shepherdlover View Post
I am replying due to my recent post so nobody else gets confussed. Both dogs are in good health. They are both up to date on all of their vaccinations, tests, and exams. Also they have both had xrays and exams peformed on their hips, elbows ect. We have the xrays and all the shot vaccinations. If you must know both of them are microchiped as well. They also have had dental check ups, heart worm check ups. Everything you can imagine. As I said before my fiance and his father both work at a vet so my female gets all the exams and check ups for free. I am taking pre vet courses to get into vet school so I know all about proper treatment, vacinations and so on. I also have lived on a farm my entire life I can assure you they are both in tippy top health and have xrays and records to prove it all. Now that I have cleared that, I am just wondering how much to price the puppies for when my female is ready to breed??? Considering they are both reigestered and have had all their vaccinations, xrays, health check ups ect...Can someone please answer my question I first had since you know all the facts now?? We are just wondering how much to charge for them since we see a various price ranges all the time

1. Why do you want to breed? Don't you figure there are enough GSD's sitting in shelters?
2. What are you contributing to the breed? What will these puppies be? Pets? Working dogs?

As far as I know, police dogs have schutzhund training. And in schH, you DO NOT breed an untitled dog, or to an untitled dog or you get kicked out.

Why do you want to breed when you don't understand the pedigree or balances of each dog? You can put together two great dogs and end up with crapshoot puppies.

Vida (3years) & Hype, 7 weeks
Kaity is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #87 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Kaity - you should probably read the whole thread before posting. And K9's do not have Schutzhund training and titles. The training they have, while similar in ways, is police training.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #88 (permalink)
Elite Member

To my understanding it's different up here. As a general rule I wouldn't breed an untitled dog, or to an untitled dog. My pups dam isn't titled, she created great pups with few key problems. And these are the problems that matter and should have been taken into consideration before pairing her to the sire that they did. Some of these pups are nervous wrecks, partially because of genetics partially because the owners allow it and encourage or baby it.

Vida (3years) & Hype, 7 weeks
Kaity is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #89 (permalink)
Crowned Member

you really, really need to read the whole thread. The dog has not been bred.

And the OP is in Iowa in the United States.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMulder View Post
Every breeder that I've found within 150 miles of Los Angeles charges at least $3000, up to $4500. I suppose the prices here are inflated.
German Shepherd Dog Breeder German Shepherd Puppy for Sale

I almost purchased a puppy from them a month ago, but decided to go with a breeder a little closer to home and we were looking for a male and they only had females at the time. The litter that I was looking at were about 1,250 and then 350-400 for shipping. Keep looking you'll find your perfect pup! I highly recommend checking out the AKC website for finding great breeders.
Colleen is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.