How much should I charge for puppies? - Page 10 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #91 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaity View Post
To my understanding it's different up here. As a general rule I wouldn't breed an untitled dog, or to an untitled dog. My pups dam isn't titled, she created great pups with few key problems. And these are the problems that matter and should have been taken into consideration before pairing her to the sire that they did. Some of these pups are nervous wrecks, partially because of genetics partially because the owners allow it and encourage or baby it.
Typically some dogs that SHOULD be bred do not have sport titles such as schutzhund, because they are certified WORKING dogs such as police and SAR.

The titles are also one part of the picture as you can have a titled dog NOT worth breeding. It is obviously a good goal but not the whole picture.

I think the most important thing is the person doing the actual breeding has the background, dog experience, and knowledge of genetics to know what they are doing, with or without titles. But that PERSON should have enough experience in work or sport venues to know what they are looking at when they select a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):
, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #92 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
you really, really need to read the whole thread. The dog has not been bred.

And the OP is in Iowa in the United States.
I have read the entire thread. And I'm in Canada - not the states which is what I meant, it may be different up here.

My post was still replying to the first couple posts from OP.

Vida (3years) & Hype, 7 weeks
Kaity is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #93 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaity View Post
I have read the entire thread. And I'm in Canada - not the states which is what I meant, it may be different up here.

My post was still replying to the first couple posts from OP.
Well, considering the OP has already chosen not to breed her dog, at least not any time soon, continuing to pound on her doesn't really do much good. I think that letting people know the various reasons for not breeding is beneficial, but when it goes on and on, even after the person has come back and thanked us for the info and said she has re-thought it, instead of just getting mad and stamping off, well there comes a time when it becomes counter-productive. They will tend to look at us as over-zealous fanatics and then do what they initially intended.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 12:29 AM   #94 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
OMG WHAT ARE YOU DRIVING?? A box truck? It doesn't cost me $300 in fuel to take my diesel boat 70 miles off shore and back lol
I will drive 7hrs tomorrow for training - 3.5 there and back. I will drive 3hrs Fri & Sat. I will drive 6 hrs - 3 there and 3 back on Sun. It is not WHAT I drive - it's how FAR I drive. This is not factoring in normal driving to the grocery, work, hiking, parks, tracking, etc...

Are you taking your diesel boat 200miles off shore and back multiple times a week?

Oh and lets take a look at driving times for the upcoming shows:
OG Carolina - 8.5hrs each way
OG Landheim - 4.5hrs each way
Sieger Show in WI - 6.5hrs each way

So that's how I hemorrhage money on gas

Last edited by qbchottu; 02-21-2013 at 12:34 AM.
qbchottu is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 02:17 AM   #95 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Kaity , as a fellow Canadian , there is no difference "up here" .

In the meantime Bethany start asking lots of questions about different lines. Look to the best of all lines . Go window shopping but leave your credit card at home if you know what I mean.
Go through the pedigree data base classifieds and start picking out what you like - price no problem since you are not buying, yet , see if there is a pattern . Then we can discuss and you'll learn lots.

carmspack is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 04:08 AM   #96 (permalink)

Why does the story keep changing??? Police K-9, then Police K-9 still in-service but owned by the Officer, then retired Police K-9 but "volunteers"????

I work for a large department and there is noooooo way that one of our dogs would or could be owned by anyone besides the city. When that dog is retired the handler is given the option of keeping the retired dog as a pet (for free).

As far as the department using the dog part-time...or whatever....that would not fly either. The only possible way I could see that happening would be for simple tracking of non-violent offenders (missing persons, etc..), or artical searches. Even then would still be hard to believe. If true, must be a small, no-bite department, because our dogs do a lot of biting and I would hate to have that liability on my shoulders.....
drumbum675 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #97 (permalink)

Default How much should I charge for puppies?

I don't even know why we are still talking about this?? Obviously she didn't know what she was talking about from the start. Why keep analyzing it?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Kaleb f is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #98 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Well, considering the OP has already chosen not to breed her dog, at least not any time soon, continuing to pound on her doesn't really do much good. I think that letting people know the various reasons for not breeding is beneficial, but when it goes on and on, even after the person has come back and thanked us for the info and said she has re-thought it, instead of just getting mad and stamping off, well there comes a time when it becomes counter-productive. They will tend to look at us as over-zealous fanatics and then do what they initially intended.
Excellent point Sue and a good reason to close down this thread.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.