I Hate To Say It, But.... - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #51 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Lee's examples aren't location specific. Pretty much anywhere in the country you could get 2 show line pups, or 3-4 working line pups, from titled and fully health certified parents, for the $5000 you quoted.

Like others have said, I would never, ever buy a puppy without seeing the pedigree first. The pedigree is the genetic blueprint of the dog and provides clues as to how the dog will turn out when mature, both physically and mentally, and if there are any warning signs of problems in either of those areas it will likely show them too. It's nice that the breeder is providing a puppy packet that will include the pedigree, but most of the information in that puppy pack, particularly the pedigree of the litter, ought to be made available to interested purchasers before they put a deposit on a pup.

For someone interested in breeding, this is especially important. If you have hopes of this pup being a breeding dog, make sure everything is stacked in favor of that before buying a pup. Even if you consider this pup to be a learning dog and don't plan to breed it in the future, it will still be with you for the next 12-14 years. A well bred dog is more likely to be a sound, healthy companion for that timeframe and also better able to provide you with a better learning experience. If you can't afford a well bred pup from a good breeder, or haven't yet been able to find one that fits your distance constraints, than wait.

It never pays to be in a hurry, cut corners and do things on impulse. Not when buying a dog, not when raising and training it, and certainly not when breeding. An important lesson to learn, and again especially important given your goals of becoming a breeder.
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #52 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think if you're looking for a pet...that you'll show and trial...the pedigree matters less. But since you're thinking about breeding in the future, it pays to do the due diligence and research before you get the pup. Remember, you'll have this dog for 12 years and although you'll probably be able to get another one when you know more, you might be limited as to how many you get after that.

Then you have to wait for the dog to pass before you get the dog you truly want with the genetics to breed. You're getting one person's opinion on the pedigree. A person that is trying to SELL you the dog. Yes, the trainer is there as well, but the trainer is probably a very good friend of the breeder and really isn't going to talk about the deficiencies in the pedigree or the dog.

I'm getting a puppy in 8 weeks...I trust the breeder with their pedigree and mating decision but I've also asked people on this board for their input (although some haven't answered) and I've done my own looking around. If I don't get a female out of this litter, I'll start searching again and when I find that right dog I'll get it.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #53 (permalink)

So after doing much much thinking and as cute as he may be, everyone is right. I would be doing my personal goals no favors by getting him. I've decided that I will let the breeder know this and will get my deposit back. I've also contacted Nick and will be saving up to get a puppy from him in the coming fall when he is expecting a new litter.
bethany.cole2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #54 (permalink)
Master Member

about shipping: my last 3 dogs were shipped to me as babies, from California to NJ. Didn't bother them in the least!
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
DunRingill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunRingill View Post
about shipping: my last 3 dogs were shipped to me as babies, from California to NJ. Didn't bother them in the least!
That's just my preference, because they're put under stress and are stressed enough switching to different homes and I just choose to minimize the amount of stress my dogs are put under if I can.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #56 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I've shipped many pups, and received shipped pups too, and never had a problem. They pop out at the airport spunky and ready to go. At least pups with good nerves do. Even the ones with ok but less than bombproof nerves are fine.

How a dog deals with stress, pups included, shows it's nerves. If they are solid, shipping is no worry. If they are not, and the pup freaks out then... well you know right away from day 1 that it isn't a breeding candidate. Just sayin'.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #57 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wild View Post
I've shipped many pups, and received shipped pups too, and never had a problem. They pop out at the airport spunky and ready to go. At least pups with good nerves do. Even the ones with ok but less than bombproof nerves are fine.

How a dog deals with stress, pups included, shows it's nerves. If they are solid, shipping is no worry. If they are not, and the pup freaks out then... well you know right away from day 1 that it isn't a breeding candidate. Just sayin'.
Well said.
KK1 Griff v Tajgetosz SCH3,IPO3(BHOT) FCI & WUSV 2013
Smithie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 10:41 PM   #58 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree Chris and Sue, if I thought a puppy that came from Europe or the Americas would be negatively affected by shipping stress, that would not be a puppy I would consider to own.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 02:02 AM   #59 (permalink)
Crowned Member

"I think if you're looking for a pet...that you'll show and trial...the pedigree matters less."

I would say the pedigree always matters -- you may not understand it or appreciate it as a pet buyer , but it always matters .

don't worry about shipping -- there is no stress that a good dog can't handle. Just last month sent a 12 week old to Orlando , no problems.
Ship and receive all the time .

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #60 (permalink)

Everyone has offered good points about the shipping and nerves correlation. I am wondering, though, how will you know if the puppy can handle the stresses of shipping? Will the breeder be able to tell you or how would you go about knowing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.