I Hate To Say It, But.... - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
As people have said several times, *all* puppies are cute. They really are. People should always look to a breeder's adults & especially the adult offspring if possible when seeking a pup.

Bethany, I understand that you're feeling a bit pushed, nagged & criticized but I don't think that's the intent of any of the comments made. People are simply concerned that your enthusiasm & heart are getting ahead of making well reasoned, sensible decisions.

I realize that this little puppy can still develop nerve problems, but if he does I'm willing to work with him and see if they can be trained out. If not, he will be neutered and he will stay with me for the rest of his life as a personal pet and not a competition dog. Your heart is in the right place but a dog (or bitch) with nerve problems should not be bred even if the weak nerves are successfully 'trained out'. Faulty genetics are present regardless of training which can only mask or manage nerve problems, not eliminate them.

IF, on careful consideration this breeder & pup are right for you, go for it. I don't think anyone feels differently, they're simply worried that you're making an impetuous decision that might again put you in a bad situation. Anyone who's posted or read here any length of time has repeatedly seen people make the same mistake(s) over & Over & OVER again. Urging caution isn't snarky. Ultimately, it can benefit both people & dogs.

I realize that a dog with nerve problems shouldn't be bred. That's why I also said that if he happens to have nerve problems he will be neutered and spend his life as a personal companion only and not a breeding or competition dog. I know that's now how it came out typed and forgive me for the misunderstanding. I went and spent another couple of hours with the breeder and dogs today and they were all the same as the initial visit. Of course I loved all of the litter, but the little guy I placed a deposit on was absolutely glued to my hip and we spent some time playing with them and him chasing around the chickens lol. I guess its a good thing that I don't have chickens
bethany.cole2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #42 (permalink)

I honestly hope he works out for you, I saw the ped posted for critique, and I'm sorry but I agree with the other posters, I just don't see anything that makes any sense, rather a mish mash of this and that

Not saying it's a 'bad' thing, I personally, just wouldn't for myself, be anyway interested in a puppy from that litter if I wanted to do any type of competition stuff. Again, not to say they aren't capable, If I have something specific in mind for a future puppy, I am going to go to a breeder who's producing that and has the pedigree behind it.

You shouldn't even be "thinking" if he turns out with problems, (behaviorial) , you should be thinking "this is going to be a sound stable dog because I know what's behind it"..You can't train out "genetics", you can manage them, but they'll never be trained out..

I guess, and it's none of my business or anyone elses, and you don't have to answer, is price a factor? Are you making this choice with your heart and not your head?? Because there are sooo many really good breeders on this board that you could get the puppy of your dreams from.

I do wish you luck, I also think people are just concerned that your saying you want one thing, but go with something that's seemingly not a good fit for what you want.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I honestly hope he works out for you, I saw the ped posted for critique, and I'm sorry but I agree with the other posters, I just don't see anything that makes any sense, rather a mish mash of this and that

Not saying it's a 'bad' thing, I personally, just wouldn't for myself, be anyway interested in a puppy from that litter if I wanted to do any type of competition stuff. Again, not to say they aren't capable, If I have something specific in mind for a future puppy, I am going to go to a breeder who's producing that and has the pedigree behind it.

You shouldn't even be "thinking" if he turns out with problems, (behaviorial) , you should be thinking "this is going to be a sound stable dog because I know what's behind it"..You can't train out "genetics", you can manage them, but they'll never be trained out..

I guess, and it's none of my business or anyone elses, and you don't have to answer, is price a factor? Are you making this choice with your heart and not your head?? Because there are sooo many really good breeders on this board that you could get the puppy of your dreams from.

I do wish you luck, I also think people are just concerned that your saying you want one thing, but go with something that's seemingly not a good fit for what you want.

I posted on the other thread that this wasn't the pedigree of the puppy that this thread is pertaining to. It was from a different litter that I walked away from for various reasons. I'm going to be brutally honest with you; of course price is a factor, but a very small factor. In my opinion, someone that tells you the price isn't a factor at all is pulling the wool over your eyes. If I could afford and justify dropping $5k on a puppy I would. But, I just can't justify spending that much on a puppy from a breeder that all you are paying for is their name that they are known for. I still have a couple of weeks to make my final decision on this puppy and if I find something better for a very reasonable price, I would consider getting my deposit back on this puppy and going with a different one.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #44 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Spending 5K on a pup is foolish. That is over double the going price for a working line(unless it has had training invested)
If I were going to invest in a pup/possibly for breeding, I would research the pedigree's/lines and find one that I'd want my foundation to be. It may take me a year or more doing that research, but in the end, at least I'd know my direction.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 02-16-2013 at 03:13 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #45 (permalink)

I agree, spending that much on a puppy is foolish, and unnecessary..

Bethany, didn't see your other post before I posted here, re: Pedigree

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

this " I still have a couple of weeks to make my final decision on this puppy and if I find something better for a very reasonable price" -- you don't "need" the pup you want the pup. A pup . WAIT until you have the funds then to find that "something better" .

When you get a pup you don't settle .

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #47 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default I Hate To Say It, But....

You can get a GREAT working line stable puppy with good genetics for $1200. No where near $5000.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #48 (permalink)

Well I got an interesting email this morning to say the least. The "breeder" that was doing the co own with Ranie with me emailed to say that she had her hips xray'd and the vet estimated that OFA would rate them as mild to severe dysplasia. And I'm really surprised that she wasn't in pain when she was with me, because those xrays were absolutely horrible! The femoral head was nowhere near being in the pocket where it should have been and her hips were positioned right and everything! Also, the femoral heads were slightly too large to have been able to fit in the pockets even if they were in the pockets. Needless to say this girl needs to be spayed and this "breeder" needs someone to tell her to stop what she's doing and get all her dogs spayed/neutered for their sake.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #49 (permalink)
Crowned Member

OK - when you buy a puppy from a breeder (and not for 5K either...only a few very big commercial kennels with major marketing efforts sell pups for big prices!) you are NOT wasting your money because they are 'well known'...they are well known because they probably produce something worth having! The reason they have a "name" is because dogs from their kennel work and title and/or produce dogs who work and title....I know someone who just bought a pup for $1200 from a World level male and a IPO3 Nationally shown female who has produced titled and LE dogs....a pup you would be very happy to have as a first dog based on teh pedigree and credentials....the breeder is NOT well known....I know of another litter coming from Drago Patriot and a titled Ufo granddaughter (in NY) and those should be very nice quality puppies...and less than $2000 probably....he is taking reservations soon...so do some research and don't start off from a negative position...get the best prospect you can find - not the cheapest or most convenient.

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
OK - when you buy a puppy from a breeder (and not for 5K either...only a few very big commercial kennels with major marketing efforts sell pups for big prices!) you are NOT wasting your money because they are 'well known'...they are well known because they probably produce something worth having! The reason they have a "name" is because dogs from their kennel work and title and/or produce dogs who work and title....I know someone who just bought a pup for $1200 from a World level male and a IPO3 Nationally shown female who has produced titled and LE dogs....a pup you would be very happy to have as a first dog based on teh pedigree and credentials....the breeder is NOT well known....I know of another litter coming from Drago Patriot and a titled Ufo granddaughter (in NY) and those should be very nice quality puppies...and less than $2000 probably....he is taking reservations soon...so do some research and don't start off from a negative position...get the best prospect you can find - not the cheapest or most convenient.

Lee

Okay and all of those places are way too far for me to drive and I refuse to put a new puppy through the added stresses of going through shipping. They already have enough stress placed on them going from mom and litter to a strange house they don't know with none of their siblings or mom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.