Having Pups Should I or Not ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Having Pups Should I or Not ?

Well Maika is nearly 11 months old now and is a fantastic friend and I love her dearly more than I ever thought I could get attached to a dog, even the wife says I am with Maika more than with her. The idea of her having pups is now getting stronger and stronger. She is an only dog and would love some company. I am 51 and take her for a 45 minute off the lead run in the mornings and the same in the evenings but she still wants to play later with me and her toys and if I don't she lays down on the carpet in front of me and moans and groans and sometimes sitting with her head on one side watching me and making sort of telling me off noises. Now I have a problem and the wife knows !!!!. If she has pups am I going to be able to let them go later on, if they are all like her I am not sure if I could, I know it sounds crazy but I cant see myself letting them go to someone I don't know. On the other hand I know she would love to have one of her own to play with and have as company. Are other people as stupid as me?. The wife thinks I have a screw loose. OK I have 5000 m2 of fenced land for any number to run around inside and taking them for walks is the same as taking one as I believe they would all stay together. Then of course there is the vets bills and food and house training although I think Maika herself would teach them to go outside with my help. I don't know what to do at the moment as these are just thoughts. I still have to study on finding a male with good temperament and is 100% GSD. Has anybody else ever been down this road? if please let me know. Thanks

Last edited by Maika; 02-07-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Maika is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would highly recommend against it.

"Should I breed my dog?" Flowchart

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
Abby142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Whether or not you start to breed should depend on the dog and not just the fencing. I know people with less space that breed great quality dogs. Tell us more about Maika... what sort of training does she have? What health certifications are you planning on doing? What stud dogs do you have in mind and can you fulfill the requirements they have in order to allow the breeding?

ETA: You could save yourself a LOT of time, money, and possible heartache by going back to Maika's breeder and getting a second dog, if you like the temperament of her lines.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I know I never will unless I could start filling the shoes and be able to really do it properly. There are too many good GSD's out there with people just breeding. If I didn't really know what I was doing with a goal in mind and ability to work towards it, I do NOT need to add any more dogs to the general overpopulation going on currently.

THis is what I know I'll never be! ---> Things to look for in a 'Responsible' Breeder and unless I was, there is no breeding in my future.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

No. Just because your dog is awesome doesn't mean she ought to be bred.
That said, you're in Spain...where did your dog come from?

As others said, go back to the breeder and get their input and if their answer is also no, then get another puppy from them.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

First of all...as a novice owner/breeder you would have no idea if an 8 week old puppy will be just like your girl at 11 months of age. They all have different temperaments, personalities, energy levels, drives, ect.

Second of all...they'd get half their genes from the sire, so the likelihood of them being exactly like your girl is very small. Since you don't work your girl, and haven't proven her to be breedworthy, you're likely to not get a very good sire to stud to, and you'll end up with a pet quality stud. Since neither you nor the owner of the stud probably know that much about genetics and pedigrees you have no idea what to expect out of a breeding.

Third of all...are you seriously considering the fact that you'd try to keep 6-10 GSD puppies? Pretty much just sounds like raising a pack of wild wolves. You think you'd be able to train that many dogs at the same time? Run that many dogs at the same time? Do anything with that many dogs?

I know you think your girl is amazing...we all think our dogs are amazing. But she's only 11 months old, she hasn't even matured yet. You have no idea what her temperament will be like in a year, or two when she's going to be fully matured. It's just not the right time to make any kinds of decisions on whether or not you should be breeding her.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maika View Post
On the other hand I know she would love to have one of her own to play with and have as company.
If you want another dog, get another dog. Maika won't get along any better or worse with a companion that's "one of her own" than one that isn't, and frankly, breeding her solely for the purpose of creating a companion for her is a really bad idea. I won't call you stupid, but I will say I think you're way off base in your thinking. She could have just a couple of puppies, or she could have 10 or more - what would you do if she had a large litter? Could you be sure that you'd be able to find good homes for all of them, and are you prepared to keep a bunch of them if you can't find homes for all of them? There is a big difference between having two dogs and having 6 or 8 dogs.

Why don't you just go back to Maika's breeder, as others have suggested?
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Having 5 Dachshunds of varying ages is a nightmare in and of itself at times, I can't imagine 5-10 GSDs all the same age!
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
ETA: You could save yourself a LOT of time, money, and possible heartache by going back to Maika's breeder and getting a second dog, if you like the temperament of her lines.
Excellent idea...Of course, I'm probably biased b/c that's exactly what I did when I got my 2nd & 3rd GSD.

Keep in mind that many people when choosing their GSD are seeking both an excellent dog & an experienced breeder who has a proven record of selecting appropriate breeding pairs which produce excellent dogs & who also provide great service & support throughout the dog's life.

Some years ago, a very good friend tried to talk me into taking one of her Boxer pups from an oops litter. IF I had wanted a Boxer I would have been talking to her dogs' breeder about a pup, NOT my friend. I liked her dogs but there wasn't another thing about the accidental breeding that remotely imporessed me. And she wanted to GIVE me a pup!

I've known several extremely conscientious but relatively inexperienced breeders. They struggle placing their very nice pups largely b/c they haven't established a name for themselves & don't yet get the word of mouth recommendations.

Breeding is never easy. Good breeding is incredibly tough in so many ways. The more I've learned about it the happier I am that I haven't been bitten by that particular bug!
RubyTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have three beautiful, purebred dogs that all had to be rescued at one point.

Not trying to say any of your pups would end up that way, just saying Please, Please don't.

Maika will be just as happy with a companion that you purchase or adopt, and no matter how hard you try there will never be another one exactly like her...or maybe you should just have her cloned? JK.
JackandMattie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.