Need to breed Service Dogs - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Let me know what the genetics are that you are committed to.

Just sent a dog to Orlando Florida yesterday chosen and bought for the purpose of Service dog.

here is a sample of temperament to look for All Things "Dog": August 2012

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

"SAR people will tell you how hard it is to find a dog with the drive for SAR, and service dog trainers and handlers will tell you how hard it is to find a dog with the temperament to be a service dog. Personally, I think you'll have a very hard time breeding for both of those."

why? we've done it with guide dogs, SAR and RCMP dogs coming from the same litter - genetics .

Carmspack
Old 01-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna

I had my trainer pick my SD for me. He looked for proper temperament and I wanted pretty & a snugly dog. Out of 8 puppies he looked at only one had the proper temperament. And if none of those did, I would have had to wait until the next litter. I got perfect temperament and pretty. Fiona does not like to snuggle. Please be aware that psychiatric dogs don't always get the same treatment as a service dog. For example, cannot fly on plane, unless PTSD dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Erich Renner with his Bodo Lierberg did exactly that . Dogs became Seeing Eye Dogs , SAR dogs , and police dogs .

Carmspack
Old 01-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You also should find someone who is experienced in training psychiatric service dogs, to help mentor you as well...

Also I am a member of a forum for service and therapy dogs and I've seen several conversations there that GSDs are not the best suited for this job, due to the reasons mentioned in this thread, and this was from trainers and handlers who are experienced with what psychiatric service dogs are required to do...
Old 01-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
"SAR people will tell you how hard it is to find a dog with the drive for SAR, and service dog trainers and handlers will tell you how hard it is to find a dog with the temperament to be a service dog. Personally, I think you'll have a very hard time breeding for both of those."

why? we've done it with guide dogs, SAR and RCMP dogs coming from the same litter - genetics .
I don't think it's impossible, but I think it would be difficult for an inexperienced breeder to reliably turn out dogs who are suitable for both purposes, even with good mentors (particularly if the mentor didn't know much about psychiatric service dogs). The temperament and drive you look for in each is very different. I know that some bloodlines can be very versatile, but from my experience with both, it seems like you're breeding for nearly opposite temperaments if your goal is to produce PSDs and SAR dogs.

Also, psychiatric service dogs and guide dogs are kind of different, and some of those differences make GSDs overall somewhat less suitable IMO. One of the big ones is the protective aspect, as the OP's own quoted description noted. Psychiatric service dogs, especially ones for people with PTSD, may have to assist in keeping others away and "guarding" their owner during anxiety attacks--but it isn't really guarding, the dog can't be aggressive or dangerous to well-meaning but ignorant bystanders during this. Because of this, I've met some people who train psychiatric service dogs won't accept breeds known for guarding, including GSDs.

The other issue is one of physical and mental activity. Guide dogs tend to get a lot of exercise throughout the day. It's not necessarily high-energy work, but it's constant. A psychiatric service dog may have a very different life, especially one for a young child or for a veteran who may be suffering from physical injury as well as mental trauma. I've seen more than one psych dog placed with an owner who is confined to a hospital for months while going through physical rehab. The dog's job is mostly to chill out with the veteran and provide emotional support. Further, people suffering from severe mental illness may be largely confined to their homes even with a service dog, due to fear, anxiety, depression, etc. The dog helps with that, but it still may take time for the owner to gain enough confidence to have an active life outside the home.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think GSDs are unable to be psychiatric service dogs and I have even met one who was very good at his job. I also know that in any given litter, you're going to have a variety of different temperaments regardless of their breeding. I just think the OP needs to be realistic about the drawbacks of this particular breed for this particular job overall.

And this isn't a knock on GSDs either. My other favorite breed, ACDs, are also largely unsuitable as psychiatric service dogs because of this as well, and for largely the same reasons (guarding instinct, significant exercise requirements). My service dog is Scooter, my ACD/BC cross, who I trained for it while I was dealing with PTSD after a violent crime was committed against me. But, he's also a very unusual dog and not at all like most ACDs and mixes I know. So I'm not even saying that it's impossible to find suitable dogs from a breed that is generally unsuitable, but since the OP has some hurdles here, I think she needs to be really realistic and careful about the potential problems with her plan.

I also don't want to discourage her from pursuing it though. We need more support and awareness of psychiatric service dogs and I'll support anyone who wants to try to help. I just think she needs to be very cautious and probably spend more time learning about breeding before she jumps in headfirst.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!

Last edited by RowdyDogs; 01-17-2013 at 12:22 PM.
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My point was that its a great goal...but I know people that work with service dog organizations that have their own breeding programs and they've told me that they do not place 100% of their dogs in working environments. These aren't GSDs but they are realistic and understand that they aren't going to get 10 dogs a litter with the temperaments they're looking for.

Even the best breeders in the world can't do this, have litter after litter of dogs that get placed into public service in some way. The military doesn't even get this kind of retention rate with their breeding program. So I just don't want the OP to be set in their way that they will not put any dogs in pet homes. I'm guessing its inevitable that some dogs will end up as pets.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 03:50 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyanna View Post
... Please be aware that psychiatric dogs don't always get the same treatment as a service dog. For example, cannot fly on plane, unless PTSD dog.

That is not correct. A Psychiatric Service Dog is allowed to fly in cabin.

Karl's Kids Program Inc Animal Services 2000
ADAP Facebook
ADAP Blog
Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
Putnam County Emergency Animal Support/Pet-Friendly Evacuation Shelters
Gov. Agency Member of FL State Agricultural Response Team
ILGHAUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
This is actually my opinion too, and in fact the Women's prison who trains SDs for the public prefers Goldens. Not only are they temperamentally suitable for the work, they are more "public friendly", apparently.

I'm not saying GSDs are not good for SD work but it's just "easier" with other breeds, Labs and Goldens do spring to mind.
In this case it is not the dog more than it is the training methods used. In general I agree and so do other Orgs that the LAB/Golden is easier to train for this work. Truth is IMO the GSD does not adapt well to cookie cutter training methods of a lot of orgs. They need more personalized attention for both the dog and the disabled handler. On the flip side IMO when you are able to give the dog (GSD) and the handler personalized attention that is tailored for both of them specifically, the results with the GSD are just amazing in comparison to the cookie cutter trained LAB/GOLDEN SD. More time and versatility = more costs associated with the raising and training of a SD. That is also a factor with a lot of SD orgs. LABS/GOLDENS are cheaper to train and adapt better to a mass production format. Also, a LAB/GOLDEN (So I have heard) is easier for the public to accept VS a GSD as they view a GSD as thetening in general by false perception IE Police Dog.
SFGSSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

The retriever breeds are universally used for this endeavor as well as for scent detection by police and military. I have several as well as GSDS. So articulate if you will with regard to "cookie cutter" training
Also why do you feel retrievers are cheaper to train?
www.nndda.org, Certifying official all fields
www.k9trainingcenters.com

Last edited by ladylaw203; 01-26-2013 at 12:14 PM.
ladylaw203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.