Just Decided to Become A Breeder. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just Decided to Become A Breeder.

I got my first GSD puppy a few months ago, and I have decided that I would really like, in the future, to become a breeder.

I've had a few ups and downs with my boy, but, on the whole, he's been wonderful to have and work with.

I've started getting into working with my dog, although my knowledge is still limited. I've joined a Schutzhund Club, and we have a long way to go yet, but it's strengthened my love of the sport and the breed.

I'm still pretty young (22), and in school, so I don't want to rush into anything, but I'd really like to become a breeder in about 5-10 years or so. Right now, I just want to soak up as much as I can and work with my dog.

Can I get some straightforward advice on how to get started? What to read, what to learn, etc?
Louise Lai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
x11
Banned

my suggestion is bookmark your desire to become a breeder and just go get some general life knowledge. 22 years old....
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think for now you should just enjoy your dog and focus on learning everything you can learn about the breed before you even think about actually breeding.
FirstTimeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't plan on starting right now. Like I said in my first post, I'm thinking more like...10 years down the road. But it's something I want to work up to. If I don't think about it now, 10 years down the line, I won't know any more than I do right now.

FirstTimeGSD, I'm trying to learn. I'm just asking for pointers on where to start said education, and all I'm getting are disparaging responses about my age.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Getting Started...
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Your SchH club is a good start. I would read as much as you can on the history of the breed. Train, spend time around dogs, watch, listen, spend time around breeders and other trainers, watch, ask questions, listen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Louise,
Welcome to the forum! This is a great place to learn. You will read a lot of great stuff here and be exposed to many aspects of the breed from people here who have decades of experience.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you for the advice and welcome! I've actually done quite a bit of lurking, but finally decided to get some personalized advice.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Go to your club...a lot.

Go to shows and trials...a lot.

Talk to people that know things about dogs, get objective opinions on your dog and other people's dogs. Reading will get you some information, a little more in depth on pedigrees, but really the best way to learn is to go and see things happening. See dogs in real life, understand all the "terms" that are used. Start learning correct conformation and correct drives.

You don't have to plan on being a breeder, hopefully 10 years from now you have a dog that is breed worthy and someone will take you under their wing and show you the way. Like the other posters have said, you don't really have to have this plan now, just learn as much as you can about the breed and how to do things responsibly.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If you plan to do anything, why not at 22?
It's a lot better to have plans and goals when you are 20 something than at 40.

You can change your plans if you choose but never let anyone discourage you.

Lisa gave some good general advice. I think the thread Lies posted is pretty much useless. Sorry Lies.

There are a number of very knowledgeable people on here that can help you if they choose to. Keep reading threads on breeding and training and you will figure out who knows what they are talking about, and then there is the rest of us.

Read Iceberg Breeders. That thread will give you an idea about the complexities of breeding. It's a good long read.

Best wishes to you.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.