Just Decided to Become A Breeder. - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Louise, the most learning is done through doing though I also did a tremendous amount of reading. The more you do, the more dogs you work, the greater your understanding will be of the breed. Keep an open mind. We all can become a bit blind at times. That is human nature. I think it is harder now because many of those that really knew and understood this breed have died or are not as available.

Good luck.
Reading is good. I love reading, and I welcome any reading material on the subject.

Also, I will find that book. Sounds like a good read.

Also, I don't plan on my dog being used for breeding. He's my first one, and I plan to make all my mistakes on him.
Louise Lai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post

Start at the beginning. Find a copy of The German Shepherd Dog in Word and Picture, by Max von Stephanitz. He founded the breed back in the late 1800's and I believe the book was written around 1920. You can usually find a used copy on Amazon for a decent price.
I found this in ebook format for $9.00. Not bad at all.
Louise Lai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #33 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Louis Lai - There are some really good breeders out there. Some not so good. And some that are doing nothing but destroying the breed.

I'd love for you to jump in and get your feet wet. Study. Study. Study. Work. Work. Work. Become one of the really good breeders. The GSD breed really needs them!
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #34 (permalink)
Elite Member

Louise:

Another suggestion is to join the German Shepherd Dog Club of America. While it does have a lot of photos and show results from AKC conformation shows, it also shows the results of the herding trials, obedience trials and other events in which GSDs compete. I joined when I got my first GSD puppy this year and find that reading the Review each month helps with my breed education.

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
WVGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #35 (permalink)
Crowned Member

hi louise, i have thought about you and your question for a few days now, and have decided that i'm probably biased in favor of not breeding because i'm involved in rescue, and that really isn't fair. i also thought about how the breed does need to continue and how in order to do that there must be breeders. here is my new thought on the subject and it's pretty simple...if you have rock solid, i mean inherently rock solid (even at your young age), character, and a well developed and implemented sense of ethics...then i say learn all you can and go for it. you just GOTTA have character and ethics built in. all the rest you can learn, but don't underestimate the time it will take. really good breeders devote a lifetime. wishing you good luck and kinda regretting my first knee-jerk response. take care.
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #36 (permalink)

There's a lot of breeders out there already. That being said, in any career, hobby, etc. you will always find a place if you are the best at what you do. At least half of the GSD breeders out there are not offering good dogs. My dog was expensive to buy from a reputable breeder, and I would never breed this dog. She'll be gettiing spayed as soon as I can afford it. Too many bad traits. Lots of us can help improve the breed by not breeding them.
Jrnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.