Breeder Mentor - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
bethany: You need to do a lot more legwork in terms of reading and learning theoretical knowledge. There is no short cut to this and a breeder does not want to spend the significant time it takes to teach you the basics. This can easily be done over the internet, and with DVDs/videos. There are lots of sources where you can gain info on lines and pedigrees. Once you decide which line is right for you, then start narrowing down to a particular venue and then look for a mentor.

This is right on the money!

I can speak from the same place regarding training apprentices. We get quite a few calls a year from people looking for us to mentor them as helpers or just general trainers. We have learned over the years not to waste our time unless the person can show some evidence that they have taken it upon themselves to start the learning process already. Our latest guy sent me youtbube videos of the Schtuzhund type training he has been doing with his 40lb shelter dog. We were very impressed that he had worked that hard on a dog that really didn't have the natural ability for much of the work. He had read books, watched trials on youtube and joined forums. This little dog was doing some great focused heeling and had started on a nice little hold and bark as well as being taught some cute tricks for fun. We had no trouble taking him on and even ended up loaning him one of our GSDs to foster and train which has been great fun. But he had to show that he had made the effort and would pursue the sport with or without us.

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #22 (permalink)

I just want to thank everyone for their nice and respectful responses. Carmspack, I would love to take you up on that offer! Just send me a PM with the details and such, please. I'm very much well aware that to do this the right way it's going to involve a lot of work (blood, sweat and tears) but I'm completely prepared and ready for that. I'll do what I can within reason of my work schedule and between taking care of my own dogs, that's for sure. I'm definitely going to start going around to different venues, etc and seeing what catches my eye and maybe talking to some people that own the dogs that catch my eye.

Another question. Since Shutzhund is the end all be all of GSD's so to speak, are conformation breeders generally frowned upon? I'm not talking about the extreme conformation like the "frog dogs" you see in the famed youtube video comparing the dogs of the past to the show ring dogs now with extreme angulation in the rear. That's taking some things to the extreme. However, there are some UKC conformation competitor dogs that doesn't look too bad as far as the rear angulation and such goes. What are everyone's thoughts on using the UKC?
bethany.cole2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #23 (permalink)

Oh and I have also applied to become a member of the GSDCA.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany.cole2013 View Post
What are everyone's thoughts on using the UKC?
I can't speak for anyone else, obviously, but to me if you are showing UKC it is because you want to exhibit a trait that is not accepted by the SV, White GSDs would be an example. I don't put much faith in a UKC conformation title. I have seen enough shows where the judge was totally unprepared for a breed and was referring to the standard before walking in the ring. IMHO, if you are at that level of knowledge about a given breed then you should be apprenticing under a knowledgeable judge until you know the breed(s).
UKC is a good place to do obedience titles and the like,though. I know plenty of people who have limited access to AKC shows so will do UKC for CD, CDX etc.
I hate to be ungracious sounding, but to many a UKC CH title is kind of like getting your degree from one of those late night informercials. You may run across a good program on occasion but not as a rule.

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

this morning I was reading Peter Rohde's blistering comment on 2007 BSZS . He says he tries to be in the middle , with some consideration , different than the higher expectations (entschieden hoher sein muss!) of the BSP and even so he says there were some very good dogs at the same time some terrible , strikingly bad dogs , that made you wonder how some of them ever passed a schutzhund trial.

You have to read widely. I would go one step further and would recommend a rudimentary grasp of some German . Rosetta Stone language aides which have proven themselves effective . This way you can go to the heart of the matter and read first hand comments and in depth information.

I am more than happy to send the GSD Reviews to you. I am going to pick them up today and may have one box ready to send to you tomorrow. All I ask is to be reimbursed for the shipping costs.

Any way I can support you in your journey I would be more than happy to participate.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
this morning I was reading Peter Rohde's blistering comment on 2007 BSZS . He says he tries to be in the middle , with some consideration , different than the higher expectations (entschieden hoher sein muss!) of the BSP and even so he says there were some very good dogs at the same time some terrible , strikingly bad dogs , that made you wonder how some of them ever passed a schutzhund trial.

You have to read widely. I would go one step further and would recommend a rudimentary grasp of some German . Rosetta Stone language aides which have proven themselves effective . This way you can go to the heart of the matter and read first hand comments and in depth information.

I am more than happy to send the GSD Reviews to you. I am going to pick them up today and may have one box ready to send to you tomorrow. All I ask is to be reimbursed for the shipping costs.

Any way I can support you in your journey I would be more than happy to participate.Thank you! I do appreciate the help so much. I also sent you a private message, so you should have it in your inbox.
Another question. Why would someone breed dogs that were carriers of DM? That would seem almost unethical in my opinion. Anyone else's thoughts on this?
Old 11-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

As long as you don't breed carrier to carrier, the offspring should not be afflicted with DM. So if a known DM carrier showed up in a pedigree, I couldn't get too upset about it. That said, if someone is breeding a DM carrier, that dog had better be outstanding in every other way IMO.

In some breeds, the gene pool is so small and genetic issues like this are so widespread that you pretty much have to breed carriers, or you will be taking out half the gene pool. I don't think this is the case with GSDs and DM, though.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
As long as you don't breed carrier to carrier, the offspring should not be afflicted with DM. So if a known DM carrier showed up in a pedigree, I couldn't get too upset about it. That said, if someone is breeding a DM carrier, that dog had better be outstanding in every other way IMO.

In some breeds, the gene pool is so small and genetic issues like this are so widespread that you pretty much have to breed carriers, or you will be taking out half the gene pool. I don't think this is the case with GSDs and DM, though.
About 90% of this individual breeder's dogs are DM carriers and a few of her breeding dogs are even DM mutant/mutant.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What is the draw of this breeders program to have her DM dogs so in demand?
Old 11-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany.cole2013 View Post
About 90% of this individual breeder's dogs are DM carriers and a few of her breeding dogs are even DM mutant/mutant.
Who is the breeder and how did you find this person? Just a random Google search?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.