Breeder Mentor - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Selzer is correct. It's not enough to just ask around for a mentor. You have to make THEM notice YOU, by getting out there, training and showing, joining clubs, learning, asking questions, listening, studying, reading... really prove yourself dedicated. You can't do all that on the internet (although it does help).

Many wannabe-breeders start out looking great, and then their interest fizzles, or they decide taking shortcuts is easier. Seasoned breeders and dog-people have seen it happen too many times to be overly enthusiastic about helping newbies, so be prepared for that. Don't expect people to fall head over heels for you right away--you really have to prove yourself, and it takes years.

None of this is meant to discourage you, in fact, we NEED more responsible, ethical people breeding dogs the RIGHT way, and everyone has to start somewhere. You are saying all the right things so far, and if you stand by your principles, you'll be miles ahead of most.

One thing I can honestly recommend is... stay on this forum and read, read, read. Ask questions. Be prepared for differing opinions and arguments which may confuse you at first. The more you learn, and the more you actually work with dogs, the more things will make sense.

Breeding dogs is an ethical quagmire. When I was younger, I thought I wanted to breed GSDs too...but the more I learned, the more I realized that I just don't have the temperament for it. Be prepared to ponder a lot of philosophical concerns as well as the nuts and bolts of it all. I do this almost on a daily basis. I'm a big question asker and like to know why things work the way they do. I guess I just naturally have a very inquisitive nature.
I am a bit confused as to why Shutzhund is the end all be all in the German Shepherd breed. I know that the breed is so versatile and can do anything that they put their mind to pretty much. If you guys can go and look at my pictures that I've posted before of Sheba, her conformation is something that I would love to continue to reproduce, but I can't with her. She's spayed and already four years old so I wouldn't breed her anyway. Plus she isn't registered. I've been made aware of all of the health testing that is pretty much required to produce healthy and genetically excellent puppies. So, what I want to ask now is why is Shutzhund so highly prized in the German Shepherd and what are some of the better bloodlines for the sport?
bethany.cole2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany.cole2013 View Post
I am a bit confused as to why Shutzhund is the end all be all in the German Shepherd breed. I know that the breed is so versatile and can do anything that they put their mind to pretty much. If you guys can go and look at my pictures that I've posted before of Sheba, her conformation is something that I would love to continue to reproduce, but I can't with her. She's spayed and already four years old so I wouldn't breed her anyway. Plus she isn't registered. I've been made aware of all of the health testing that is pretty much required to produce healthy and genetically excellent puppies. So, what I want to ask now is why is Shutzhund so highly prized in the German Shepherd and what are some of the better bloodlines for the sport?
Schutzhund was developed for the breed, but IMHO herding/HGH is just as meaningful. Schutzhund is a great way to test for correct workability, drive, temperament, etc. American and Canadian showlines rarely do well in Schutzhund from my experience. Working lines and German Show are typical in sport.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Wolf View Post
Schutzhund was developed for the breed, but IMHO herding/HGH is just as meaningful. Schutzhund is a great way to test for correct workability, drive, temperament, etc.

Schutzhund was developed as one of 2 tests recognized by the SV as a dog's worthiness to be bred and to get papers on the progeny.
In their home country a GSD breeder cannot get pups registered with the SV if the parents don't have certain criteria met, a Schutzhund title or HGH title.

So it is the be-all, end-all test for the GSD because the founding powers that be deemed it so.

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 12:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Conformation is just one aspect of the breed. Herding, agility and Schutzhund(IPO) show the versatile working ability, but IPO is the true test as far as breed worthiness goes(if done truthfully)as it is according to the SV standards which is managed by the FCI
United Schutzhund Clubs of America - Breed Standard
Old 11-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Schutzhund was developed as a test of breedworthiness. A "temperament test", if you will. Something that proved the dog's working ability. These days it is not just a breed test, but a sport in and of itself. There are many other venues in which GSDs can prove their working ability, but SchH (or HGH, a herding test) is the test that, in Germany, every GSD MUST pass before they can be bred.

Here in the US, there is NO temperament or breedworthiness test required for breeding, which some argue has caused the downfall of the breed. But many US breeders still follow the German tradition and title their dogs as part of a selection process.

It's generally agreed that working lines score higher at SchH than show lines, but in Germany, ALL GSDs must pass at least a SchH1 regardless of bloodline. So technically all of them should be capable of it. However, American show lines have not been participating in SchH for many decades, and to date I am not aware of any American show line GSDs attaining a title. I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually, I think there is one titled dog who is half American and half German show line.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 01:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

bethany ! hello. How would you like several year's worth of German Shepherd Dog Reviews , going back to the 1970's for the cost of shipping . There are good breeder and judge and handler interviews , articles , example Carmen Battaglia http://breedingbetterdogs.com/pdfFil...ulation_en.pdf

who also writes about genetics and other issues. The magazines are rich in pictures , one or two per page almost every page . This is a visual documentation of the changes of the breed in North America making trends and fads and changes in conformation evident .
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 01:53 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

From 1970 to mid 1980's my German Shepherd review was the most highly read and prized literature in my house....lol Take Carmen up on the offer for the historical content and perspective of the American lines.....if you're really sharp you will be able to see some interesting trend develop.
cliffson1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 02:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

the reason I am not keeping this collection is because I already have it - I don't need duplicates .
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 03:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

bethany: You need to do a lot more legwork in terms of reading and learning theoretical knowledge. There is no short cut to this and a breeder does not want to spend the significant time it takes to teach you the basics. This can easily be done over the internet, and with DVDs/videos. There are lots of sources where you can gain info on lines and pedigrees. Once you decide which line is right for you, then start narrowing down to a particular venue and then look for a mentor. Use this forum, other sources like pedigreedatabase, online links about different lines etc. Like others said, visit different dog related events and figure out which line is right for you. By the way, you cannot "decide" to be a breeder. You go out, do the leg work, learn learn learn, if you do it the right way, it takes a long time, you won't make any money and it will be a lot of work. If you will be any good at it...only time and your progeny will tell!

Where are you located? There are several schh clubs, agility, obedience, AKC clubs in the state and some good ones in neighboring states. You will need to travel, but that is pretty much a given in dog related activities - you will spend a good majority of your time traveling!
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #20 (permalink)

Tho I obviously can not speak for her, and I have no idea how close in KY to her you are, but Wanda aka Kleinen Hain German Shepherds - Home may be able to direct you or help you out re: mentoring.

She has working lines but does it all with her dogs. My girl Masi came from wanda and I am very happy with her.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.