Getting Started... - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
Elite Member

Join a Scch club work a dog there, title it meet people and prove yourself. Most clubs have a few breeders that attend and will happily sell unrestricted dogs to other members.
As for purchasing you can buy plenty of nice unrestricted WL GSDS online. Pedigree data base, working line dog forums etc.
Theres a breeder who imports Nice Chezck dogs, and usually sells pups as well. Alpine Kennels I believe.

Just be sure you know what your looking for temperment bloodlines wise. How do you learn that stuff? Research and go to the local Schutzhund Club. I learned more there then anywhere else and I still have much more to learn.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #22 (permalink)

I am a huge supporter of working lines vs. conformation. Most of the working dogs I have met I've really liked in both body and mind, especially Czech dogs. However I try to look for bloodlines that have some history of therapy work since I have also met a few Belgian malinois who apparently do great in the French ring but are absolutely psychotic in real life. There are some locally bred police GSDs in this area that are pretty nuts as well. We occasionally see an RCMP GSD who is DDR/Czech lines, and he is everything I would want in a dog. Hard-working and focused when on, but a laid back family pet when off-duty. Most importantly, no health issues! It does seem that his breeder only sells to RCMP however I have met a few Czech dogs that are very similar. The theory is that Boomer's condition may be attributed to the sloped-back look of show (especially USA) GSDs so I do tend to look for dogs with a straight top-line. *ducks to dodge the flying rocks* Because I feel that GSDs should be jack-of-all trades dogs I do look for a variety of working titles including herding, tracking, agility, SAR, police work, therapy, Sch and just good family dogs. I originally thought about importing, but I did find a breeder I like in Canada, so I may try to go a bit more locally. German Shepherd breeder,German Shepherd puppies

I'm very happy to say that I found a local Sch. club and that I just received an invited to go snoop in on training! Boomer can't play, and the Doberdog is a bit too "special" but I'm hoping I can still get involved.
ShoshanaRVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are some locally bred police GSDs in this area that are pretty nuts as well.

---------are they police dogs that are certified or are you talking about the persons personal dogs -- two different things

"It does seem that his breeder only sells to RCMP however"

----- never heard of such a thing -- not every dog they produce will fulfill their demands , as in all things in breeding you hand pick them for their different callings -- I have had several dogs in with the RCMP --
ask for proof - bill of sale !
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Quote:
The theory is that Boomer's condition may be attributed to the sloped-back look of show (especially USA) GSDs so I do tend to look for dogs with a straight top-line. *ducks to dodge the flying rocks*
If it was due to the sloped back, then more GSD's with sloped backs would have it.
Home of Ch Doll; U-CDx Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP OA AXJ(ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Natty; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #25 (permalink)

Andaka: It is something that is popping up in the USA show lines. I do not know extensive details because Boomer is only part of the study (and one of the first documented dogs). I'm not actually doing anything other than submitting samples and information, and occasionally getting updates. There is still many years of work to know the root cause and possibly develop a genetic test. The only thing they know thus far is it is showing up in GSDs: reputable breeders, BYBs, and puppy-mills. It has yet to show up in working lines. The challenge of this study is most breeders ad rescues would have these pups humanly euthanized as soon as their deformities become apparent as their future quality of life would be questionable.

carmspack: Thank you, I will keep looking into it. Perhaps he just prefers working homes, and got the impression mine would not be. The questionable dogs are certified police dogs, and comments on behaviour from a person who used to work with them and who's opinion on dogs I value. I don't want to go into any details for confidentiality reasons.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #26 (permalink)

Maybe I missed it but what's the name of Boomer's condition?
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #27 (permalink)

Liesje: Terribly unscientific, so far it's just called straight-leg-shepherds. Medically speaking it would just be listed as "multiple hindlimb abnormalities". Unfortunately the only information on-line is terribly out of date at this time and there just simply isn't much out there to begin with. The largest issue that the people trying to research this condition faces is the majority of pups are humanly euthanized very young or at birth. Therefore many dogs cannot be screened for other diseases that can be very similar or even to added into the database if they are indeed a straight-leg shepherds.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #28 (permalink)

there is someone on this forum (and forgive me I can't remember their handle) who's had quite a few shepherds with this, she has adopted them because of their special needs. I don't recall the lines of the dogs she has/had. Maybe another member can fill in the blanks

And I do not believe it is due to 'sloped back"...if so, as Daphne said, there would be hundreds out there with it.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #29 (permalink)
GT
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
there is someone on this forum (and forgive me I can't remember their handle) who's had quite a few shepherds with this, she has adopted them because of their special needs. I don't recall the lines of the dogs she has/had. Maybe another member can fill in the blanks
Joanne ("Spiritsmam") adopted several GSDs with straight hind legs.
Disabled German Shepherds, hindlimb deformity, limb deformity, straight leg shepherds

Old 01-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #30 (permalink)

GT thank you, that's her

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.