Getting Started... - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Boomer is definitely special, and my first (not family) GSD. All my dogs are special. But breeding special? Not at all. (I actually had someone ask me if I planned on breeding Boomer because he has pretty coloring. They didn't think the paralysis thing was a big deal, and that it was a shame I neutered him ASAP) Thank you for all the input and expertise, please keep it coming!

I should clarify that if my future dogs will always be my family first, competition dogs next, then breeding dogs only if they do a good enough job in the first 2 areas. If my first dog is not exceptional enough that her breeding would benefit the GSD, I would not breed her, period. I'm hoping that with enough research I can maximize that possibility, but still unsure how to bring that up with the kennel. Can you have a non-breeding contract re-written if the dog show potential? I'm under the impression that dogs are given a non-breeding contract for a reason so I'm uncomfortable with this. I want to be straightforward with the breeder so that they can help me find the right dog, a working dog who is also family friendly and social that may be breeding material.
ShoshanaRVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

it's like this. a person has their first child. the child is special
but that doesn't mean the child should breed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland View Post
Just because you don't breed a dog -does not mean that it isn't special-She was equating breeding a dog with it being special its not-my opinion
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

FINALLY! Somebody who isnt coming here to say "Welp-just bred my dog. Now I'm a GSD breeder. What do I do when the puppies get here.?"

OP, I could kiss you, and I wish the best of luck on your way to becoming a true breeder.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
it's like this. a person has their first child. the child is special
but that doesn't mean the child should breed.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoshanaRVT View Post
I should clarify that if my future dogs will always be my family first, competition dogs next, then breeding dogs only if they do a good enough job in the first 2 areas. If my first dog is not exceptional enough that her breeding would benefit the GSD, I would not breed her, period. I'm hoping that with enough research I can maximize that possibility, but still unsure how to bring that up with the kennel. Can you have a non-breeding contract re-written if the dog show potential? I'm under the impression that dogs are given a non-breeding contract for a reason so I'm uncomfortable with this. I want to be straightforward with the breeder so that they can help me find the right dog, a working dog who is also family friendly and social that may be breeding material.
I believe some breeders who have non-breeding contracts and sell limited registration will lift that and switch to full registration once the dog is of a certain age and attains certain health certificates and/or titles, so yes this is possible and does happen. You can also just get full registration from the get-go. This is what I have done, as I am just not comfortable with someone else limiting what I can do with my dog. Now to date I have not bred, even my dogs that were purchase with no limits and full registration. I like to have that choice though, and not have to jump through someone else's hoops in order to get restrictions lifted later on, but I find that at least in the USA I seem to be in the minority and a lot of people will insist a breeder is not reputable *unless* they are selling limited registration. I am of the opinion that if a breeder does not like something about me or how they think I will treat the dog it is their right not to sell me a dog but once I buy a dog it is mine and I will decide what I can and cannot do with it.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think that many problems with the breed come from breeders who do not know what they are breeding because they do not prove their dogs against other great dogs.

If you are interested in being involved in tracking, obedience and agility, my advice is to buy the best dog you can find and become very active in those avenues. Become really competitive. You will learn so much more about the breed by doing and being involved. You will see and compete against great examples of the breed and you will be known for your passion. Along the way you will have your chance to make your mark on the breed. It is your active involvement in the breed that will make the difference.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks again everyone!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
If you are interested in being involved in tracking, obedience and agility, my advice is to buy the best dog you can find and become very active in those avenues. Become really competitive. You will learn so much more about the breed by doing and being involved. You will see and compete against great examples of the breed and you will be known for your passion.
Exactly this.

Just from the bit I have done, I learned SO much that I never could have without actually being there. I'm not a breeder and I don't really compete anymore, but once you get out there and SEE the dogs, in training and in trialing, you get a series of "aha" moments that you can build upon for the rest of your career in dogs. May I ask how old you are?

My suggestion would be this: Get your first well-bred GSD to have fun and learn the ropes with. Don't expect him/her to be your breeding foundation--if works out, great, but don't EXPECT it. He/she is your learning dog. Get involved in every GSD-related event you can. Make connections with other GSD people. Listen, and watch everyone else train. Your goal at this point is education, not breeding.

Hopefully, through all these activities, you will be able to find a mentor. That is really the only way to learn how to become a breeder, IMO. It might be the breeder you got your dog from, or it might not. Some breeders are excited about helping new folks get into the breed, others are more wary of newcomers. If you get out there with your dog and prove that you are dedicated and serious, people are more likely to take you seriously, and you're more likely to find people willing to help.

And thank you for approaching things the RIGHT way!
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:00 AM   #19 (permalink)

I am in my mid 20's right now, so I have many years ahead to learn the ropes, and make a positive difference. (I should point out that unlike most people my age I've been out of post-secondary for many years with a well-established career, married in a very stable relationship, and overall stable life. I have lived with, owned, and trained dogs my entire life and I'm on to my 3rd & 4th not family owned dog. I also understand that life will throw you punches and you just have to roll with them!) I have a few friends that I'm learning a lot of basic breeding info from (one breeds Golden Retrievers and one Cavalier King Charles Spaniels). I'm learning a tonne of info from this forum (including what not to do!), local events, trainers, and breeders, including the local GSD club. I'm going into this knowing that the first bitch I bring home may not be breeding quality, but I want to keep the possibility open that she will be. Is it wiser to spay her no matter how she does and just have fun? I would just hate to miss the opportunity if she turns out to be a great foundation girl. That being said, is it wrong to look for a great foundation bitch right away? I'm currently getting Boomer into tracking (other sports are out due to his wheelies) to get a feel for it. Because of the extra work that goes into caring for Boomer, my next dog will not be coming until after Boomer has moved on to bigger and better things (hopefully many years, but there's no shame in planning ahead)
Old 11-29-2012, 03:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

you have some good ideas . Just to comment on this ", is it wrong to look for a great foundation bitch right away" my answer would be yes and no and yes.
The very first thing you need to get is a foundation in understanding the breed , before a foundation breed bitch . There are some great threads on this forum - Ice Berg breeders , one on the Swedish mentality tests , another one on samples of good conformation , genetic obedience , many others .
So what dogs do you like so far?
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.