Breed and keep a pup or buy a new one? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #31 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Are you planning on getting your dog titled or anything? Looks like they don't own the bitch from your pup... or maybe it's just not on their website? I'd prefer a breeder that handles their own dogs, but that's preference. I'm still confused about the jump from the breeder to talking about breeding your dog. Also, breeding two titled dogs does not a good breeder make. Don't know if this breeder knows how to match up pedigrees correctly or not... or how much he knows about his own dogs since they aren't HOT. They are gorgeous, though! Do you have pics of your dog you can share? Bet she's a looker, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #32 (permalink)

Na Im not interested in getting her titled, Yeah heres a pic iv more on my page, I love her so much

Attached Thumbnails
Breed and keep a pup or buy a new one?-bella-juicy.jpg  
Mary1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #33 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you aren't interested in titling, the only reason to breed your female would be... well, actually, I can't think of a good reason. The only thing you would get out of it is a puppy, right? The breeder would do the breeding, whelp the pups, raise them, then sell them?

The breeder should be titling the dogs before breeding, so would he title her also?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #34 (permalink)

Well the breeder told me he would do it all yeah, Im not to sure what you mean by titling to be honest Like shes my first GS I really dont know much, but Iv changed my mind about breeding, But I really want to get a male, and of course neuter them both
Mary1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #35 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary1990 View Post
Like shes my first GS I really dont know much, but Iv changed my mind about breeding, But I really want to get a male, and of course neuter them both
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
Are you planning on getting your dog titled or anything? Looks like they don't own the bitch from your pup... or maybe it's just not on their website? I'd prefer a breeder that handles their own dogs, but that's preference. I'm still confused about the jump from the breeder to talking about breeding your dog. Also, breeding two titled dogs does not a good breeder make. Don't know if this breeder knows how to match up pedigrees correctly or not... or how much he knows about his own dogs since they aren't HOT. They are gorgeous, though! Do you have pics of your dog you can share? Bet she's a looker, too.
There are so many contradictions in breeding dogs.

A good breeder breeds for the future, but a good breeder has only so many dogs that they can manage on their own. A good breeder will take dogs back if necessary. A good breeder does not put down dogs as soon as they stop producing. Some of you would have a heart attack to think that a breeder might place a retired bitch. If you breed then rescue, if you don't rescue don't breed.

It is easy to see that if you have your foundation bitch and her progeny that are now retired, and some of their progeny who are currently producing, and some youngsters to see how they fill out in order to move forward with, a dog or two that did not turn out, and are now pets, and maybe a rescue or two, you are going to be way over the moon with dogs. Which makes you not a good breeder because you have more than you can properly care for.

Also, SOMEONE has to have stud dogs. Frankly, it makes sense for some breeders to own good stud dogs. But that does not mean that are the best dogs for their own bitches, and it does not mean that they are not a good dog for an outside bitch. If a stud owner breeds his dog to an outside bitch and does this with thought, that breeder may be very interested in the get. They may help to place the puppies and they may have used a stud fee for a puppy.

So a possible answer to the riddle is to place your bitches on a breeding contract, co-own bitches, so that you don't have a dozen or more dogs, and the bitches have a family of their own. I do not see co-owning bitches, breeding contracts, stud-service for a puppy or puppies, and then selling those puppies as a negative at all.

Frankly, I think that it is helpful for a breeder to have trained a dog to some level. But I really don't see it as imperative that they handle and train every dog that they use. If they send a dog out for training, a good breeder will be able to evaluate the dog themselves, they do not necessarily have to walk every yard of the dog's training to gain the proper perception of the dog's ability.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #37 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Thank you for your insights. Co-owning would explain that, also contracting on bitches that others own. I guess I always had thought that breeders owned the bitches, and studs were what they paid for... unless they also owned them. Never thought about it in the reverse. True, a breeder could become over run in a short period of time. I don't think a breeder that places retired females is automatically a bad breeder, especially if they place with care.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #38 (permalink)
Master Member

You and I are on the same page, I am most of the time with my GSD and feel bad when I have to leave the house cuz I know she will be lonely, was thinking about getting another dog, like GSD or doberman but like everyone says here female and female are trouble, but I dont want male dog because they try to hump everything, I would not want to see my dogs doing it thats disgusting. And as far as breeding your dog, dont do it, there can be complications what if she dies or her puppies will have poor health? Do you know how many beautiful GSD are put down?
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
but I dont want male dog because they try to hump everything, I would not want to see my dogs doing it thats disgusting.
My male GSD has never humped anything in his life (and he is still intact). Plenty of females hump too. It depends on the individual dog, not generalized to gender.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #40 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Actually my current female humps-my male I don't think ever did
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.