Some Ideas from a now Retired Dog Breeder - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Some Ideas from a now Retired Dog Breeder

If you're thinking of Breeding your GSD than God Love You cause it's not easy and takes a lot of dedication and love for the breed.
We sure miss having puppies around. We were Basset Hound Breeders a few years back and sold puppies all over the US and even Puerto Rico.

The one thing I liked doing the most was that Every Puppy went to their New Home with a Goodie Bag...

* Shot Records (Local Vet was more than happy to provide the little booklets for advertisement (we gave our own shots and worming so you simply peal the sticker off the Vac. Bottle and affix to record)
* One Day’s worth of the Puppy food they were weaned on.
* Our Copy of “Your New Puppy” Booklet
* Discount Coupons from all the major pet brands (I wrote everyone with an address asking them for give-a-ways and coupons to put in the bag and many were more than happy to send handfuls of goodies!)
* Dog Toy
* Homemade Dog Treats
* Our (non-published) Book we wrote “101 Favorite Homemade Dog Treats”
* Photos of the Puppy's Parents
* Forum address to a private Basset Family Website to share pictures and keep in touch with their puppy's Basset parents and siblings
* AKC Registration Papers
* And the BEST thing I feel we sent off with every puppy was a Mommy Scented Puppy Blanket (We purchased the Yellow Shop Towels and decorated them)

Families loved the little extras but not as much as we loved doing it for them! Feel free to adapt any of the ideas for your own.
"And I will execute great vengeance on them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am... a German Shepherd" - Modified version of Ezekiel 25:17

Last edited by Maggies Dad; 10-10-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Maggies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wow, I love the idea of the Mommy Scented Puppy Blanket.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks!
When we picked up Maggie we brought her "Baby Blanket" with us and got the breeder to give Maggies Mom a rubdown with it. SAVED US that first couple of nights I think
"And I will execute great vengeance on them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am... a German Shepherd" - Modified version of Ezekiel 25:17
Maggies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I did the same thing with Bear when we picked him up. We brought our own baby blanket and gave the mom and his littermates a good rub down with it. The breeder laughed but then said it was a great idea.
Our breeder gave us everything that you mentioned in your post in a big binder, which I still have and look at once in a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.