Questions about becoming a breeder. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Questions about becoming a breeder.

I have a 4 year old WGSD that, not by our own 'hey, we want puppies from our boy!', but after his breeder saw him after he grew up a bit, she wants to breed him. We have absolutely no issue with this and we are happy to do this for the two-legged mother of our boy. We are working with the breeder and she is guiding us through each and every step of this process. He's been OFA'ed, AKC'ed, and health checked like mad.

My question is this: I have never thought about doing shows. Obedience Trials and SAR are more up my alley than the confirmation ring. Are those that are looking for stud dogs more interested in the Confirmation Titles, or is having a very well trained SAR Dog with some good Obedience Titles just as good?

I have noticed in the signatures of everyones' posts that they have dogs with dozens of letters after their names. I do not know what any of them mean, but I'm sure they have to do with both Confirmation and Obedience, but when I look online at breeder websites, you never see anyone talking about their dogs doing anything but shows. I know the dog needs to meet the breed standard first and foremost, but I really want to start the learning process so that, one day, I'm ready to do this on my own.
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 02:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

My first question would be why would your breeder want to breed your dog? What's so significant about him? Has he been breed surveyed? There are lots of breeders out there, and your dog must meet breed standards to even be considered. It sounds like you have plans to work with him to prove some "breed worthiness" but IMO your breeder should be seeing something more than a "pretty dog" to want to breed him. There is a thread here on the 'breed standard" which you may want to take a look at. Who is your breeder? What is your dog's pedigree? There's much more involved than just putting together a male and female. Matching pedigrees, and the history and temperament of both dogs is part of it. Just because you have two good dogs, doesn't mean they're going to produce good pups.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Depending on what the breeder is breeding for its up to them what they want to see. Many ASL breeders could care less about obedience titles and only look for the Ch. in front of the dog's name. And the Ch. isn't that rare...200+ dogs in 2010 I believe. Its interesting that the breeder doesn't care that you haven't shown as many of those breeders do put their best prospects in a home where they expect that dog to be shown.

With that in mind, you've supported this breeder before. Read some of the "reputable breeder" stuff on this forum and do your own research, after that, does this person sound like someone you trust to do the right thing with the puppies and with their breeding program. If this person seems to know what they're doing and you trust them, I can't tell you not to stud to their bitch. In this situation you're really not a breeder.

As the owner of a male myself I have come to the conclusion that if a bitch owner that I know and trust enough to do the right thing with the puppies asks me to stud to their dog I will definitely think about it. I'll check the lines and see if things line up (in your case your dog is already from those lines). It is interesting that this breeder wants to breed to your boy as they should have something in their lines already that has everything your dog has to offer...are you breeding to a family member or a new bitch they purchased?

Depending on your dog, your area, and other things...you probably won't be asked to stud by anyone else based on your dog's current titles and achievements. If you are asked I would really question the breeder asking (no offense). You have correct reservations as your dog hasn't really proven himself against the competition (in conformation or obedience/work). It is very true that most times people that show look for championships and dogs that were successful in the show ring, and people that show in the obedience ring like to see dogs that were successful in that ring. If you start training/trialing now, by the time you're done your dog will be too old to breed anyways...if you're interested in starting one day you can go through it with this one as a learning process for the next one.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If I were you I would find a working event that both the dog can excel in and that you enjoy. That may be Search and Rescue, obedience, advanced tracking, or maybe even herding. Too me, a working title says more about the dogs value to the breed than a confirmation title.

One more thing, if you are out there working and competing with your dog against other GSDs you will get a better idea of whether or not your dog should be used for breeding. The more people who are exposed to your dog in action, the more feedback you will receive (positive or negative) about interest in your dog.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think in all fairness, if you are doing all the health checks, you are working with your breeder, and you are planning to do obedience or agility or something like that, then you are no different than the vast majority of ASL breeders who breed with CH in front of dogs name or even some west German SL breeders, and I don't see people taking them through changes.....so I guess I would say continue the path that I see many other reputable breeders taking.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

@Jag: Finn comes from a good working line. He came from the last litter between his parents and the breeder wants to restart things with this particular line. She wants to spend quality time with her aging pets before settling back into the breeding cycle. He conforms to breed standard from what she has said (I am trying to stack him to post pictures on this site, but it's not going very well. I have one of him in an *almost* stack that I'll submit.) but she likes his drive. We got great kudos in our SAR group and he has a beautiful temperment.

@martemchik: During one of our several breeder/buyer interviews, we told her that we were looking for a good SAR dog. We sat with her for a long time and talked about what to look for in a pup; good play drive, not the most dominant, but not the little pup sitting all alone in the back. Finn just had that extra something. I was sitting with my husband, trying to make our decision and I was spinning the collar around on my finger when he walked up and plopped his butt down in front of us. He nosed at the collar a few times and when I held it up, he put his nose and head through it, then walked off with his head held high back to his brothers and sisters.

We were told that he was one of two dogs another breeder wanted, but hadn't made her final decision on, so we made a second pick, a pretty girl I initially wanted. We were sure we were going to get the girl when our breeder called and said we got the boy.

Reading the reputable breeder stuff, she had met that and excelled. I laughed with her once during our second phone interview that I'm sure my parents went through less when they adopted me! She told us from the very beginning that we weren't promised a dog; if she didn't like us or something that she heard, we wouldn't get one from her. We trust her immensely. We would be breeding to a friend of hers (another breeder) with their bitch. We are planning on freezing sperm, so the age of Finn isn't too much of an issue. I just get to enjoy him being him.

@robk: We are finishing up our CGC classes next month, then we are going to try and do obedience/working trials.

@cliffson1: Thank you.

I have no issue with never breeding him. Per the breeder, as much as she would love to continue his line, in the end, it is our decision. She respects it and honors it in every way, which makes me feel pretty good. We have some samples of him frozen and if we find a good girl down the line, we have that option. If not, I'm okay with destroying the samples and starting over with another boy.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
He conforms to breed standard from what she has said (I am trying to stack him to post pictures on this site, but it's not going very well. I have one of him in an *almost* stack that I'll submit.)
Finn if I'm not mistaken is white and therefore does not conform to the breed standard unless your breeder is producing White Shepherds rather than white coated German Shepherd Dogs. White is a disqualifying fault in the GSD breed standard. Finn can't compete in the AKC show ring. No white GSD can have an AKC Championship title.

Quote:
Reading the reputable breeder stuff, she had met that and excelled.
Would you mind sharing the breeders kennel name?

Quote:
If not, I'm okay with destroying the samples and starting over with another boy.
Looking into the future are you planning on breeding standard GSD's (black and tan etc.), whites, or both?
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
I think in all fairness, if you are doing all the health checks, you are working with your breeder, and you are planning to do obedience or agility or something like that, then you are no different than the vast majority of ASL breeders who breed with CH in front of dogs name or even some west German SL breeders, and I don't see people taking them through changes.....so I guess I would say continue the path that I see many other reputable breeders taking.
I can't believe you wrote this.
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Why?.....what about what I wrote was not true???? The issue to me is hypocrisy! How many reputable breeders today are breeding with little more than health checks?, and some titles that any dog can acquire? If they happen to be members of this board they get a pass! See I read very carefully what people write....this poster said they were going to work with their breeder....am I to assume the breeder knows nothing? Especially when the OP says they are going to pursue the same standards as some of the breeders on this forum who are creditable and have much to say on breeding. I'm just trying to be fair, but my gut tells me that the breeder is probably not a BYB breeder. As more info comes out we'll see if this path is much different from many other reputable breeders in the country.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Cliff, do you still agree with the breeding knowing this is a white GSD?
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.