Breeding an aggressive German Shepherd - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #21 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Believe us; even if it isn't genetic she will teach her pups. I had that same experience with a shelter dog whose litter I fostered. The mother was aggressive to visitors so I kept her away as soon as I expected people over so her pups wouldn't see her behavior. I kept one of the pups and had to have him euthanized due to aggression at 7 years old. It might have been genetic, I don't know but I worked so hard on this litter to keep them safe but couldn't evidently stand up against genes, just as you cannot stand up against the mother's behavior.
I am glad you asked advice here so you can prevent a lot of heartache for potential future owners.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #22 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyJargon View Post
My German shepherd is 2 years old and i want to breed her but she is quite dog agressive, mostly because she's scared of other dogs, any advice?
IMO, DON'T! ...do you really want to pass that on?
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You can't people to tell you something you want to hear,even if it isn't right. I agree with all the others, get her spayed.

Quote:
Really wasn't hoping to hear this
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #24 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Don't take offense to this but at least most people come on here asking about breeding because their dogs have normal temperaments, maybe not outstanding examples of the breed but they're good dogs. In your situation, you know enough to understand that she doesn't have a good temperament and are still asking. The only thing I can think of that's left is that you think she's beautiful, but remember the pups won't look like her, and I can find you 40000 people on this website that will tell you their dog is more beautiful than yours (although I'm sure yours is beautiful as well).

I noticed you're from England, with what your country did to the pit bull breed, why would you want to make aggressive shepherds and maybe risk that same thing happening to GSDs?
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
I noticed you're from England, with what your country did to the pit bull breed, why would you want to make aggressive shepherds and maybe risk that same thing happening to GSDs?
???????????? Let's not start this please. It just isn't kind and it doesn't help the cause.
She just asked for advice about her GSD and it seems pretty clear what everybody has agreed on to help her.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
???????????? Let's not start this please. It just isn't kind and it doesn't help the cause.
She just asked for advice about her GSD and it seems pretty clear what everybody has agreed on to help her.
Start what? I'm not sure you quite understand what I'm talking about.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think the OP will affirm that when the British Dangerous Dog Act was enacted the atmosphere was near hysterical. Any dog , and this still stands, can be seized and euthanized if it is out of control and appearing to be dangerous. In the beginning in 1991 there were cases where dogs were seized because they gave a passing pedestrian "a fright" - looked the wrong way or knit his brows. We were all signing petitions like mad in Ontario when then Attorney General Michael Bryant enacted his specific anti breed legislation. There was no telling where something will end once allowed to be enacted.
So bringing to attention the OPs British citizenship is not unkind or unfair. There are so many regulations , probably the most regulated country there is .
Only the most ideal temperament should be bred.
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

where are we getting so many "behaviourists" with this as advice, I mean cooky treating --
I know from my market contacts one lady took a correspondence course , no hands on experience other than the dogs she babysat during the day.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

disregard above -- WRONG THREAD --
Old 09-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
My German shepherd is 2 years old and i want to breed her but she is quite dog agressive, mostly because she's scared of other dogs, any advice?
Please do not breed this dog.

But try this on for a plan instead of breeding your dog:

You want puppies, you want to breed your bitch. But you can see there is a problem with this one. How about if you spend the next two years learning everything there is to know about breeding and raising dogs, the German shepherd dog breed, training dogs, grooming dogs, working dogs, herding dogs, nutrition.

At the same time, work with your dog. Work to overcome her fear-aggressiveness/dog aggression. Go to lots of classes with her. Go slow, and introduce her to new things calmly and at a distance and only a few in a week's time. As the months go by increase this little by little. Train her to be awesome. Awesome in obedience, and maybe agility, and maybe herding if you can. None of this is wasted. In fact, learning how to train a dog, working with a dog with issues, training a dog in a variety of venues will help you to support your future customers.

After two years, make a plan. Make a plan to step up your training with this dog, and to set yourself into a position where you can afford and house the breeding bitch of your dreams. Decide whether you want to go with one that is full grown, or if you want to gamble on a puppy from an excellent breeder and excellent producers. Learn pedigrees and the various lines of GSDs and decide what you like best.

You have a bitch now. I would like to suggest you dedicate yourself to the bitch you have and ten years from now, you will be in a position to get your foundation bitch. Not everyone can wait that long. But, remember that having two bitches can be a royal pain, so you need to have a housing situation where you can keep the two 100% separated if necessary, and if you intend to breed then next one it WILL be necessary to separate them 100% of the time while she is pregnant and while she has puppies.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.