Spaying GSDs - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If your household is such that it would be a an impossibility to keep a female in heat contained, spay her now, before her first heat, and save yourself the headache.

I have seen hundreds, possibly thousands of female dogs that were spayed before their first heat, seen them over the following years up to their lifetime, and none that I know have had health issues from being spayed before the first heat. Some folks like to talk about the risks, but to me (and to most other dog owners), the benefits of spay outweigh the risks. Especially for folks whose dogs are not into competition or serious work with their dogs.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vom Eisenherz View Post
Seriously? No one on this board is going to give this poor dog the benefit of her caring (or she wouldn't be asking!) owner knowing the information relating to all the proven dangers of early spaying?

I will.

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf

Canine Sports Productions: Early Spay-Neuter Considerations for the Canine Athlete

Annnd the rebuttal to the above.
http://www.columbusdogconnection.com...ebuttal%20.pdf

Spay now. She won't miss being a mama and you won't miss having 10 messy puppies to clean up after every hour. YEP every. single. hour.
And since cleanliness (or lack thereof) is an issue as well as lack of being able to socialize any puppies that may occur (which could lead to lifelong problems for them) then go ahead and make that appointment.

Another thing to keep in mind - I believe it would be far more detrimental for a dog to have a litter before she's 1yr. of age (which will occur, apparently) than it is to spay before first heat. Especially to a bitch who's family is unprepared to care for her and the puppies for at least 8 weeks.
Have you ever read craigslist and see "these 5 week old puppies are done nursing, come get them" type ads??? It's because once they are done nursing, mom's done keeping them clean and the family simply wants to be rid of the mess.

People really need to consider that not everyone can keep an intact bitch in heat safe from being bred before going all off on how "bad" it is to spay early. Early spay prevents as many problems as it supposedly causes - yes even cancers and health issues. It's a wash, essentially, and since it also prevents unwanted litters, I'd advocate for it every time.

Last edited by msvette2u; 08-10-2012 at 10:55 AM.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.