Want to become a breeder. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 01:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Want to become a breeder.

This is the only breed of dog that I like. I love training with Diesel and would like to continue taking care of more dogs. What are the proper steps I should take in order be able to achieve this.
Oscar101 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Prove that Diesel is breed worthy. Does he fit the standard for GSDs? Have an experience third party judge his conformation and temperament.
Get titles on him. SchH, obedience, tracking, herding, etc. Basically any type of title that can prove his working ability.
Once he turns two years old, get him health tested. At the very minimum, have his hips and elbows OFAd.

Study his pedigree extensively. Know pretty much everything you can learn about every dog in his pedigree. What kind of dogs they're known to produce, health issues, the kind of drive they tend to pass onto puppies, etc.

A good kennel is built on the bitches, so find a GOOD female, probably one that's already proven herself (not a puppy). Likely one that already has at least her hips cleared, has good drive and temperament, etc. The all-around GSD.

Then I'll just let the others come along, because I think my post is a bit scrambled and all over the place. Hopefully that'll be a good starting point for you, though.
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 01:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well he's the first gsd that I've had. He looks perfect to me. I know he will succeed in any class we take. He's barely 4 months and is already in a training program. What I really want to know is if there is a set written standard in which it states how to take care of the female when she becomes pregnant?
Old 07-03-2012, 03:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Is he AKC registered with a pedigree? If not, then don't breed him.

It's easy to say your dog looks perfect, when you're biased. I have a Pom, and even though I know he doesn't fit the standard, I still think he's perfect. He's a wonderful dog. Could probably make wonderful puppies. However, I know nothing of his background, and he has horrible conformation for a Pom.

If you want, take some photos of him stacked and put him in the critique section. A lot of people can tell a puppy's potential, as far as conformation goes, with a few good pics.
Here's a video on how to stack a GSD. Pretty much the same thing with a pup. (I wouldn't expect for him to be this cooperative when you try it, if you've never done it before).

Look at the flowchart on this page and follow it.
"Should I breed my dog?" Flowchart

The only reason anyone should ever breed their dog is to try and better the breed as a whole.

As far as I know, there's no 'set' standard for whelping pups. There are a lot of people on here who are knowledgeable in that area, but you can never EXPECT anything to go as planned. Things can go wrong and you might lose the mom and/or her puppies, rush her in for an emergency c-section, she may reject the puppies, forcing you to hand raise them, etc. etc.

Breeding is not something to be considered lightly.

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Last edited by Konotashi; 07-03-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

He is registered with the AKC. Also, I do have his pedigree. What should I be looking for in it? That's pretty much what I would like to learn about. What could happen in worst case scenarios.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Worst case scenarios? Here's a few....

During the actual breeding - if the female tries to run away or get away after they tie, she can rip the male's penis off.

During whelping - a puppy can be breached or stuck in the birth canal, blocking the way for all the other puppies. This can result in death of all puppies and the mom if she's not taken in ASAP for an emergency c-section.
Some dogs don't make good moms and will reject their puppies. Some may just walk away and refuse to feed them, others may attack and kill a few, or all of them.
Sometimes a female will have a false pregnancy and shows all signs of being pregnant - including weight gain - but will not have puppies.
Sometimes things can cause a pregnant female to absorb her puppies.

There's so much that can go wrong - it's near impossible to list them all here. Send Selzer a PM, since she's probably one of the more knowledgeable ones on what can go wrong.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Wow, that's some serious consequences. I believe I need to do extensive research in many different subject in order to maximize the odds of being successful. Thanks for all your input so far.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Refreshing!, nice posts Konotashi!
cliffson1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar101 View Post
Wow, that's some serious consequences. I believe I need to do extensive research in many different subject in order to maximize the odds of being successful. Thanks for all your input so far.
That is great!

There are GSD rescues in Colorado. You can get more experience with the breed, perhaps even take in a mom and pups, learn about screening potential owners, etc, all while helping dogs and the breed, by volunteering!
Old 07-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Great idea. Im going to locate a rescue and ask about volunteering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.