Want to become a breeder. - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #31 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar101 View Post
Anyways if anyone here is a Real breeder I would greatly like to hear YOUR opinio.
I am a real breeder. I have worked hard for years to learn all I can about German Shepherd Dogs, and I am still learning about bloodlines and types and training techniques, etc. And I have been involved with the dogs for 40+ years.

I have bred several AKC champions, many of whom were also titled in obedience, herding, agility, rally. I believe that training and titling are important because of what it teaches us about our dogs' temperaments. I have also bred 4 generations of OFA certified dogs. While I believe that temperament is most important, health ranks as a close second. I will take back a dog for any reason, and I am in contact with many of the buyers from litters years ago. This is the way I have a picture of what the perfect GSD should look like, act like, and be like, and this is how I breed my dogs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home of Ch Doll; U-CDx Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP OA AXJ(ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Natty; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 12:40 AM   #32 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Does anyone feel like sharing how they first got into breeding? Did you start with a mentor, maybe co-owing a dog with another breeder? Maybe spent so much time in the dog world it was just a natural progression? Just curious how you got from point A to B. I use to breed birds but it started by accident and I had to learn as I went.
Whiteshepherds is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #33 (permalink)

Considering all the info so far, I'm going to go to the GSD rescue and see what I can learn from them.
Oscar101 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

First, find a good German Shepherd book on the breed. Make sure it is a book that has depth so the history of the breed is in it. Some of the better breed books are by Willis, Hart, Strickland/Moses, Lanting, Goldbrecker, and Von Stephanitz.( I own them all) you really only need one at first and read the dang thing.
Second, go to American and German conformation shows,(you can also see obedience, rally, and sometimes agility at some of these shows), go to a or some Sch/IPO trials. Also, see if you can see some police and search & rescue dogs.
Talk to people at these places and observe their dogs, engage these people in dialogue about where their dogs came from and what they do with their dogs.
If you do things this way you will save yourself a lot of heartache. Why???
Because by having read the book, you will have baseline knowledge of what the breed is. What it should look like and how it should act. There are NO personal types of GS. As you visit the different venues you will be to see which ones resonate with what you have read what the breed should be. You will not be taken in by a lot of the BS that many breeders sell to justify what they breed. I can't tell you where you will find good representatives of the breed, but if you read one of those books you will be much better equipped to appreciate the real deal.
If you do the above things and stay true to what you have learned about the breed, you should be able to have a good feel for the breed.
Good Luck!
cliffson1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #35 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
Does anyone feel like sharing how they first got into breeding? Did you start with a mentor, maybe co-owing a dog with another breeder? Maybe spent so much time in the dog world it was just a natural progression? Just curious how you got from point A to B. I use to breed birds but it started by accident and I had to learn as I went.
This would make a very good thread of its own instead of being put in the middle of this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Personally, I get pretty scared when everyone is encouraged to breed only to improve the breed. Ick! What you think improves the breed, I might think ruins it. I think a lot of the problems in the breed today is that people tried to make their mark on the breed, in the process much has been sacrificed.
You don't think the breed needs improvement? And by that I mean bringing the GSD closer to the standard; what it is supposed to be. Not an insecure bundle of poor nerves, which we see so often in the breed. I would be happy to see someone "make a mark" by bringing back solid temperament.
Freestep is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #37 (permalink)

I think the phrase "improving the breed" just doesn't carry any weight any more. Tons of breeders advertise that and obviously aren't improving anything other than their own bank accounts. I don't really care how the dogs are marketed, the proof is in the pudding. Can the dogs walk through a downtown parade or firework show while ignoring the crowd and being gentle with kids? Are they courageous and protective? Can they perform demanding physical tasks in all sorts of weather conditions and terrain? These are things that can be observed and sometimes even measured without a breeder insisting they are "improving" the breed. I'm more interested in seeing what the dogs are doing and have accomplished.

Also one's "improvement" is another person's nightmare. Did the extreme sloping croup or rear angulation really improve show dogs?
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #38 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post

Also one's "improvement" is another person's nightmare. Did the extreme sloping croup or rear angulation really improve show dogs?
How is that "improvement"? Did that bring the GSD closer to the standard?

Of course anyone can say they are "improving" something when they are doing exactly the opposite. When I say "improving", I mean truly improving. Not exaggerating one or two features and throwing temperament out the window, as many show and sport breeders have done.
Freestep is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #39 (permalink)

But that proves my point. Everyone's idea of "improving" is different so what does that word actually mean?

Do a Google search....
Let me google that for you

Look at some of the results. I know for a fact that some of those are NOT improving the breed!
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #40 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
How is that "improvement"? Did that bring the GSD closer to the standard?

Of course anyone can say they are "improving" something when they are doing exactly the opposite. When I say "improving", I mean truly improving. Not exaggerating one or two features and throwing temperament out the window, as many show and sport breeders have done.
This is what I meant as well, improving by breeding closer to the standard- not someone's opinion of improving. If you don't have a goal of improving the breed- producing dogs that are great representations of the breed- and are breeding just to experience it with no real goal in mind, in my opinion that's irresponsible.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.