Want to become a breeder. - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
selzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denmark, Ohio
Posts: 25,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I disagree that it is irresponsible and wrong to breed for oneself. IMO that's one of the top reasons TO breed. How often on here are breeders lambasted for how many dogs they breed and sell but never hold back and train themselves? My pie-in-the-sky future goal is to earn a SchH3 (and all the other titles I do with my dogs) with a B-HOT dog. I couldn't really care less why other people breed or whether other people want me to breed or not. It's a free country. If you like my type of dog then you can probably get one and if not there are thousands of other breeders out there. I want to produce dogs that *I* feel are strong, healthy, correct, stable, courageous dogs so I can train them and exhibit them myself. The best breeders I have had the pleasure of meeting and spending time with are the ones that breed for themselves, when they are ready to carry on their bloodline and hold back a dog for their training.

Come on, on the most basic level *everyone* breeds for human satisfaction. That's why we have hundreds of years of domesticated animals, most of whom no longer perform duties required for our livelihood.
I guess that is my like button.

Personally, I get pretty scared when everyone is encouraged to breed only to improve the breed. Ick! What you think improves the breed, I might think ruins it. I think a lot of the problems in the breed today is that people tried to make their mark on the breed, in the process much has been sacrificed.
__________________
Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 18,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I guess that is my like button.

Personally, I get pretty scared when everyone is encouraged to breed only to improve the breed. Ick! What you think improves the breed, I might think ruins it. I think a lot of the problems in the breed today is that people tried to make their mark on the breed, in the process much has been sacrificed.
Yeah, plus what does it even mean? Are there people out there right now really "improving" the breed?
__________________
Coke (All-American 7/7/06)
Nikon (GSD 9/7/08)
Indy (All-American 5/10/12)
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 76
Default

Thanx for the support. These people are brainwashed by all the shelters out there. The shelters see dogs get put down everyday, so in order for that not to happen they try and tell everyone not to breed their pets. Although this might have some truth to it, it doesn't apply to everyone. I consider myself a responsible person. I'm not here for people to try and tell me what to do. I'm here for information on the breed.
Oscar101 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master Member
 
4TheDawgies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: KS
Posts: 998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I disagree that it is irresponsible and wrong to breed for oneself. IMO that's one of the top reasons TO breed. How often on here are breeders lambasted for how many dogs they breed and sell but never hold back and train themselves? My pie-in-the-sky future goal is to earn a SchH3 (and all the other titles I do with my dogs) with a B-HOT dog. I couldn't really care less why other people breed or whether other people want me to breed or not. It's a free country. If you like my type of dog then you can probably get one and if not there are thousands of other breeders out there. I want to produce dogs that *I* feel are strong, healthy, correct, stable, courageous dogs so I can train them and exhibit them myself. The best breeders I have had the pleasure of meeting and spending time with are the ones that breed for themselves, when they are ready to carry on their bloodline and hold back a dog for their training.

Come on, on the most basic level *everyone* breeds for human satisfaction. That's why we have hundreds of years of domesticated animals, most of whom no longer perform duties required for our livelihood.
Love it! Great post and I totally agree!

Those are exactly my goals. I want to breed dogs that I would be not only proud to call my own, but I actually do call them my own and title them. I have a blast with them and seeing other people enjoy their puppies makes it extra fun.

I hate the argument that a dog in a shelter dies when you breed because that puppy buyer will not rescue a dog. What's wrong with wanting to buy a dog with a proven history, who is less likely to have health problems, who is less likely to have an unstable temperament. I think buying a dog from a breeder to ensure you have a good temperament in a dog is a very reasonable thing to want. Especially when you have children in your home, or are less experienced to handle things like weak nerve, fear aggression, dog aggression, etc.

People who want that are not going to look in a shelter anyways so that dog that dies will die whether I breed it or liesje does.

I don't condone people breeding dogs willy nilly without being responsible. Health tests, temperament tests, proving the dogs ability, studying pedigrees, studying the history is all still very important. If you plan to market them as GSD's that is. I wouldn't be a happy camper if I bought a "GSD" who was a scardy cat you know?
__________________
"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."

Last edited by 4TheDawgies; 07-03-2012 at 10:36 PM.
4TheDawgies is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 3,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar101 View Post
Thanx for the support. These people are brainwashed by all the shelters out there. The shelters see dogs get put down everyday, so in order for that not to happen they try and tell everyone not to breed their pets. Although this might have some truth to it, it doesn't apply to everyone. I consider myself a responsible person. I'm not here for people to try and tell me what to do. I'm here for information on the breed.
Thanks, but I'm not brainwashed by shelters, I see it first hand. I volunteer and foster and see what dogs aren't saved. The shelter is not brainwashing me to say don't breed your "pet," I can think that for myself. Even just looking at Craigslist, you can see all the people breeding their purebred "pets" just for their personal satisfaction. I am not against breeding, but breeding just to experience it is, in my opinion, wrong.

Quote:
I hate the argument that a dog in a shelter dies when you breed because that puppy buyer will not rescue a dog. What's wrong with wanting to buy a dog with a proven history, who is less likely to have health problems, who is less likely to have an unstable temperament. I think buying a dog from a breeder to ensure you have a good temperament in a dog is a very reasonable thing to want. Especially when you have children in your home, or are less experienced to handle things like weak nerve, fear aggression, dog aggression, etc.

People who want that are not going to look in a shelter anyways so that dog that dies will die whether I breed it or liesje does.
This was absolutely, 100%, not my point about shelter dogs. My point was that there are thousands of people breeding just because- and there are way too many dogs in shelters that result from these types of breedings.
__________________
ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD


Last edited by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO; 07-03-2012 at 10:42 PM.
I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master Member
 
4TheDawgies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: KS
Posts: 998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO View Post
Thanks, but I'm not brainwashed by shelters, I see it first hand. I volunteer and foster and see what dogs aren't saved. The shelter is not brainwashing me to say don't breed your "pet," I can think that for myself. Even just looking at Craigslist, you can see all the people breeding their purebred "pets" just for their personal satisfaction. I am not against breeding, but breeding just to experience it is, in my opinion, wrong.
Yup that's why its important to do it responsibly. Neither me nor Liesje said we plan to do it because we want to experience it. Quite the contrary, I have seen her, and I know myself that we have been educating ourselves on the lines, structure, movement. We've been watching dogs in person and in videos and talking to experts. If we do it responsibly, learn as much as we can, health test, title, and have a goal in mind, then who are you or anyone else in America to judge and tell us otherwise?

I know for a fact MY dogs will not end up in a shelter because I take every precaution to avoid it. If I found out one of mine did end up in a rescue I would pay to get it out and keep it myself, fix any potential problems that were created, and potentially re home it.

If I take responsibility for my actions then I am not part of that problem.


Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO View Post
This was absolutely, 100%, not my point about shelter dogs. My point was that there are thousands of people breeding just because- and there are way too many dogs in shelters that result from these types of breedings.
I wasn't talking about you or your argument specifically
I was talking about the argument I stated
__________________
"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
4TheDawgies is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 76
Default

Anyways if anyone here is a Real breeder I would greatly like to hear YOUR opinio.
Oscar101 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #28 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 3,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TheDawgies View Post
Yup that's why its important to do it responsibly. Neither me nor Liesje said we plan to do it because we want to experience it. Quite the contrary, I have seen her, and I know myself that we have been educating ourselves on the lines, structure, movement. We've been watching dogs in person and in videos and talking to experts. If we do it responsibly, learn as much as we can, health test, title, and have a goal in mind, then who are you or anyone else in America to judge and tell us otherwise?

I know for a fact MY dogs will not end up in a shelter because I take every precaution to avoid it. If I found out one of mine did end up in a rescue I would pay to get it out and keep it myself, fix any potential problems that were created, and potentially re home it.

If I take responsibility for my actions then I am not part of that problem.




I wasn't talking about you or your argument specifically
I was talking about the argument I stated
????Being that you nor Liesje are the OP of this post, I was not referring to either of you breeding, I was talking about the OP. I never referred to either of you.
Since I was the only one who brought up shelter dogs, it seemed that it was in reference to my statement.
__________________
ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD


Last edited by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO; 07-03-2012 at 11:13 PM.
I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master Member
 
4TheDawgies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: KS
Posts: 998
Default

I know I am not the OP. I just like what Liesje said and had to comment on it and wanted to clarify what we meant. And I personally am not necessarily promoting, or encouraging, or supporting the OP breeding. I don't know anything about them so I don't feel its my place to judge. Only to educate.

I brought it up because your post reminded me of the argument that I was disagreeing with, that's all.
__________________
"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
4TheDawgies is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master Member
 
4TheDawgies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: KS
Posts: 998
Default

Oscar, where did you get your current puppy from? Are they a responsible breeder? If they are maybe you could consider working with them, helping them whelp a litter and learn about raising and training these dogs from them. If they aren't that kind of a breeder, you might want to reconsider breeding your do. If they haven't done the proper research on their lines, health, temperament etc. then just because your puppy ended up OK, doesn't mean the rest of the litter is. Learning the genetic health of the lines you are working with is a huge and long process.

If your puppy isn't breeding quality and you are determined to breed good dogs that are worth their weight in gold, then just take it as a learning experience and find a breeder you can trust, who is knowledgeable, who will mentor you. This is where you will learn everything. Everyone on the internet is a professional. Which ones actually know what they are talking about it a whole other group of people.
The knowledgeable ones are usually quiet. We have some phenomenal breeders right here on this board that are a wealth of knowledge. I suggest you do some homework and find a breeder who can mentor you and you will be well on your way to your goals.
__________________
"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
4TheDawgies is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:12 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com