Want to become a breeder. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

So glad you are taking the time to educate yourself Oscar! Keep an open mind and never stop learning!
"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
4TheDawgies is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Great job, everyone who posted in this thread.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Oscar, I am glad you're taking the time to re-think your decision to breed. There is already an over population of unwanted dogs. Tens of thousands of dogs are put down A DAY because there aren't enough homes. Are you willing to accept that some of your puppies would have the same fate? Or are you willing to accept that for every puppy purchased from a breeder, a dog in a shelter is put to death?

Do you realize that breeding a dog costs you thousands of dollars per litter, a price which you are not going to make back in the sales of the puppies?

Oscar, you and I are neighbors. I live near Denver as well. If you are interested in getting more involved in the breed, I would gladly help you. There are many rescues that need volunteers with training, socializing, and fosters. As well as that, Colorado has some amazing breed clubs and working dog clubs. I recommend getting yourself and your dog involved with those.
NEROtic is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Yea I was looking at German Shepherd Rescue of the Rockies. Do you know anything about them? Also I still want to breed my dog. He's barely 4 months so there's a long way to go. For right now It would be greatly appreciated if you could help me get involved with said groups.
Oscar101 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Don't EVER breed a dog that is not titled. This goes beyond registration. What does your dog have that makes him worth breeding? Can you prove it? These are the things you have to consider.

WHY do you want to breed your dog? Here are some valid reasons:
-He has great conformation. If that's the case, show him and get his CH title.
-He's a great working dog. If this is the case, get involved in a dog sport such as agility or schutzhund.

I haven't had any personal experience with them, but any time spent volunteering is good time spent.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

What I don't get is that I want to breed my dog for the satisfaction. The only concern I have is to produce healthy puppies. If I better the breed good if not, oh well. The only thing I want to do is educate my self in achieving best possible puppies. The only way I wouldn't breed my dog is if I find health problems in him or if his temperament changes. By the way I am going to try and get titles for him. Not so that I can breed him, but because of the fun it will be.
Oscar101 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

you don't breed dogs for human satisfaction. breed them
for the good of the dog. is your dog breed worthy? i think
that attitude "if i better the breed good if not, oh well" is totally
the wrong attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar101 View Post
What I don't get is that I want to breed my dog for the satisfaction. The only concern I have is to produce healthy puppies.

>>>> If I better the breed good if not, oh well. <<<<

The only thing I want to do is educate my self in achieving best possible puppies. The only way I wouldn't breed my dog is if I find health problems in him or if his temperament changes. By the way I am going to try and get titles for him. Not so that I can breed him, but because of the fun it will be.
doggiedad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

I agree with the above. It's simply irresponsible to breed any animal for nothing other than your own wants and desires.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar101 View Post
What I don't get is that I want to breed my dog for the satisfaction. The only concern I have is to produce healthy puppies. If I better the breed good if not, oh well. The only thing I want to do is educate my self in achieving best possible puppies. The only way I wouldn't breed my dog is if I find health problems in him or if his temperament changes. By the way I am going to try and get titles for him. Not so that I can breed him, but because of the fun it will be.

In my opinion, this is a very selfish statement. There are thousands of GSDs in shelters, many of which will get put to sleep - the ONLY valid reason to breed is to better the GSD breed.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #20 (permalink)

I disagree that it is irresponsible and wrong to breed for oneself. IMO that's one of the top reasons TO breed. How often on here are breeders lambasted for how many dogs they breed and sell but never hold back and train themselves? My pie-in-the-sky future goal is to earn a SchH3 (and all the other titles I do with my dogs) with a B-HOT dog. I couldn't really care less why other people breed or whether other people want me to breed or not. It's a free country. If you like my type of dog then you can probably get one and if not there are thousands of other breeders out there. I want to produce dogs that *I* feel are strong, healthy, correct, stable, courageous dogs so I can train them and exhibit them myself. The best breeders I have had the pleasure of meeting and spending time with are the ones that breed for themselves, when they are ready to carry on their bloodline and hold back a dog for their training.

Come on, on the most basic level *everyone* breeds for human satisfaction. That's why we have hundreds of years of domesticated animals, most of whom no longer perform duties required for our livelihood.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.