Breeding aspiration hesitation - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 11:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think the only issue I have with your plan is that you're thinking too much about the market you'd sell your pups to rather than the actual dog/breed itself. When you breed, you should worry more about people searching you out for your dogs because of something special, and not just making dogs that would be good for everyone.

And yes, if that is truly the lines the OP is referring to, I'm not too sure where the OP got their information. I'm from Eastern Europe and my family is Russian, a GERMAN Shepherd is much more respected than the Russian version, even in Russia. Everyone knows that the German one is smarter, sharper, and easier to train. The Russian line is bigger, less sensitive to the handler, and from what I've heard closer to American lines than working lines.

Last edited by martemchik; 06-20-2012 at 11:45 PM.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 02:25 AM   #22 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I am kind of curious as to what a Russian GSD actually is. I did some googling and every one I found looked like modern German Showlines.
Nancy, we had a thread about Russian GSDs not long time ago http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-training.html .
Old 06-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Your basic premise about DDR/Czech dogs is faulty in terms of drive and being good pets. Probably 95 percent of all East/Czech dogs in America live in pet homes. You can see that from the replies of people who own and breed these dogs. The dogs you see in Sch clubs are probably 1percent of these dogs in the country. You can't start a breeding program from faulty premises and good come from it.
I would do more training and traveling to see much more to base your opinions on.
Good Luck
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VonKromeHaus

My West German Working line dog is fairly extreme in drive. However, he settles nicely in the house. I worked my butt off to train an off switch in my dog as he didn't settle naturally like some dogs do. But he is still an excellent dog in the house. I know of a lot of nicely bred working dogs that live in active pet homes and think a breeding program needs more to it than just wanting to produce active pets.
VonKromeHaus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
Your basic premise about DDR/Czech dogs is faulty in terms of drive and being good pets. Probably 95 percent of all East/Czech dogs in America live in pet homes.
Mine's an awesome pet. We had to drop out of agility due to life issues and he's taking it in stride. Right now he's passed out on the couch.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #26 (permalink)

Hi Sarah, I appreciate your enthusiasm but, having lived with a dog of east german lines for the last three years, I disagree with your premise. My dog has no shortage of drive and can - and gladly will - go all day long. However, she is also a great house dog and terrific with my kids. Moreover, I have never felt like I have to "devote half my life" to her care, training, etc. In fairness, I have never really thought of it this way. Sure there is time spent on training, etc. However, for the most part, she is accounted for and included in just about everything we, as an active family do whether it be hiking, swimming, off-roading, going to the park, etc. In short, at least with my family, our lives do not and need not revolve around the dog; rather, the dog is part of our lives and a happy participant in whatever it is we are doing. Then again, some would probably think of us as dog geeks . . . .
jmdjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
I think the only issue I have with your plan is that you're thinking too much about the market you'd sell your pups to rather than the actual dog/breed itself.
That's what I was going to say. You don't breed dogs to fit the buyer's market. You breed dogs to the breed standard. WORKING dogs are meant to work, and you don't water that down in order to please the majority.

GSDs are not meant to be a pet for everyone, IMO. It takes a certain type of person to successfully raise, train, and manage a working dog.

If you're talking about breeding dogs that have working ability, yet have an "off" switch, that can understand how to relax when it is appropriate, and are stable enough to be good all-around companion dogs... they already exist. If you want to start a breeding program with those dogs, and focus on this type of working temperament rather that an extreme "sport" temperament, then good!
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
GSDs are not meant to be a pet for everyone, IMO. It takes a certain type of person to successfully raise, train, and manage a working dog.

Instead of more breeders, right now we probably need more rescues who can pull, rehab and place responsibly our breed!
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #29 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
Your basic premise about DDR/Czech dogs is faulty in terms of drive and being good pets. Probably 95 percent of all East/Czech dogs in America live in pet homes. You can see that from the replies of people who own and breed these dogs. The dogs you see in Sch clubs are probably 1percent of these dogs in the country. You can't start a breeding program from faulty premises and good come from it.
I would do more training and traveling to see much more to base your opinions on.
Good Luck
I agree with this.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.