Breeding Contracts - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

@ Castlemaid.....my post was not directed at the OP, my post was directed at people's criteria for what a reputable breeder should always do....and I would guess they are experienced people or they wouldn't be giving this advice....I didn't comment because this has been discussed before and I don't want to sidetrack the topic. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Last edited by cliffson1; 05-17-2012 at 06:21 PM.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Honest questions follow, please read with an open mind. The GSD is the #2 most popular breed out there in the US and probably the most popular worldwide. Probably half of those dogs do not meet the standard for the GSD. I'm not talking nitpicky details, more like fearful, no aggression, all the wrong aggression, poor health, weak nerves, some are disasters and some decent enough pets and some are management cases. A lot of them come from litters where someone's goal is just one or two litters. A lot come from puppy mills. Some come from breeders who only consider physical appearance or sport ability and dang all the rest. Many posts on this forum are dedicated to cleaning up the messes in the breed. What to do with DM, hip dysplasia, allergies, SIBO, etc? How to socialize? My dog is aggressive, help? My dog is scared of everything, help?

Someone could have a really great dog, breed it to another really great dog, and due to lack of understanding of pedigrees, end up with nightmares that either need to be in expert homes or be euthanized. Or can end up with most of the litter affected with varying degrees of genetic hip dysplasia.

Having said all that? Why breed your female? This is to say nothing of the fact that she can die on the table during an emergency C-section because the vet missed a stuck pup and too much time passed. What does her pedigree have to offer the breed? What about herself- what has been done to confirm she is an excellent representative of the breed? What lines should she be matched with and what lines should be avoided? Are you set up to keep pups if they do not sell or are returned?

Coonhounds are probably easier- if they can run and tree and be good at it, they will likely make more good, sound treeing dogs (if it won't work, don't bother). GSDs have so many factors to think about- nerve, aggression, genetic obedience, clearheadedness, tracking ability, herding ability, defense, seriousness, prey, health, soundness, and then finally structure and appearance. These are all things to consider before jumping in and I do encourage you to start learning. This forum has excellent resources and people who are unbelievably knowledgeable about breeding GSDs.

Training @ The Canine Center - St Cloud, FL
"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz

Last edited by DianaM; 05-17-2012 at 06:34 PM.
DianaM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
@ Castlemaid.....my post was not directed at the OP, my post was directed at people's criteria for what a reputable breeder should always do....and I would guess they are experienced people or they wouldn't be giving this advice....I didn't comment because this has been discussed before and I don't want to sidetrack the topic. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Mmmyeah, I think I did a double take and pretty much disagreed with all of that particular post as well!
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I started out wanting a breeder who offered great contracts and then I realized why bother? I'd keep the pup regardless. It is a living critter I have welcomed into my home as a member of the family. I'd stack my deck by going with a breeder who has a great deal of knowledge in breed genetics. Two families with low ZWs will likely produce pups with decent hips. If not, that's life and there are no guarantees in life.

Training @ The Canine Center - St Cloud, FL
"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
DianaM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

wow thanks! It was just something that I was thinking about if I was to ever breed my dog but I wouldn't breed her without her evaluated and tested and have good results. I don't want to have pups that are having temperment, health, etc problems. And if they ever would and the owner couldn't do anything for them I would be willing to give them a home or try to find them a home that they would fit.
summercricks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

I agree with Liesje and Cliff. From a purchaser's perspective I do not really care about a warranty. I do care about the contract to the extent it imposes obligations and restrictions on me. For instance, I have seen contracts that purport to require the feeding of particular food. Huh? As a matter of principle, I personally do not like limited registrations although, for me, I do not consider it a disqualifier because it really does not impact me.

I also disagree with the notion that: "most responsible homes will expect one in this day and age. And when they can go 10 minutes away and probably find a breeder that offers one, you have to ask yourself why would they pick your puppies?" I would like to think that most responsible homes would make their decision based upon an evaluation of who the breeder is, what the breeder has, what the breeder has produced, etc. with the understanding that they are buying a living, breathing being for which there really are no guarantees - not the existence of a piece of paper.
jmdjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

This is a great subject. I bought my pup-Zore from educatiing myself on line and getting on the phone. I ended up getting Zore from a well known GSD breeder. His gene pool is on top the food chain. However I understand that does not guarantee great litters. (IF) I was to breed Zore I think the pathway I would take is to contact a few well known GSD breeders and ask alot of qualifying questions-a learning curve if you will. Take some of the guess work out of it. If they would accept Zore, in turn for Zore's service I would like one of the puppies for my sister. That's the only reason I would breed Zore. Prior to Zore all my other GSD were girls and I had them spayed.
stoli2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.