How do you know you are ready to get a possible foundation female? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #31 (permalink)
Elite Member

not a breeder but a buyer here and from my limited knowledge I can't even stress how important a foundation female is. Jinx is the 10th litter that came from the foundation female (I believe) not that every little came directly from her but she had a litter they kept one back etc.. but it's still her genetics running through them and there are traits of hers seen consistently through out the litters so please keep that in mind in how important that first female is in your breeding program because 10+ litters later her traits are going to come through good or bad.
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #32 (permalink)

Huskies are a racing/endurance breed. Have you looked into skijoring/bikejoring/dog-sledding/carting?
ShoshanaRVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #33 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I was looking for a foundation female from the very first GSD I ever purchased. When I was working my first GSD, Tara, I decided I was not ready and not knowledgeable enough about the breed. Then it took me a number of years to find a female that was suitable after Tara. When I got Tara, though, I had already titled another dog and had done extensive research on the breed. I had people that gave me some good direction in what to look for in a GSD even if they were not GSD people themselves. I didn't jump into this cold turkey.

Personally I would wait until you are out of school and settled to even think about breeding, but that doesn't mean you have to wait to get a dog and start handling and training. Maybe a co-ownership might work where you work with a breeder. Could be a way to get your feet wet and to gain experience until you are ready to venture out on your own.

Don't be in a hurry. You have a lifetime to breed.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #34 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashadog View Post
So maybe this is a silly question but how many of you quality breeders actually set out to breed GSD's before you got your first GSD? Or made it a goal to breed GSD's? Or was it more something you "fell into" by way getting deeply involved in sport and show and years of having quality, well bred dogs?
I actually wanted to breed GSD long before I ever owned one. I already bred horses so breeding was sort of natural for me. It was experience and my involvement with the breed that kept me from breeding until I had been in the breed for many many years. The more involved I became the more I realized I needed to learn. I was lucky in that I started out with a very good dog too.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.