How do you know you are ready to get a possible foundation female? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #21 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
Honestly at this moment in my life I don't know.

Things just took a turn for the worst in my career. Even if I get accepted into this associate's program, I no longer have the funds to complete it or even start it. I just found out I have exhausted my financial aid.

Dogs are the last thing I want to think about. I'll have plenty of time to get a dog as a pet or breed. I hate waiting, but it's better than going out and getting dog and struggling.

I'll just let this thread die, because it's going to be a while before I think of dogs for a while.
GSD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I think it important for the human to have a solid foundation in the breed, before looking for foundation stock to breed. That means getting out around dogs, networking with people, and getting involved in training, competing, showing, or whatever is appropriate for the breed and bloodline you decide on. There are ways to get involved without owning a dog yourself. And of course there are ways to get involved with your own dog, which need not be a foundation dog (and probably shouldn't be) but rather a good learning dog.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #23 (permalink)

I think if you're not sure how you will know, to spend more time with dogs. You can't know when you've found the bitch you want until you know what YOU are looking for. Does that make sense? We can't tell you what traits to look for, what lines, what kennels...there are so many options that YOU will have to weed out for yourself what YOU like in a dog and how to produce it. I'm just saying this as someone in a similar place. I am not making a ten year plan or anything like that, but I am open to the possibility of breeding my own dogs. I get plenty of enjoyment training my dogs, but someday it would be satisfying to have the accomplishment of training and titling a B-HOT dog. I don't know enough yet to even begin looking for such a female.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master Member

So maybe this is a silly question but how many of you quality breeders actually set out to breed GSD's before you got your first GSD? Or made it a goal to breed GSD's? Or was it more something you "fell into" by way getting deeply involved in sport and show and years of having quality, well bred dogs?

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000
Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007
Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
sashadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #25 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I think if you're not sure how you will know, to spend more time with dogs. You can't know when you've found the bitch you want until you know what YOU are looking for. Does that make sense? We can't tell you what traits to look for, what lines, what kennels...there are so many options that YOU will have to weed out for yourself what YOU like in a dog and how to produce it. I'm just saying this as someone in a similar place. I am not making a ten year plan or anything like that, but I am open to the possibility of breeding my own dogs. I get plenty of enjoyment training my dogs, but someday it would be satisfying to have the accomplishment of training and titling a B-HOT dog. I don't know enough yet to even begin looking for such a female.
I appreciate everyone's advice, but I think I didn't word the question right.

I was asking about when you are ready, like what amount of money, what kind of living situation, where you are in your career and etc.

I wasn't talking about when you are ready in regards to the breeding program, but what state things outside the breeding program are. I hope that makes sense.
GSD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashadog View Post
So maybe this is a silly question but how many of you quality breeders actually set out to breed GSD's before you got your first GSD? Or made it a goal to breed GSD's? Or was it more something you "fell into" by way getting deeply involved in sport and show and years of having quality, well bred dogs?
I've always wondered that about you folks who breed... was it your lifelong dream, ever since childhood, to raise GSDs? Or is it something you stumbled onto?

When I was a kid, I thought I wanted to be a dog breeder... then I learned about everything it takes to do it the right way. I learned about the pet overpopulation issues in this country, which makes things ethically complicated. I realized I just didn't have the temperament to be a breeder. Kinda the same reason I didn't have children. But just like I'm glad OTHER people have children, I'm glad other people have chosen to breed quality dogs in a responsible and ethical way.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashadog View Post
Funny, I was about to open a thread with this same question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD Fan View Post

I was asking about when you are ready, like what amount of money, what kind of living situation, where you are in your career and etc.

I wasn't talking about when you are ready in regards to the breeding program, but what state things outside the breeding program are. I hope that makes sense.
Still, and if the question don't bother you, I keep being curious... what is in breeding that makes it a goal on itself for you? I'm trying to understand why so many people came here asking how to become breeders even after owning GSDs. I know that for me it is not that big of a taboo as for so many here, but I'd consider breeding if I get the right dog and not the other way around.
Catu's Pack
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD Fan View Post

But that's going to be worlds of different depending on who you ask. I live very comfortably with three large dogs in a small house on a 135'x44' lot in the city. Other people think an 1800sq ft house on 1 acre in the suburbs is not enough space for adding a second dog.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #29 (permalink)
Elite Member

Not a breeder, but someone will just 3 more months of dog owning experience than you. Honestly, owning even a working breed large COMPANION dog costs alot of money and time. The financial and human resources dedicated to your dogs can only increase with how committed and dedicated you are to your canines.

I'm a student now with fairly stable student awards and loans, and raising puppy is stretching funds. She gets pretty basic care: $100 on food a month, some individual training, a class, insurance, treats, and very few toys. I can't go for as many individual training sessions as I would like because I don't have the time or the money. I can't buy every toy I want because I don't have the money....you get the point.

So I would say, as a student, you can start, but you'll be limited in what you can do with your dogs unless you had 0 financial concerns. From the sounds of it, you're just planning to show your dogs. But as a first time dog owner, you'll probably need a bit of help with training and obedience before you have a LIVABLE and obedient dog that you can take anywhere, never mind show. Food and toys are cheap...training is $$$$$$.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

FOUNDATION is everything. It stems from knowledge, learning, experience and the dogs themselves.
There are many disappointments and road blocks....but any *future* good breeder will experience their fair share.
It takes TIME......and building your foundation, should not have an *expiration date* attached....
Breeding good dogs is not easy....and there are disappointments (or can be) from the beginning until the final whelp...
robinhuerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.