How do you know you are ready to get a possible foundation female? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 12:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You do realize why we are all approaching your question from the standpoint of breeding GSDs....? Ask on a GSD forum...get GSD answers.
Perhaps a good Siberian Husky forum will be better able to help you... I know a couple of people on here have Huskies as well, but "Husky people" might know more.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 03:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

You do know that Sibes are demon dogs from Hades, right??? Absolute, unmitigated, relentless all out HECK. My heart & sould dog was a Sibe. As was Ruby Tuesday. I do love them. I may someday foster them. I'm not sure I'll ever choose to own one again. They escape, roam, prey, escape, disobey, escape, prey & ESCAPE some more. Even the experienced Husky breeders & rescues I talked to had escape problems. I had breeders swear their Sibes picked locks.

Ruby came to us b/c a Good Samaritan picked her up on I-80 West dodging traffic only to discover that every rescue she contacted refused to take her. All of 'em suggested she keep her. When she protested that keeping her was impossible they suggested she at least try. She was dumbfounded & read me the riot act on Husky rescue vs Irish Wolfhound rescue. I pointed out that EVERY IW had a suitable home waiting while the Sibe rescues were full up & overwhelmed...Complicated by the fact that most were re-homed due to escapist tendencies &/or extreme predation. New homes must be chosen with exquisite care or the re-homed dog will only fail again & again & again. All for being a Husky.

They're lovely dogs. Beautifully balanced, graceful, lithe, athletic, powerful, comely, uber smart, charming, cheerful, clever, resourceful & utter, absolute, unmitgated HECK.

(Heck lacks the appropriate ring but I otherwise I get asterics. Now I KNOW this site has children <presumably teens or older adolescents> but surely even they can handle *gasp* the raw, unadulterated form of h*e*c*k...)
Forgive my little rant...But Sheesh.Lord.A.Mercy.Almighty...Just seems stoopid
RubyTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #13 (permalink)

I think you'll be ready when you go to as many dog shows (all varieties) watch and learn. When you find a breeder who is willing to mentor you. It's great to do all the book work, but getting out there and getting hands on experience as well as a really good mentor to guide you is the way to go.

I think you'll find even the seasoned breeders are always learning by experience as well.

Honestly, and I don't mean to be harsh, but I think you've only been to one gsd show, met a few dogs? The sibe you had only for a couple months so that's really your only experience with having a sibe? You need 'hands' on and find a mentor. Real life experience is more 'teaching' than reading about it.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I think you'll be ready when you go to as many dog shows (all varieties) watch and learn. When you find a breeder who is willing to mentor you. It's great to do all the book work, but getting out there and getting hands on experience as well as a really good mentor to guide you is the way to go.

I think you'll find even the seasoned breeders are always learning by experience as well.

Honestly, and I don't mean to be harsh, but I think you've only been to one gsd show, met a few dogs? The sibe you had only for a couple months so that's really your only experience with having a sibe? You need 'hands' on and find a mentor. Real life experience is more 'teaching' than reading about it.
Well, it was an dog show. It was more than just GSDs there.

Yes, Lucy was my only experience with siberians. So yes, I do need more hands on experience, but I have a mentor. He's been my mentor for almost a year.
GSD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
You do know that Sibes are demon dogs from Hades, right??? Absolute, unmitigated, relentless all out HECK. My heart & sould dog was a Sibe. As was Ruby Tuesday. I do love them. I may someday foster them. I'm not sure I'll ever choose to own one again. They escape, roam, prey, escape, disobey, escape, prey & ESCAPE some more. Even the experienced Husky breeders & rescues I talked to had escape problems. I had breeders swear their Sibes picked locks.

Ruby came to us b/c a Good Samaritan picked her up on I-80 West dodging traffic only to discover that every rescue she contacted refused to take her. All of 'em suggested she keep her. When she protested that keeping her was impossible they suggested she at least try. She was dumbfounded & read me the riot act on Husky rescue vs Irish Wolfhound rescue. I pointed out that EVERY IW had a suitable home waiting while the Sibe rescues were full up & overwhelmed...Complicated by the fact that most were re-homed due to escapist tendencies &/or extreme predation. New homes must be chosen with exquisite care or the re-homed dog will only fail again & again & again. All for being a Husky.

They're lovely dogs. Beautifully balanced, graceful, lithe, athletic, powerful, comely, uber smart, charming, cheerful, clever, resourceful & utter, absolute, unmitgated HECK.

(Heck lacks the appropriate ring but I otherwise I get asterics. Now I KNOW this site has children <presumably teens or older adolescents> but surely even they can handle *gasp* the raw, unadulterated form of h*e*c*k...)
Forgive my little rant...But Sheesh.Lord.A.Mercy.Almighty...Just seems stoopid
And some of that is people just don't know what they're getting into. All they see is looks, but they ignore the faults until they tear up a couch.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
You do realize why we are all approaching your question from the standpoint of breeding GSDs....? Ask on a GSD forum...get GSD answers.
Perhaps a good Siberian Husky forum will be better able to help you... I know a couple of people on here have Huskies as well, but "Husky people" might know more.
A lot of husky forums don't have many active users. It's hard to find a husky forum that's really active.

If I ever make another Siberian thread, then I will just post it in the Chat Room.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

you don't need to worry that your selected female is or has the foundation , YOU need to have the foundation and that comes through experience. You need to know the blueprint of what you are trying to build - that is the only way to know what foundation you have .

Realistically you may trial and error more than one female , more than one combination of lines. You need to know what it is that you want to produce , recognize when you are NEAR and when you HAVE it . See - that is why one female appointed with "foundation" or best in titles, wins , conformation , may not produce what you want .

It is not even the best of the best of the best that will produce . No room to go anywhere .

When you have a litter you have to evaluate the success and quality of the litter over all , which you can not do until they are adults. Breeding is a lot of waiting in the bushes and observing , keeping mental notes. Old time dog-man saying is "now that WAS a good dog" , you only really appreciate the specialness towards the end when you review the progeny .

You move your agenda forward through the progeny that approximate and exceed your expectations.

You don't throw the baby out with the bath water .
You have to be very honest with yourself , critical , knowing how things have to be fine tuned , eliminated, brought back to preserve.

Then , the other half of the equation is following and understanding the males that you are using .
Since breeding involves repetitive use of family lines , as line or familial breeding then you need to thoroughly know the power of these genetics , good and bad , know when a combination is beneficial or trouble ahead.
Two good dogs , lines, could be great - but with other combinations, not thrown together .

Many breeders don't build on anything . Each breeding is a brand new experiment , single generation only.

What do Siberian breeders attempt to produce ? Is it a look , colour pattern, show structure ?
What is it that you want to do ?

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

I think you need to avoid looking at the surface and quit digging in a hole that only goes so far.
Finding out when you are ready for a foundation female is just the tip of othe iceberg if that. You need to learn more about what you want to produce, why you want to produce it, how you intend to produce it. Research similar breeding programs make note of what you like and don't like in theirs. How you plan to continue that or improve upon. Find a mentor who can answer all of these questions for you. Get multiple mentors, just one is likely to have many biases and try and steer you in their direction entirely. If their direction is not one you want to go entirely then learn how to stand on your own and use the good advice and hold onto the advice you may need for later.

A mentor is not just someone who tells you what to do when your female goes into labor or whether the conformation of your dog is adequate, a mentor is someone who can tell you blood lines, who can share insight into individual dogs, who themselves have found success in a similar manner to which you want to continue.

You should be less concerned about when you can do all of these things. That should be the least of your worries. If all you are concerned about is when you can breed and raise that first litter then you are in this for the wrong reasons. You shouldn't be in breeding just to breed.
Breeding is about wanting to improve the breed. It should have a goal and purpose. That purpose should be actively worked for. The breeders I choose to respect are the ones who breed for themselves. To keep one of their own to train and title and show themselves. The ones who have a goal and because that goal is set and believed in 100% by themselves they work very hard to achieve it. You are your harshest critic and when you breed for yourself you will have an easier time criticizing what you need to so you can accept the faults and work to improve them.

I think you need to take a very large step back. Get a dog from a breeder you respect. Learn through that dog, accept that dogs quirks, faults, and strengths. Work with that dog for a long time, in different avenues, learn that dog inside and out. Then when you're ready do it all over again. Focus more on learning about individual dogs, bloodlines, and how they all work and mesh together. Learn your breed before you try to jump in with a foundation female. Where you live when you acquire your foundation should be the last thing on your list..
"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
4TheDawgies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

yeah, 4TheDawgies .

When you are talking foundation you are looking toward a 10 year program , minimum, of dedication and involvement. YOU the breeder have to have some experience because those getting your pups will look to you for support and advice .
Anything less than this , without a long term intelligent, thought out approach , is just breeding for a market .

4TheDawgies said " You are your harshest critic and when you breed for yourself you will have an easier time criticizing what you need to so you can accept the faults and work to improve them. "
If you can not be critical and analytical of your own stock , then you will slide the slippery slope into the pit and then have real trouble getting a foothold again. --- or quit out of discouragement.

Still want to?

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I believe your first foundation bitch would be co-owned also. At least if you were to do it the right way. You would get her from a breeder that would really like to keep her for the future but can't for certain reasons. They trust you enough to know you will work the dog and show the dog and therefor you become co-owners. At our young age, we have no idea what to even look for in a foundation bitch of ANY breed. And no, GSDs are exactly the same. A good breeder can spot the best dogs for shows in the first month. I couldn't tell you what to look for for the life of me, but they can. You really need to be close to a breeder for them to tell you those things, and I don't think your first dog of any breed will allow you to be that close. You have to show that person that you are committed, and until you title that first dog and go through everything it takes, you haven't shown anything.

I don't want you to take this next statement the wrong way, but right now your dog experience consists of having a husky for 2-3 months that you ended up re-homing, and many people won't accept that as being committed. You have to think of what that breeder is trusting you with and they can't have any reason to doubt that you will have this dog for its whole entire life.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.