question about studding... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default question about studding...

Hi.

I just purchased a german Shepherd from my friend's dad and he said that he had 2 people who wanted to breed with him. He is an import bred motherfrom Czech Republic, father from Germany. His father is a current working K-9 narcotics dog. Zeus (my dog) is a trained narcotics dog and has an amazing disposition. Since he is an import bred he does not have papers, according to what I was told.

I do want to stud him but I want to make sure I am going about it the right way. I am seting up a vet appointment for him next week, just to go over everything with my vet. Can anyone give me a little insight as to what I should do/get done before I list him for studding? He is not my first GSD, but he is the first I am planning on studding. Thanks for the help!
frpringle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

OFA hips and elbows at an absolute minimum. You should also have him titled in something (preferably schutzhund) prior to breeding.

Take a look at this flow chart:

Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Foreign bred dogs absolutely have "paperwork".....
Before you think of breeding your dog....you should locate his foreign pedigree.
robinhuerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frpringle View Post
I just purchased a german Shepherd from my friend's dad and he said that he had 2 people who wanted to breed with him.
Pretty sure that's illegal in most states.

Imports absolutely do come with papers. "Mother from Czech, father from Germany" isn't enough. You'll want to find his pedigree to figure out what the bloodlines look like, no family history of hip/elbow or other genetic issues, and to simply make sure you're not breeding him to a close relative, and you are breeding him to bitches of compatible bloodlines. In addition you'll want to get hip and elbow certifications.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

oh oh......
wyominggrandma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

That's why I was checking. I thought that he should have something. I know Jeff said he already had his hips/elbows checked b/c he was training him to be his next working dog. I just e-mailed him and told him I needed the pedigree and any documents of tests that were one so I could get him registered and go about breeding him the proper way.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Pretty sure that's illegal in most states.

Imports absolutely do come with papers. "Mother from Czech, father from Germany" isn't enough. You'll want to find his pedigree to figure out what the bloodlines look like, no family history of hip/elbow or other genetic issues, and to simply make sure you're not breeding him to a close relative, and you are breeding him to bitches of compatible bloodlines. In addition you'll want to get hip and elbow certifications.

haha thats gross... Anyway, I was told he had already been tested because he was supposed to be working as the new K-9 unit, but he didn't have the drive. I just e-mailed the guy and asked for the paperwork and any records plus the pedigree so I could get him registered and make sure I was doing everything legit and not just breeding him with who ever. Thanks for the info and humor haha
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Why do you want to stud him out?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

So what would be the point of breeding a dog that did not have the drive to be working with a K9 unit?

There are more than enough puppies coming from litters bred with parents who "meet the grade" who don't have the drive or temperament to work but make nice pets. Kind of like your dog.

There is absolutely no shortage of excellent working Czech, West German lined dogs in this country.

I would consider enjoying the dog and not facing the possible issues that come from breeding. (Infections, injury, etc.)

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Why do you want to stud him out?

When I got him, I was told there are already 2 people lined up to breed their bitches with him, and Im fine with that, I just wanted to make sure that I don't just breed him to breed him. I want to make sure these people are registered and everything too. I just got him so I wanted to make sure that if I did breed him I was going about it the right way. I have a English Bulldog that is prepared and will be studded for the first time next month, but he was already all set up when we got him and so I'm a little lost as to what to do with an unregistered GSD that is supposed to be studded to 2 people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.