question about studding... - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDGunner View Post
And exactly what is the OP learning if he is met with hostility towards his intended breeding?
There are tactful ways to dissuade someone from breeding. People can be too judgmental, too fast. Some jumped on the "how dare you breed" bandwagon before all the facts were known. Even so much as questioning his motives ($$$).
He came here to get advice. If it turns out his dog isn't breed worthy, then so be it, but the most you can do is educate.
Seriously, is that too much to ask?
Exactly!

I have not seen the OP being upset by us asking questions... they seem to REALLY want to know if this is a good idea or not. They have NO IDEA if this is whats right so they wants to know and ARE ASKING. Saying that if you arent a professional they shouldn't breed or saying that its money motivated (before any such evidence has been established) is just too harsh.

The OP is right, you have to start somewhere and from what I can tell they have been completely open and honest about his situation and wanting information.

If you think something even if its negative you could ask, it is the money that motivates you? What is your experience with the dogs etc and wait to see the responses. Jumping to conclusions is just plain wrong.
Narny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #32 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narny View Post

I have not seen the OP being upset by us asking questions...
I beg to differ.
|
V

Quote:
Originally Posted by frpringle View Post
WOW... well thank you to the people who were helpful with their insights and gave good direction. To those who thought it was important to question my integrity when I am trying to make sure I am doing things legitimately, please remember this... you are the people who force others to breed "backyard" as they call it. Your comments are not helpful, yet frustrating. People on here are looking for advice, not a lecture about "leaving it to the pros". Those people had to start somewhere too. Why I want to breed my dog is my business and not for you to judge. IF I decide to breed either of my dogs, I will only be doing it the proper way, which is what I was looking for some insight on here for. I have no intention of breeding crap dogs, but I would like to know if mine is good for breeding. IF I go through the process, and find out my dog is a not quality for breeding then I do not have to breed him, that is fine. However if he is good quality and I can breed him, it would just be nice to know what all is required to stud him out so we have the option if that is what we decide to do. From now on, I will go directly to a local breeder for advice and not look on here for advice from people who probably are not qualified to give such advice. Thank again to those who were helpful. I do not need any further advice from this online forum.
Nikki (Polydactyl kitty) 6/15/07

~ Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started ~
http://www.youtube.com/GSDGunner
GSDGunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDGunner View Post
I beg to differ.
|
V

Ah yes, I read that... I think I figured most of that was because they felt jumped on. My mistake. I shouldnt assume either lol!
Narny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

Quite frankly, it probably isn't the best place to ask advice, for quite a few reasons.
This forum is not the be-all and end-all of what is going to happen (or not happen).

He needs to go find and hang around breeders and meet them in real life, good breeders, not the kind who'd breed their bitch to an untested, untitled wash-out from the PD.

If I was seriously considering breeding any of my dogs, or becoming a breeder, the last place I'd ask advice is an internet forum. I'd naturally start w/a good breeder and mentor under them and attend every show and competition in my region, for starters.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #35 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Do a brucellosis test on him, and require it for any female that wants to breed to him. Brucelloses or Brucella is usually sexually transmitted. It will cause an abortion of any pups and sterility in both sire and dam.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post

It's really weird that you had 2 females lined up to stud to your dog that early. I'm not going to say that he's not a great dog, but he's really too young to know anything about him. He probably is almost filled out but not quite, and he's not titled in anything as of yet.

This isn't anything against you, but mostly against the potential bitch owners. If I was ever asked to stud my dog by someone that I really respected in the breeding community I wouldn't think twice about it (they know what they're doing), but if its just anyone, I wouldn't do it. Sorry to be blunt but it doesn't sound like they care that much about the breeding pair. There are a lot of males out there that are probably much more breed worthy than your dog (and your dog is probably more breed worthy than mine, so don't take offense to that), so just from what you've described I wouldn't trust any of those owners, to me it sounds like they wan't money (I know you don't) and want to tell their buyers that the sire is a trained drug dog.

See that is exactly why I was asking about it b/c it didn't sound like it was a good set up from the get go. Especially for how much he said he was going to stud him for and that he wasn't registered etc. I e-mailed the man that I got him from and he is getting me the info on the pedigree and the rest of the documents that he has on him so I can see everything and work from there to see if it's a good idea or not. I was surprised when he said there were 2 females already lined up, so I assume he has bred with them in the past. This is all the stuff I want to find out ahead of time before I make a decision on what to do. I don't want to breed him just to breed him with whoever.
frpringle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Also, make sure you're investigating the females as closely as we're advising you to check your male. You want a brucellosis (doggie STD) test from both male and female partners. You want to make sure the females have good bloodlines and hip/elbow OFA certifications at a minimum. Unfortunately there are people out there who want to breed their females to anything that resembles the same breed so they can sell puppies and make money. It sounds like you're wanting to avoid that and do it right. In German Shepherds, the only way to get close to doing it right is with hip and elbow certifications at a minimum, along with good bloodlines that complement each other.
Thank you, I will make sure to have him tested if we do go forward with breeding in the future, and also make sure to require it before I breed him with the females. I don't want to do anything that will be harmful to him/or another dog. I appreciate the advice!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #38 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Make sure to post all the info from the paperwork you get. At the very least, you'll learn your dogs lineage which can be pretty cool.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narny View Post
Exactly!

I have not seen the OP being upset by us asking questions... they seem to REALLY want to know if this is a good idea or not. They have NO IDEA if this is whats right so they wants to know and ARE ASKING. Saying that if you arent a professional they shouldn't breed or saying that its money motivated (before any such evidence has been established) is just too harsh.

The OP is right, you have to start somewhere and from what I can tell they have been completely open and honest about his situation and wanting information.

If you think something even if its negative you could ask, it is the money that motivates you? What is your experience with the dogs etc and wait to see the responses. Jumping to conclusions is just plain wrong.
Yes, I was a bit offended b/c I felt like I was being attacked for trying to find out the correct information and the way to go about it. I appreciate the suggestions to others to be more helpful, because I would rather someone give me good advice and helpful suggestions so that I could see what I should/shouldn't do than to have someone sit me right off and say no. That is only more frustrating and unhelpful. I hope someone coming on this forum in the future will have a better welcoming than I did. I have already set up an appointment with a local breeder who has been breeding German Shepherds for many years and actually used to groom my last GSD for me, so I will continue looking to him for advice and guidance.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
Make sure to post all the info from the paperwork you get. At the very least, you'll learn your dogs lineage which can be pretty cool.
Thank you I will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.