How do I breed my black male GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How do I breed my black male GSD?

Hi guys,

can anyone help with tips on how to begin? My dog is 15 months old and male so I am looking for a mate for him in the Maryland area and how best to proceed.

Thanks!
glenraipuria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

First welcome to the forum... hold on to your pants because youre new and we know nothing about you so prepare for a ZILLION questions.

I would first start by reading the other threads in this forum about breeding.

Why do you want to breed your dog?
Narny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Can you post his pedigree?

Health test results?

Titles he's earned?

What are you looking to produce in the puppies?

What are you hoping to improve by breeding your boy?

I am sure more questions will come up, but these should be able to give everyone a little more information.

Thanks!
N Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The best way to proceed is to get into training/titling to show why your dog is breedworthy. Make a name for yourself and him. You do have his pedigree, right?
Hip/elbow/DM and other health tests should be done as well. Get conformation ratings on your male, too. Then maybe a breeder will think about using him. Brucellosis testing should be done on both before breeding so you aren't taking chances.
15 months is still a puppy so you have time to do the health tests, etc. Titles take awhile if you are doing it right and not rushing....are you currently training?
Many breeders don't use random stud dogs, there are so many good ones with titles, why would they use a dog that has none?
Good breeders will look at pedigrees, and be knowledgeable of them, to be sure the pairing will work for the pups, not against them.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 03-26-2012 at 06:58 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just follow the flow chart!

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenraipuria View Post
Hi guys,

can anyone help with tips on how to begin? My dog is 15 months old and male so I am looking for a mate for him in the Maryland area and how best to proceed.

Thanks!
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
Careful to not choke on that popcorn.
chelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hmmmmm. Well now. I expect you would breed your black male the same as you would breed a black and tan or sable.

By starting with a dog, this is a whole lot harder for you. It makes sense. A bitch goes into heat twice a year, and most people only want to breed them one time a year. So a bitch owner will travel distance, and pay good money to use the best stud dog for her bitch. She wants to use this cycle to the best advantage. So if the bitch is any quality at all, then they are not going to breed her to your dog unless you can prove him inside and out.

How do you go about doing that? Pedigree is important, definitely needs to be considered with every breeding, but it tells you only what is behind your dog, not who your dog is, and what he brings to the table. You need to build a resume for your dog. You need to have health checks, and you will want to have some titles on the dog to prove that he can be trained to a certain level. Or, if he is a working dog, list is current position and his accomplishments. A bitch owner can always find a dog owner willing to breed to the their bitch, because a dog can service many bitches in the course of a year, but a bitch owner needs more than that.

While you are building up your resume, you need to define what you want to breed for. You told us very little. The dog is black and 15 months old. What you need to define is your dog's strong points, his weak points, what you want to improve, what you hope for in the puppies, temperament, health, trainability, structure, etc. Your dog is not perfect, no dog is. You need to be able to look at your dog with a critical eye and recognize those areas where he can be better, and breed to a bitch that is correct in that area, whose sire and dam are correct in that area, etc.

I suppose the place to start is if you have a reputable breeder, that is a good place to get going. He/She will know your pup's history, and perhaps evaluate him for breeding, He may be able to give you good suggestions on who to breed to, and more importantly, who to breed away from. Ask questions about the dogs, so that you can understand why your breeder is suggesting whatever.

Even with all your ducks lined up in a row, it still may be difficult to get bitch owners to take a chance on you and your untested stud (one that has not produced a litter).

Good luck.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.