Question for GSD breeders: - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Question for GSD breeders:

I love German Shepherds and want to breed them someday (German Show lines or Working lines). I would want a fairly small kennel with no more than 3 dogs. Would this be ok? I know most breeders probably have more dogs than that, but I am planning on going to Veterinary college and won't start breeding until after graduation. I also know that breeding is not at all easy, but I would like to get an idea of what it would take and how to keep a well managed kennel with healthy dogs. I also want to do Schutzhund training with my breeding dogs, so I am considering German Show line or German/Czech Working lines. I already know a lot about each of the lines, but would like some more information from breeders.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line

Last edited by HarleyTheGSD; 03-17-2012 at 01:33 PM.
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The show lines get titled (now IPO) if the breeders follow the SV system....but show line breeders concentrate on showing as a sport activity and parameters for choosing their breeding stock.

Working line breeders will show their dogs to get their show ratings for their koer classing - but do not concentrate on going to conformation shows as a fun activity - they generally are more focused on the training and trials to do the IPO titles and will take dogs to multiple trials as a fun activity...

My working line dogs are a blend of WGWL, DDR, Belgian and recently some Czech....I have young upcoming females of all WGR (Panther), Belgian WGR (Hexe), Belgian DDR WGR (Bengal) and then a Czech, DDR, WGR, Belgian (Kyra and Kira!)....

Is this PC enough???

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thank you, this information was helpful, but what is your opinion on breeding a German Show line with a Czech Working line? So somewhat "standardizing" the breed. And I know there are probably breeders that have done this already, but I kind of like the idea. Could you still do Schutzhund training with these dogs?

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
Old 03-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would suggest going out and titling a dog first. Seeing all the work that goes into getting a title on a dog, and in a time that would still allow you to breed that dog. Crossing of lines is very questionable, you can't think in the way of "Can you still do x with this dog?" You should think in more, "What are the puppies going to be like?" Remember, most likely only a small percentage of your dogs will go on to be SchH dogs.

There are people on both sides of the fence about crossing lines. Sometimes it works out great (I have a 1/2 west german and 1/2 DDR), other times you have issues because the drives don't balance each other out. There are also many purists that want to keep lines separate.

Not to say you won't have the time to do this, but breeding properly is a huge time commitment. If you really want to be a vet, you'll have a hard time finding the time needed to train and show your dogs. I know that I currently don't have the time to even work mine in SchH (so I don't) and much less think about getting him to the standard of breeding him.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Now that I think about it, I think I like the idea of kepping the different lines seperate, this way you would have distinct traits for each line. After I graduate Vet school and if I realize I don't have the time to breed GSDs, I would like to own a stud dog. Can you only breed a stud dog if you have a breeding program, or can you just buy one as a puppy from a breeder? I know this is risky considering that I wouldn't know if the dog will be fertile or not, or if he will have the qulalities, temperament, and drive I'm looking for.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
Old 03-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD View Post
Now that I think about it, I think I like the idea of kepping the different lines seperate, this way you would have distinct traits for each line. After I graduate Vet school and if I realize I don't have the time to breed GSDs, I would like to own a stud dog. Can you only breed a stud dog if you have a breeding program, or can you just buy one as a puppy from a breeder? I know this is risky considering that I wouldn't know if the dog will be fertile or not, or if he will have the qulalities, temperament, and drive I'm looking for.
There is a thread called Ice Berg Breeders I think Cliffson started it.
Maybe someone can link it for you. Read it all and you will have a much better understanding about how diffficult proper breeding is.
I am definitely not a breeder but that was a great thread. Lots of information in there.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have some questions for you
What is your goal as a breeder? What do you think you will do to better the breed? How will your breeding program influence the breed as a whole? What goal are you furthering by owning a stud dog?

I know a couple people that just own a stud dog, but I wouldn't call that a breeding program. They work with the breeder that actually bred the dog or local broker that imported him to help stud him out to appropriate females.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Anyone can own a stud dog - but few will want to breed to him unless you put a lot of time into his training and titling, or if you spend a lot of money on a titled dog.

Most people keep show and working lines separate - crossing the two sounds like a good idea in theory but you lose consistency and often end up with the worst of both lines. Crossing the different types of working lines is okay IF you know what you're doing in terms of temperament and drives. The wrong cross could turn out badly but many are crossing the lines with great success.
JRT's: ARCHX Gizmo TT RL1X RL2X RL3 & Cricket RL3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
phgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

When you talk about owning just 3 dogs are you meaning 3 females? A good breeding program is founded on good females. IMO there is little need to keep males when you only have a couple of girls. Far better to take advantage of the vast genetics around the world to build your program.

If you plan on developing a program and not just buying new females when needed you had better plan on eventually keeping more than 3 dogs. You will need to keep back at least one female from each bitch to continue on with your line. Of course some breeders place their older bitches when they are done breeding which helps keep the population down.

Just some more things to consider.

There are people that cross the show with work. They attempt to maintain a very strong bitch line and cross out to good males and then keep the best for the future. You will need to plan on being very picky in your choices and at times maybe not getting what you want.

As someone said earlier, get some experience first. The more knowledge you have the better able you will be to make educated breeding decisions.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
I have some questions for you
What is your goal as a breeder? What do you think you will do to better the breed? How will your breeding program influence the breed as a whole? What goal are you furthering by owning a stud dog?

I know a couple people that just own a stud dog, but I wouldn't call that a breeding program. They work with the breeder that actually bred the dog or local broker that imported him to help stud him out to appropriate females.
-My goal as a breeder is to produce dogs with exeptional, loyal temperament, sturdy, well balanced structure, and to provide people with an outstanding, protective family dog or a loyal companion.
-My breeding program would influence the breed by producing well structured, loyal, protective, hard working, loving dogs and provide resposible dog owners with an amazing companion.
-By owning a German show line/working line stud dog, I will allow other breeders to breed their bitch with an outstanding quality dog and therefore, produce dogs that are the same.

I know that I would have to look at the bitch's pedigree to see if there are any genetic disorders in her generation, and if there is, I would not allow that bitch to be bred to my stud dog.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.