Question for GSD breeders: - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #31 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Brittany, I am wondering what you are doing NOW? In terms of training and showing? Are you working on titling your current dog? Are you going to shows? What is your dog knowledge? I know plenty of girls ofvyour age who are doing just that.
It is easy to read and parrot back a writeup of what it takes to be a responsible breeder and making claims that you will do it. None of that is going to happen if you don't connect to reality.

Anybody can say: I love breeding, I am going to have the perfect dogs with no or temperament or health issues that are going to have the prefect babies which are going to go to perfect homes and never get returned or end up homeless. Everybody wants that in a perfect world.

I don't see you moving away from theory and connecting reality over all these threads.
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #32 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelGSD View Post
Brittany, I am wondering what you are doing NOW? In terms of training and showing? Are you working on titling your current dog? Are you going to shows? What is your dog knowledge? I know plenty of girls ofvyour age who are doing just that.
It is easy to read and parrot back a writeup of what it takes to be a responsible breeder and making claims that you will do it. None of that is going to happen if you don't connect to reality.

Anybody can say: I love breeding, I am going to have the perfect dogs with no or temperament or health issues that are going to have the prefect babies which are going to go to perfect homes and never get returned or end up homeless. Everybody wants that in a perfect world.

I don't see you moving away from theory and connecting reality over all these threads.
I am no professional trainer, but I have trained my German Shepherd, Harley, the following; sit, stay, sit from down position, down, sit-stay, down-stay, heel, heel-stay ( recall, sit on my left side, and stay), and shake.
I am not going to be titling my current dog.
I have not been to any shows in person, but plan to do so in the future.
I am still studying dog breeds, physiology, diseases/illnesses, temperaments of different breeds, and wanted characteristics/traits of different dog breeds, and I, of course, am still doing lots of research, and haven't even covered all that I have posted.

I understand what you are saying. I am in my own fantasy world where I will have the perfect dog and it will produce the perfect offspring, and all of them will find good homes. I realize that if I do breed, maybe about 80 percent of the offspring I produce will end up in shelters, or on the street. I know that I will probably never even find the perfect dog in the first place. This is why I posted this thread in the first place. To get information and to let people share their own opinions. I now know that breeding isn't easy and there will be discomforts, but I will do more research and talk to experienced breeders in person.
Right now, I am just considering breeding in the future.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 04:06 AM   #33 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD View Post
I am not going to be titling my current dog.
Why not?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #34 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Why not?
I definately want to, but I can't, because he is very nervous, skittish, and scared around people (but he is very indifferent with other dogs). ~I got him at 4 months old unsocialized and his fear of people never went away, no matter how much I got him around people. He is doing much better though, now that he is 2 years old. He will bark at people (he never attacks, which is good) and his tail will stand straight in the air, which tells me he has more confidence. He also will protect me if the situation calls for it. <--- This all happens at home, if I'm walking him near a park, he will just hide underneath a bench.~
With him being like this, I don't think he would be able to pass SchH1.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
Old 03-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #35 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You could try for a BH. Not saying he will pass (may have issues with the last part of meeting new people, being left unattended or being around bikes/skates), but it will be invaluable for you to gain the experience. Your first sport dog, even if he doesn't accomplish much, will be crucial in teaching YOU more than him
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #36 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
You could try for a BH. Not saying he will pass (may have issues with the last part of meeting new people, being left unattended or being around bikes/skates), but it will be invaluable for you to gain the experience. Your first sport dog, even if he doesn't accomplish much, will be crucial in teaching YOU more than him
So do you think I could still try out for it? Could I get training tips from a Schutzhund club? I would definately go for a BH just to get more experience, and my dog would at least be well trained, and he might even relax a little more around people.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
Old 03-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #37 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You have to do a BH before trying for IPO1 so your club will certainly be able to help you achieve that level. BH is more like a CGC because it is an obedience and temperament test. Not like IPO that has the three phases and is a lot harder. At my club, we have a guy that has been working on his dog for several years now and he is perfectly happy knowing that it took him this long. The dog is now 6 and ready for his IPO1. The dog will never be bred and his IPO1 is just for fun so there is no reason why you can't try for titles. Just because you might not get it doesn't mean you can't have lots of fun participating and practicing. Also, that dog is ROCK solid on obedience because the handler worked on that aspect for so long. This dog will run circles around us during obedience. Taking it nice and slow has its rewards

Here are some links:
BH rules | BH test rules | Begleithund German Temperament Test Rules | BH commands, heeling pattern, and scoring
New Titles and Regulations
BH Rules

Read as much as you can about the BH. Be honest and up front with your club about your goals. You can tell them about your dog's limitations and they will help you from there. Go for it. You learn by doing!
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #38 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
You have to do a BH before trying for IPO1 so your club will certainly be able to help you achieve that level. BH is more like a CGC because it is an obedience and temperament test. Not like IPO that has the three phases and is a lot harder. At my club, we have a guy that has been working on his dog for several years now and he is perfectly happy knowing that it took him this long. The dog is now 6 and ready for his IPO1. The dog will never be bred and his IPO1 is just for fun so there is no reason why you can't try for titles. Just because you might not get it doesn't mean you can't have lots of fun participating and practicing. Also, that dog is ROCK solid on obedience because the handler worked on that aspect for so long. This dog will run circles around us during obedience. Taking it nice and slow has its rewards

Here are some links:
BH rules | BH test rules | Begleithund German Temperament Test Rules | BH commands, heeling pattern, and scoring
New Titles and Regulations
BH Rules

Read as much as you can about the BH. Be honest and up front with your club about your goals. You can tell them about your dog's limitations and they will help you from there. Go for it. You learn by doing!
Thanks!
Also, my dog is an American GSD, not show line though. Will it still be ok for me to go for a BH?

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
Old 03-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #39 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Yes, any dog of any breed can do a BH. Even mutts. It is an evaluation of control and willingness to work with a handler, not of the pedigree.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #40 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Yes, any dog of any breed can do a BH. Even mutts. It is an evaluation of control and willingness to work with a handler, not of the pedigree.
Well then that's perfect.
Thanks!

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.