Question for GSD breeders: - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Wonderful post, Catu!
Agreed.

How far in the future is this potential breeding going to begin?
PaddyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #22 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Wonderful post, Catu!
Agreed!
dawnandjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 12:35 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD View Post
-By owning a German show line/working line stud dog, I will allow other breeders to breed their bitch with an outstanding quality dog and therefore, produce dogs that are the same.

I know that I would have to look at the bitch's pedigree to see if there are any genetic disorders in her generation, and if there is, I would not allow that bitch to be bred to my stud dog.

Starting out your breeding program with a male is probably the hardest way to go. Look at it this way, if you owned a female that you raised, trained, titled and got the health certifications done, who would you want to breed her to? Most(if they don't own their own male to use) will go out and find a male that has the most accolades, the highest title you can find, a koerklasse rating, and hopefully a dog that has participated in the highest level, Regional, National or even World competitions (working line or showline, each has their own brass rings). So unless you have the skill to train, title and compete at that level, most people who own a breedworthy female are not going to breed to a nice looking dog with no certifications or the bare minimums. If they are willing to breed their female indiscriminately then they are not what most would consider a true advocate of the breed, and you don't want your male's reputation attached to that.
You have plenty of time, get out to some clubs and conformation events and watch the different lines work. Experience their temperament and overall demeanor and then decide where to start. If you truly get the Conformation bug, then you won't enjoy trying to win with a working line, conversely, if you get the Schutzhund bug, you will probably enjoy training and competing with a dog from working lines.

Good luck whichever way you go!

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #24 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thank you to everybody that posted, all of your replies helped tremendously! Now I realize that breeding or even owning one stud dog is much more difficult than I thought, and I am fixed on getting a stud dog. I am willing to go to clubs and conformation shows to have a better understanding of how the German lines work, and I will get out and ask breeders and Schutzhund trainers more questions. I am also willing to get my stud dog titled, trained, and into any competitions I can get into. I am very determined and will do whatever I can to reach my goals.
And don't worry, I will do much much more research and look closely at both lines in person.

Thank you again everybody!!

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #25 (permalink)

Good luck Brittany!
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Brittany, do you have a mentor? I think that is the most important thing for anyone wishing to get into dogs.

I think the key is to get a good quality pup, with a solid pedigree, raise, train, and title that pup, show and get a koer rating, and when all that is said and done, see if you still want to do that over and over and over again...

THEN see if you still want to be a breeder!
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD View Post
I am also willing to get my stud dog titled, trained, and into any competitions I can get into.
Why not get your dog titled, trained, and into any competitions you can get into, before deciding if you are going to stud him?
Catu's Pack
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #28 (permalink)
Elite Member

Brittany, get out and about, see dogs, learn from others, find a breeder you like, buy the best boy you can, train and trial him while finishing your studies and starting your career. By the time you are ready to start breeding , you will have no student loans and will own your own place with enough land to have a couple of dogs, your first dog will most likely be retired, but you will have learned so very much from him. You are now ready for more...I am sure with all the training and trialling you have seen dogs you like and don't...Use that info and the friends and breeders you know and trust and search for dog # 2, male or female, won't matter as training, trialling will take several years, health testings being done, and if this dog turns out and has no issues you and others don't like, here is the start of your breeding..then you will know where you are going.

And I know young people think everything must be done quick...there is no quick success, your first dog may be super and you might get some stud service, but the learning you will get is most important. As well too often young people with great intentions have limited finances to back it up. Often renting and at the whim of renters on if they can keep their dog. Jobs are easy to loose so extra expenses become more difficult, especially if paying off debt, a sick dog, training costs, trialling costs etc, may be out of your reach.. I know you would never give up your dog for boy friends, babies etc, but too often we hear of it, and what will you do if the dog and boy friend don't like each other?? Many thoughts to think of. Wait, there is lots of time
trudy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catu View Post
Why not get your dog titled, trained, and into any competitions you can get into, before deciding if you are going to stud him?
Hmm. So that I would know what he is capable of? I should do that. And if something goes wrong to where I cannot stud him and I lose a lot of money, I will still have an amazing, loyal, protective companion.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
Old 03-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #30 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudy View Post
Brittany, get out and about, see dogs, learn from others, find a breeder you like, buy the best boy you can, train and trial him while finishing your studies and starting your career. By the time you are ready to start breeding , you will have no student loans and will own your own place with enough land to have a couple of dogs, your first dog will most likely be retired, but you will have learned so very much from him. You are now ready for more...I am sure with all the training and trialling you have seen dogs you like and don't...Use that info and the friends and breeders you know and trust and search for dog # 2, male or female, won't matter as training, trialling will take several years, health testings being done, and if this dog turns out and has no issues you and others don't like, here is the start of your breeding..then you will know where you are going.

And I know young people think everything must be done quick...there is no quick success, your first dog may be super and you might get some stud service, but the learning you will get is most important. As well too often young people with great intentions have limited finances to back it up. Often renting and at the whim of renters on if they can keep their dog. Jobs are easy to loose so extra expenses become more difficult, especially if paying off debt, a sick dog, training costs, trialling costs etc, may be out of your reach.. I know you would never give up your dog for boy friends, babies etc, but too often we hear of it, and what will you do if the dog and boy friend don't like each other?? Many thoughts to think of. Wait, there is lots of time
I will do lots of research and will wait until I know for sure that I am ready. I will also talk to breeders in person and ask questions.
I agree when you said; "your first dog may be super and you might get some stud service, but the learning you will get is most important". Even if my stud dog doesn't get any service, I will have the knowledge and will be able to keep trying and I will know what to look for.
And you are right, I will not let any boys get in the way. And if the boyfriend and the dog don't get along....well he'll just have to either deal with it or leave.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.