Dog / kennel name that does NOT sound german? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TxFig Send a message via MSN to TxFig Send a message via Yahoo to TxFig Send a message via Skype™ to TxFig
Default Dog / kennel name that does NOT sound german?

I know my grandfather would be upset with me (being that he immigrated from Germany in the early 1900's), but...

1) How badly would I be looked down at if I named my new pup with a non-German sounding name?

2) I already have a kennel name from the few litters we produced of Labrador Retrievers (before I retired from playing the field games): Cornerstone Retrievers (not the one in florida).
How bad would it be if I kept it if and when I ever get that involved with German Shepherds?
TxFig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Depends on how well known Cornerstone Retrievers was. Why wouldn't you use "von Eckstein" which is from Cornerstone in German? Or "Vom Grundstein" also means cornerstone or foundation stone (depends on the translation)

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!

Last edited by bocron; 02-28-2012 at 02:52 PM.
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Nothing at all wrong with having a non-German kennel name. The only thing to be aware of is that there tends to be a trend in GSDs where most English names are associated with American show lines, and most German names with European lines (show or working). Not that you can't breed Euro lines with an English name, or American lines with a German name... you certainly can. Just something to be aware of as a lot of people might assume the type of lines based just on the kennel name and depending on what sort of lines you desire to breed, that may be something that would matter to you, or it may not.

As far as kennel names go Cornerstone would be a good one. Though of course you should make sure that it isn't a name already in use by another GSD breeder.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What Chris said.

I tend to do the same thing - if I see 'Dancer's Wild Star' (or whatever composes an AKC name), I assume American lines. If I see Von/Vom -somethingIcan'tpronounce- I assume European.
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konotashi View Post
What Chris said.

I tend to do the same thing - if I see 'Dancer's Wild Star' (or whatever composes an AKC name), I assume American lines. If I see Von/Vom -somethingIcan'tpronounce- I assume European.

Thats funny!... but so true!
Old 02-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Very true--I generally assume (with a few notable exceptions) that if the kennel name is English the line is ASL, and if the kennel name is German, the line is European.

I always wondered how you would translate "Freestep" into German. I tried the Google translator for the literal, but I don't know if it would really make sense.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You can give your puppy whatever "first name" or call name you like. They don't have to be German. Mine are Rocky and Kopper--certainly not German names.

However, if you're planning to breed be aware that your kennel name is part of marketing. If I'm in the market for a Euro line dog and I see "Cornerstone's Maximus" I'm not likely to give a second glance, just assuming that it's not a breeding I'm interested in.

When you purchase a puppy, your purchase contract might require you to name your dog with the name of the kennel that produced him/her. By my purchase contract, my puppy was required to be named K_________ vom Felsschlucht Bach. The only thing I got to pick was a first name that started with K. You may not be able to name a dog __________ vom Cornerstone or Cornerstone's ______________ until you breed one yourself.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.