I Want To Breed. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 12:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Smile I Want To Breed.

I've been thinking a lot about breeding German Shepherd Dogs one day. I really do want to breed them the more I think about it. I want to breed West German Showline, and my breeder is going to help me. Thank goodness. I don't want to be a back yard breeder and breed for money. I want to be known as a trustworthy breeder, and a breeder people respect. I want to breed because I love the German Shepherd Dog breed, I want my dogs' to be an ambassdor for the breed, I want them to have sound temperament, workability, amazing pet qaulity, healthy, and of course I'd love for the police to beable to use my dogs'. That would be an honor, as well as search and rescue, therapy, and just about everything else! I'm posting here because to be a breeder you also have to be knowledgable, even more knowledgable with the breed then I am already. I won't be breeding for awhile as I'm 17 years old, and I want to breed when I'm around 20ish. So any tips or advice is welcome!
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 01:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm not a breeder but I do know producing solid dogs and being a responsible breeder takes a lot of money and a lot of time. While your goals sound like you're on the right track, your time frame sounds very tight... you want to start breeding in the next 3-5 years? Will you have the money for all the vet bills by then? Getting your dog(s) hips and elbows checked? Will you have had the time to title or even just show the dogs you want to breed, especially considering you want to breed show lines?

Not saying you can't do it just suggesting that maybe instead of wanting to breed that soon, take those years and try and learn everything you can about what is involved. Maybe try and figure out how to work with breeders in your area? Do it right, not on a time frame...

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000
Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007
Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
sashadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 01:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashadog View Post
I'm not a breeder but I do know producing solid dogs and being a responsible breeder takes a lot of money and a lot of time. While your goals sound like you're on the right track, your time frame sounds very tight... you want to start breeding in the next 3-5 years? Will you have the money for all the vet bills by then? Getting your dog(s) hips and elbows checked? Will you have had the time to title or even just show the dogs you want to breed, especially considering you want to breed show lines?

Not saying you can't do it just suggesting that maybe instead of wanting to breed that soon, take those years and try and learn everything you can about what is involved. Maybe try and figure out how to work with breeders in your area? Do it right, not on a time frame...

Maybe I should have mentioned that it also depends. I'm not saying I'm going to breed them around that time. I'm willing to work hard to get what I want out of my dogs', so if that means zero breeding when I'm 20ish, then I'm all for it. Getting qaulity dogs is work, and I'm willing to work. Tittles, health, money, good dogs', vet, etc is what is most important to me!
Old 02-23-2012, 01:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Then I wish you good luck! Hopefully we'll be hearing about your wonderful dogs someday

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000
Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007
Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
sashadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 01:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashadog View Post
Then I wish you good luck! Hopefully we'll be hearing about your wonderful dogs someday

Thank you so much! That'd be so cool!!
Old 02-23-2012, 01:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Breeding is a VERY involved process and while I admire that you are taking the time to recognize the importance of titles, health testing, and finding good dogs. Without having a nicer way of putting this, its really far much deeper than that. Its a fantastic place to start, but you shouldn't start just because you have a starting point.

You should learn about dog body language, why would you benefit from this? Because as you are raising your own dogs, purchasing dogs, viewing potential dogs for breeding etc. its important to recognize if a dog is visually uncomfortable. Then comes into play WHY that dog is visually uncomfortable. Is the trainer/handler extremely hard on the dog and the dog cannot handle it? Does the dog have handler sensitivity but overall hardness to its environment? Does the dog hate loud noises? etc.
You certainly don't want to breed a dog with an unstable temperament or too much aggression or too much fear. And you need to learn to recognize what kind of fear you are dealing with. What is genetics and what is nurture?

Then that aside, you need to learn what goes into training a dog, the different training styles etc. Because if you intend on titling a dog, you need to find the working ability in an individual dog that suits your needs the best. Not every dog works the same, in fact every last one of them is different. Similar but different.
What are your goals for breeding? To get a dog out of the litter to keep for yourself and have fun titling until the next litter? To produce a bunch of pets to sell? to produce a bunch of show dogs and potentially keep one to campaign yourself?

Understand the standard of this breed, and the standards of other breeds to compare. Why does this breed require the things it says in the standard? Where does the line get drawn at extremes in both drives, and structure. What does this look like in person when you get your hands on the dog? How do you recognize conformation in movement, and then in a stack? What sort of things can you hide in the stack with specific photographs and how do you find these things out to make sure you don't pick out the bad dogs.

Learn how to tell the difference between drives in dogs. What is prey drive? What does it look like? What is defense drive? what does it look like? etc. This will give you more insight into how a dog was trained.

How do you find the right dogs and evaluate them for your breeding program? Will you title all of your own dogs? You should probably gain an understanding of the sport you intend to title your dogs in before you consider using the first dog you trained as a breeding prospect.
If you don't understand everything that goes into training the dog and why you had to do it this or that way for this specific dog, then you won't have the know-how to match that dog correctly with another to improve upon their qualities.

You say you want dogs that can be used with police departments. Please keep in mind that is a vastly different dog than an amazing pet quality dog. Most people consider a pet quality dog to be one who lays on the floor quietly by the fire staring up at them with longing eyes all day long with little to no exercise.

There are many dogs who can work, but each one works for different reasons, different lines of German Shepherds require different types of work to bring them out in the best way. All of which on the surface looks like the same thing. When you dig deeper each dog has a different fundamental reason for doing the work they are doing.

This is just breaking the surface. I just wanted to give you a heads up and say good for you for going for what you believe in and want. But think less about the overall picture of trying to get a litter of puppies as soon as possible. Slow down, enjoy the ride, learn as much as you can, from as many people as you can (because no matter what you will ALWAYS deal with biases from every party), and when you get there, the blood, sweat and tears will be that much more worthwhile and the dogs you produce will be completely worth it. You won't regret a minute of it. You are 17, take your time, there really is no rush.
"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
4TheDawgies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 01:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My only advice is to start getting involved in the dog world ASAP if you aren't already.

If you want breed show lines, start showing and start working dogs. Get in the game and learn before you start even thinking about breeding.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't think there is any thing wrong with wanting to be a breeder. As far as I can tell, you want to learn as much as possible before actually breeding and that is a great thing. We are always going to have an abundance of uninformed breeders so IMO we need people to breed who want to do their homework first. Good luck and have fun in your quest! My only advice is to take your time and develop a very deep understanding of the breed first.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Heck, I grew up with breeding and know a lot about what the GSD should be, pedigrees, how to pair dogs, where to find those dogs and I don't jump right into it and have the guidance of my parents if I do want to have a litter.

The problem with these kind of things is:
- do you have the money to be a breeder?

What kind of venue do you want to be involved in to show that your dogs can work? There are not many people that can build a reputation, have their dogs in working venues while their dogs are not titled at all. There are very few people who can pull that off and they've build their reputation over years and years of breeding good dogs, yet not titling at all.

Breeding is very expensive. It's not just putting those two dogs together. It's what you have invested from day one. You already started investing. If you add everything together, from day one until the day you finally breed a litter. You might have been able to buy a house for all of that money that went into the dogs, training etc.

Do you have the space for breeding?

Do you have the neighbors for breeding?

Do you have the money?

Do you have the knowledge?

Do you know how heartbreaking it is to lose an entire litter to Parvo or something else?

Do you know how hard it is to raise and bottle-feed an entire litter because the dam doesn't accept the puppies?

Just look of how much trouble all those reputable breeders go through to create the dogs they are trying to create.

Yeah, I'll probably have a litter somewhere down the road but even with my background I am hesitant to do it. Mainly because there are so many breeders out there already.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

@ 4dawgs....I would venture that 90% of the people on this forum that breed don't have the extensive knowledge that you list should be prerequisite to breeding.....so how should I interpret that???
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.