I Want To Breed. - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyShepherd View Post
I completely agree.

And as someone who is well into their 20's with lots of harsh lessons learned (career and financially). Make sure to be comfortable with money and a career first. This way you can not only be comfortable with funding your program, but also have something to fall back on just in case. If your breeding program doesn't produce like you'd like, at least your base income is still coming in and you wont be in any danger of losing control of bills..... this way, you can always try again!

The way I see goals like this is (my opinion.. doesn't have to be shared by anyone)... they start as a hobby that's fueled by a passion. Now, hobby's don't usually make a valuable income.... sometimes none at all. But, they bring joy and happiness and the pursuit of what will make your life fulfilled. However, in order to get there, the rest of your life needs to be in place.... all the ducks have to be in a row. Once they are there... Go for it! But, before then, you would be not only taking a huge leap of faith, but also a disservice to yourself. Don't let yourself have an easy fail point.... set yourself up for success.

Okay, thank you.
RileyMay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #52 (permalink)

For me, the draw of breeding someday would be to title and exhibit B-HOT dogs. To me that seems like a greater accomplishment than other people titling dogs I bred or me titling dogs someone else bred. Also I can see the draw of being able to supply myself with the sorts of dogs that I like to train.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #53 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
For me, the draw of breeding someday would be to title and exhibit B-HOT dogs. To me that seems like a greater accomplishment than other people titling dogs I bred or me titling dogs someone else bred. Also I can see the draw of being able to supply myself with the sorts of dogs that I like to train.
I agree.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #54 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Same here. Although it is nice to know that I am not the only one titling the dogs that I breed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home of Ch Doll; U-CDx Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP OA AXJ(ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Natty; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #55 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I never thought it would be so hard to title a dog...I'm 23 and on my first one and with a full time job its pretty exhausting. I think the reason people are saying get a job first is because then you realize why many breeders have jobs that allow them to spend a lot of time with their dogs. They are people that train religiously and it shows in their dogs. I think until you go through it once with a dog you don't quite understand the time commitment it takes, and I'm talking about AKC not SchH (that's an even bigger commitment). Many of the dogs at my club don't get a CD until they are at least 2 years old, and really its the experienced retired people that even have a chance to get a CD or CDX before the dog is 2. I can't imagine trying to do this with more than one dog at a time.

So I completely understand all the experience comments, until you go through the process of getting a dog to UDX or Sch3, I don't think you have any idea what it would take to be a reputable breeder.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #56 (permalink)

Honestly I think everyone is too focused on this arbitrary checklist of when someone can breed dogs. I know people who are mature, have plenty of space and wealth with time to spare and shouldn't own a 15 cent feeder fish yet alone be breeding dogs. I also know someone my age (mid-20s) who already has a really nice breeding planned with six or so already spoken for (breeding has not even taken place yet). It doesn't matter if you have 100 acres, are independently wealthy, and have spent three decades around dogs, you still might not have dogs worth breeding. I sort of subscribe to the "it takes a village" mantra with regard to breeding top dogs. You've got the owner of the female but many times that person is being mentored by someone else or at the very least has input and support from a Schutzhund club or some time of breed or performance club, then you are working with the possible stud owners, the possible puppy families... it takes a lot for successful breeding outside of what the individual breeder brings to the table.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #57 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
I never thought it would be so hard to title a dog...I'm 23 and on my first one and with a full time job its pretty exhausting. I think the reason people are saying get a job first is because then you realize why many breeders have jobs that allow them to spend a lot of time with their dogs. They are people that train religiously and it shows in their dogs. I think until you go through it once with a dog you don't quite understand the time commitment it takes, and I'm talking about AKC not SchH (that's an even bigger commitment). Many of the dogs at my club don't get a CD until they are at least 2 years old, and really its the experienced retired people that even have a chance to get a CD or CDX before the dog is 2. I can't imagine trying to do this with more than one dog at a time.

So I completely understand all the experience comments, until you go through the process of getting a dog to UDX or Sch3, I don't think you have any idea what it would take to be a reputable breeder.
I can title (AKC -- not schutzhund -- not my thing) my own dogs. I have titled dogs I bred. What is neat is when someone else takes a pup you bred and titles that pup. I think I was as proud of the pup as her owner was.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.