I Want To Breed. - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #41 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Also someone interested in breeding should go out and make their hands dirty with real dogs ASAP. You should already be out there with your mentor showing, training and handling dogs. Reading books cannot substitute hands on experience with a 90lbs strong willed dog.
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #42 (permalink)
Master Member

I think it sounds like you will be a great breeder. You seem very mature and judging from other posts you are a mature and truly devoted lover of the breed.

I wish I had such a level head at your age...I never would have married and bred with my first husband had I looked at his temperment and lines...haha
TaZoR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaZoR View Post
I wish I had such a level head at your age...I never would have married and bred with my first husband had I looked at his temperment and lines...haha
LMAO!
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #44 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Guess she forgot to check his pedigree
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #45 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I didn't see anyone being negative or discouraging. Maybe that's just how I read it.... All I see on here is people giving advice, like she asked. If someone asks, I know I am not going to sugar coat it or lie... I'm going to say the truth.

I personally think the OP (if plans stay the same) will be an amazing breeder.... but... probably not by 20years old. Keeping goals realistic will rarely bring failure... while making goals that are unreachable mostly lead to failure. It's not something that happens quickly, it's a long term goal that you reach for over many years. I also think education comes first, and would hate to see someone drop that for something that honestly wont *make* much money and could possibly wear out. The best thing to have is a solid career first, then lead into breeding. I give my opinion to offer the best advice I can and share some information that may help... which actually comes from some personal experience, except my goal is a Grand Prix 3-day eventer. That's also a large goal that takes a lot of time (especially when you don't have millions in your bank). Anyway, I think everyone was just trying to offer good advice. There has been a lot of great points and information here. I guess everyone just takes it differently.

On a side note... I also agree with what someone said earlier. Since you have a good mentor, take full use of that! Go to shows and training, be there when pups are born and being raised (if possible), learn the ropes from them..... and eventually, you can branch off into your own and throw in your own ways. Pick out what you want to breed, what lines, what do you want to be involved in, what goals do you want for your future kennel...... from there, start going to those events.... go to the clubs and talk to people, watch their dogs and what they expect out of them.... what's maybe a flaw or an unwanted behavior/personality. Since you'll be breeding, you will have to know what you want out of your dogs.

Just some ideas... not discouraging you or telling you NOT to do it. If fact, when the time is right and you do start your program, I am sure you'll have amazing dogs. It's a long process though. Prepare and learn as much as you can now. Literally talk to EVERYONE you can. For right now... the passion is there, and that's a really good start!
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #46 (permalink)
Master Member

Keep the information coming guys. I like the fact that ya'll are being honest with me about this. As for some of the harshness, I guess I need it. Because if it's going to help me become the breeder I want to be, then I will gladly accept it, and it'll be worth it in the end!
RileyMay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #47 (permalink)
Master Member

Definitely something to think about is where you will be living. It is incredibly difficult to find a place that will rent with a German Shepherd, let alone multiple AND a litter of puppies.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #48 (permalink)
Elite Member

As someone just a few years older than you, I honestly feel that getting an education and a career independent from breeding is the most important thing. That way, you can achieve your goal of not breeding for money because your bills won't hinge on you selling the next litter puppies.

It might not seem fun and glorious to pick another career path to supplement breeding, but at 21, the career pressure I feel is alot higher than the career Pressure I felt at 17. Image sure you make the choices that for schooling correctly now, so you are poised to make career decisions when that pressure comes, and can make the best of your opportunities.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #49 (permalink)
Knighted Member

After my debacle with my lab earlier this week I can only say have tons of emergency money set aside, and be prepared for heartache. I almost lost my male in an unintentional oops breeding and aside from it being an expensive oops, if we would have lost him I would have a hard time being okay knowing it could have been prevented. You may spend thousands on honing a schutz dog to lose him or her in a single breeding attempt- just keep that in mind
Zoeys mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #50 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshies View Post
As someone just a few years older than you, I honestly feel that getting an education and a career independent from breeding is the most important thing. That way, you can achieve your goal of not breeding for money because your bills won't hinge on you selling the next litter puppies.

It might not seem fun and glorious to pick another career path to supplement breeding, but at 21, the career pressure I feel is alot higher than the career Pressure I felt at 17. Image sure you make the choices that for schooling correctly now, so you are poised to make career decisions when that pressure comes, and can make the best of your opportunities.
I completely agree.

And as someone who is well into their 20's with lots of harsh lessons learned (career and financially). Make sure to be comfortable with money and a career first. This way you can not only be comfortable with funding your program, but also have something to fall back on just in case. If your breeding program doesn't produce like you'd like, at least your base income is still coming in and you wont be in any danger of losing control of bills..... this way, you can always try again!

The way I see goals like this is (my opinion.. doesn't have to be shared by anyone)... they start as a hobby that's fueled by a passion. Now, hobby's don't usually make a valuable income.... sometimes none at all. But, they bring joy and happiness and the pursuit of what will make your life fulfilled. However, in order to get there, the rest of your life needs to be in place.... all the ducks have to be in a row. Once they are there... Go for it! But, before then, you would be not only taking a huge leap of faith, but also a disservice to yourself. Don't let yourself have an easy fail point.... set yourself up for success.
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.